Civitavecchia Aug 15th (Holiday)

irenez

We are docking during a religious holiday. We are a family of 5 and DIY most ports. I have not been able to find any car rentals that come up available. We are not planning to go to Rome but I was hopping to visit Orvietton and Civita Bagnoregio. I am a bit stuck now because I am not sure if I can get a car rental. What to do?

Thank you so much! Irene

While it is also a religious holiday, Ferragosto is a huge secular day as well. I'm afraid you are unlikely to find any rental office open other than one at an airport.

You might have to look into a car service.

Be prepared to find many businesses in Orvieto closed on that day as well.

Edited by euro cruiser

We were overnight at a Civitavecchia hotel on Aug 15, sailing the next day. Restaurants were open, sorry - I don't recall what else. Outdoor music concerts, great atmosphere. We saw the MOST wonderful fireworks on the waterfront that night. The best we've even seen! People had driven in from the surrounding area and we were glad not to be driving anywhere.

I don't know how long you'll be in port and what we did may not suit your family of five. Have you looked into taking the train to Tarquinia where there are some ruins?

If you walk along the waterfront past the fort, there's a pebbly beach and some people swim.

We had been to Rome before and were staying in Civitavecchia for two nights pre-cruise. We did a day trip to Rome to revisit the Trevi Fountain (in daylight) and the Colosseum. We figured that we hadn't thrown those coins into the Trevi Fountain for nothing! :) Aug 15 we bought a RT train ticket and got off at the main terminal. (People also got off at the Vatican stop, even though I don't think they could go inside that day.) Being a holiday, we had most of the streets to ourselves! We walked from the station to the Trevi Fountain, then walked to the Colosseum. The streets leading up to it were cordoned off as pedestrian. We bought a sandwich from a truck before going in. We had bought "Colosseum Underground and Top Tier Tour" tickets online. There were long lines, but not for our ticket!;) Random people tried to join our group and our guide kept saying, "No, no, this tour is only for our Special guests!" After the tour, we went to a cafe, across from the Colosseum and beside the Metro stop, had a cold drink, took the train back to the port from there and got back around 5:30pm (I think).

Hope you find something fun to do!