What happens when you arrive in a port?

44minimum

I'll be going to roatan, cozumel and Belize next spring and I'm in a wheelchair. When the ship docks, how long does it take every one to get off? And then back on when it's time to leave? Do they let the disabled people off first or watt? I will be on a royal Caribbean ship and this is my first cruise. What should I expect?

I'll be going to roatan, cozumel and Belize next spring and I'm in a wheelchair. When the ship docks, how long does it take every one to get off? And then back on when it's time to leave? Do they let the disabled people off first or watt? I will be on a royal Caribbean ship and this is my first cruise. What should I expect?

First thing is no one gets off. Customs must "clear" the boat before any passengers get off. Passengers in $$$ suites get off first. Then passengers with early RC purchased tours are next. Then everyone else. your wheelchair will not change this. You may be told, at the ramp, to wait for assistance. If this does happen, please wait. We had one passenger who did not wait and ended up in the hospital and we sailed away without him. If you are on a tour you will be given a time and place to meet a guide, this may be on the ship or on the dock.

I must respectfully disagree with Jack. There has never been any such thing as suites or those with tours leaving the ship first at a docked port. It's basically a free-for-all, with those having tours meeting in a place on the ship and departing all at once, at their designated time. The only time that leaving the ship in a specific order comes into being is at a tendered port. For that, those with ship tours get the first tenders, those who have the big suites or those who are part of their most frequent cruiser programs go next. Finally, it's everyone else, via a numbered ticket.

For my RCI cruises, I usually wait until most of the rush is over and then head down to the deck where the gangway is located. There is no provision for those with wheelchairs or scooters to leave the ship first. If they start allowing passengers to leave a docked port at 8am, I'm usually able to get off the ship by 9 or earlier.

As for returning to the ship, you can just board whenever you desire, as long as you're back on board no less than 30 to 45 minutes before the ship is supposed to depart.

If you are in a wheelchair, or scooter, you may not be able to leave the ship at tendered ports. [And Belize used to be a tendered port - don't know if it still is.]

Sometimes you cannot get onto the tenders unless you get down the steps. And might not be able to if weather is bad.

At docked ports, you just leave when they open the door, and you're ready...it's not a big deal...

Tendered ports are a different thing altogether. Some ships won't allowed non-walkers off at all....some have ways to get you off the ship. Do your "due diligence" with your cruiseline and itinerary!

If you are in a wheelchair, or scooter, you may not be able to leave the ship at tendered ports. [And Belize used to be a tendered port - don't know if it still is.]

Sometimes you cannot get onto the tenders unless you get down the steps. And might not be able to if weather is bad.

Disembarking wheelchair passengers at ports where the ship tenders is at the discretion of the captain. The cruise line is concerned about our safety if the sea is rough or there is a risk. I always arrive at the tender gate, with the expectation that I will be allowed off of the ship and have never been disappointed. Crew members will do everything possible to accommodate all passengers.

Belize is a tender port and you usually need to be able to walk on and off the tender to be allowed to tender. Totally up to the staff. Sometimes the weather in Belize is too rough and dangerous to allowed disabled. It can get very rough. Sometimes that tender is like a cork bobbing around in the water.

Archived