Did Fares Just Double?

212cruiser

I've been checking r/t fares to Istantbul since November and now, suddenly, they jumped approximately 60% in one week. Why? And will they double by next month?

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena?

Just speculation since I can't tell EXACTLY what you are looking at: Most airlines sell the cheapest tickets for summer travel BEFORE mid April. Then the fares jump upwards a lot. What has probably happened is the cheapest fares are GONE and what you are seeing is the "normal" summer fares after May 1. If you are traveling after mid September, the fares will usually go down again in July.

Travel is for mid June. Any insights?

Thanks

The cheap seats are gone. You really waited too long to book.

All airlines raise the fares for travel after mid April until mid September. Busiest time of the year for travel to Europe from the US. Families and especially college kids going to Europe snap up the cheap seats in December/January.

You may be stuck paying a much higher price. I would start looking at multiple tickets on multiple airlines or consolidator fares if you want to get a better price. But don't hold your breath-the cheapest seats have already been booked. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Post your exact dates and origination for further help.

Best I can see is an Iberia/Turkish air combination for $864.00pp taxes and fees included. Maybe not the best airline, but if you are searching for price, this is the best I can find. I picked Monday, June 11 for the outbound and June 25 inbound. Works for most dates the first two weeks of June.

That fare is only bookable on Orbitz (they have consolidator tickets for the return from BCN/NYC). Iberia has NO tickets available EXCEPT business class for June 24-July 2. The planes are full-I looked in my office database which shows me how much freight weight I could put on a plane at any given time. Iberia is restricting me to 200 pounds, which means the plane is FULL.

Even 1800flyEurope.com is pricing the fare at over $1000.00.

I have no better options-sorry. If price is a consideration, I would book the Orbitz fare TODAY.

I often check these kind of fares on Expedia, since they seem to be able to better price multiple stops with big gaps. (Open Jaws is the proper term).

I found a Tuesday departure on Iberia via Madrid to Instanbul and a return via Madrid for $906.60. I used the 12th to the 23rd of June.

The other two sites that are good for this are Orbitz, 1Travel and Kayak. But I only found more expensive fares (this time) for those particular dates.

Forgot to mention... the weekend is a bad time to check these. Mornings are great during the week, more seats are available in the mornings.

American Airlines ticket prices are "sky high" for next winter holiday season. I'm sure they will come down a bit, as other airlines come in 30%--40% less expensive.

I've always booked when the fares first come out, but I'm going to hold off until these fares come down to market prices. AA is my airline of choice, but Southwest is always an option with me. United has great fares right now, but I don't want to travel through Denver during the winter months.

Enjoy!

Kel

Archived