Compact camera for our world cruise

ijkh

Dear Photo forum,

My DH is giving me my choice of camera for our trip. I have a pocket canon elph (older), a new Iphone 6 but want a small compact automatic capable real camera for the "big trip". I do not want an camera with changable lenses.

Here is my wish list:

a real optical view finder not just digital

opitical view zoom if possible

less than 14 oz in weight

easy to use in variable light.

fancy fish eye or wide view would be fun but not essential

Less than $500 please.

Can you recomend a camera?

Thanks,

Ilene:confused:

Edited by ijkh

I hate to jump out recommending a commercial retail site but BH Photo Video has some very good search features that really help narrow the field when choosing a camera. There are three cameras that come to my mind.

My number one pick but a few hundred above your price range would be the Sony RX-1000 III. I'm a big fan of the RX-1000 cameras. Only the latest III model has a viewfinder and it's digital but it's a pretty good digital that does not increase the overall size of the camera.

The Canon G16 probably comes closest to hitting everything on your wish list. It's sensor is smaller than the Sonys but it's got a fast f/1.8 lens at the wide end and only closes down to f/2.8 at the telephoto end which is a big help in low light situations. It has an optical viewfinder and is less than $500.

Slightly above the G16 in price is the Canon G1 X at about $550. It has a big sensor but it's offset a bit by a slower f2.8 - 5.8 lens.

There is a Fuji and a couple Nikons that also come close to your price range but miss the optical viewfinder which is why the Canons would end up slightly higher on my list.

Dear Photo forum,

My DH is giving me my choice of camera for our trip. I have a pocket canon elph (older), a new Iphone 6 but want a small compact automatic capable real camera for the "big trip". I do not want an camera with changable lenses.

Here is my wish list:

a real optical view finder not just digital

opitical view zoom if possible

less than 14 oz in weight

easy to use in variable light.

fancy fish eye or wide view would be fun but not essential

Less than $500 please.

Can you recomend a camera?

Thanks,

Ilene:confused:

Optical viewfinder on a compact camera less than 14 oz with fixed lens and good in low light under $500...better ask Santa. :(

The closest I can think of for a truly compact camera with great low light capability and a viewfinder (hi-rez digital, not optical) would be the Sony RX-100 Mk III. Sadly, it runs about $800 and due to it's popularity, it is seldom on sale.

It is the third generation of a ground-breaking design and it is pretty easy to justify the price when you look at what you are getting for the money since it doubles as a remarkably capable video camera. It packs near DSLR image quality into a body about the size of your old Elph and weighs a little over 10 oz.

Links to a couple of reviews:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx100-iii/sony-rx100-iiiA.HTM

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-m3

Dave

Although I love cameras with optical viewfinders, all of them that I have checked do have a common problem. That is that the viewfinder will always show less than you will actually get in the picture. This means that you can not use what you see in the viewfinder to frame your picture exactly. You will get more than what you see which will require you to crop the picture in post processing. Also, looking through any of the current optical viewfinders is like looking through a tunnel.

Have you looked at any of the newer cameras with electronic viewfinders. They are getting pretty good. I always said that I would never buy a camera w/o an optical viewfinder and I have several of the Canon G series cameras to prove it. That said, my latest acquisition is a Sony A6000 with an ELV. Is it as good as looking through an OVF - no. Can I frame pictures exactly with it - no.

Last I saw, they were on sale for about $600.

Think about it.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Although I love cameras with optical viewfinders, all of them that I have checked do have a common problem. That is that the viewfinder will always show less than you will actually get in the picture. This means that you can not use what you see in the viewfinder to frame your picture exactly. You will get more than what you see which will require you to crop the picture in post processing. Also, looking through any of the current optical viewfinders is like looking through a tunnel.

Have you looked at any of the newer cameras with electronic viewfinders. They are getting pretty good. I always said that I would never buy a camera w/o an optical viewfinder and I have several of the Canon G series cameras to prove it. That said, my latest acquisition is a Sony A6000 with an ELV. Is it as good as looking through an OVF - no. Can I frame pictures exactly with it - no. Meant to say "yes". Bad proofreading.

Last I saw, they were on sale for about $600.

Think about it.

DON

See correction above.

This might be a few dollars out of the range. Olympus Sylus 1 http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/compacts/oly_stylus1

To its advantage it has a massive optical zoom it has a EVF and a screen. It's as close to interchangeable lens camera one can get as a compact non-interchangeable lens can get.

Other than that some of the higher end songs are nice around the same $$ and Panasonic LUMIX models are also great.