Getting to Civitavecchia from the FCO Airport

PumpkinPatches

DH and I will be flying into FCO (Rome) 1 day pre-cruise next year. I am just hoping someone on here will have recommendations for us on getting from the airport to Civitavecchia. I have thought about the trains, but we will have all our luggage with us so that might not be our best option. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by PumpkinPatches

There really are very few choices. It's pretty much down to a taxi (fixed fare of €120), a car service, renting a car and driving yourself, or the train. The train is easy if you don't have luggage but it can be difficult when you do, as there is a strong likelihood that you'll have to go down a full flight of stairs and back up the other side in Civitavecchia, and then get to your hotel somehow.

One option is to join your roll call and see if there are any sharing opportunities with fellow pax arriving about the same time you do.

I am as DIY as there is but even I wouldn't do that route on the train. Are you planning to spend that first night in Rome and head to the port in the morning? Even more sharing opportunities!

In 2011 we did a TA departing from Civitavecchia. After spending 6 days exploring Rome, we took the train down to the port with our luggage. As long as you can haul your own luggage, it's very doable. We were in our late 50 at the time. We each had 1 wheeled 20" bag, 1 duffel strapped to the wheelie and a shoulder bag. Try this link.

http://www.thetrainline-europe.com/train/civitavecchia-to-rome-fiumicino-airport-fco~8300249~8301512

I've booked a room at the Hotel Traghetto the night before my cruise. They said they can book a private car for us for 110 euros. Is that a decent price or should I keep shopping around?

I've looked at a few websites and they are charging 150 euros for a private car, and about 70-80 euros for a shuttle.

Try citavecchiashuttleexpress.com

I am using them for a trip FROM citavecchhia to the airport and it is reasonable. The 110 euros is normal unless they offer you a shared transport then it could be less, but at a set time