Chef's Table on Epic - West Mediterranean. Any experiences?

Meanee

Me and my better half (I refuse to use whole "D-AtoZ" slang) are sailing on Epic's July 6th sailing out of Barcelona. We tried Chef's Table on Carnival, and as much as we did not like the ship/cruiseline, we loved Chef's Table.

I wanted to see if anyone had any recent experience with Chef's Table on Epic on West Mediterranean itinerary. Any feedback? Pictures? Menu? Was it worth it?

This isn't exactly what you asked for, but maybe it will be helpful.

I've eaten the Chef's Table menu on NCL twice. Once on the Epic, last year, and most recently on the Dawn, in May of this year. The menu is exactly the same fleet wide, and they have not changed it.

It's outstanding.

On the Epic, the dinner is held in the Haven restaurant, in its own section. The meal is quite long, so don't plan on doing anything afterward at a specific time. We're talking 3+ hours. It's worth every penny and every minute, though.

My husband has some food allergies and the chef accommodated him without batting an eye, and his meal was just as delicious as everyone else's.

I'm interested in any information would love to do if we can get a reservation

I would recommend if you decide to do it to not wait to get your reservation. Go immediately to the restaurant reservations desk when you board.

We had a part of 4 (2 parties of 2, really, but they were traveling together) that had two more couples traveling with them but couldn't participate because there were no more spaces available.

We boarded in Group 1 and were not even the first to have signed up, and they only take 12. I do know on our particular sailing on the Epic last year they ended up adding a 2nd night due to popularity, but they didn't do that on the Dawn, so I don't know how common it is.

It's something we try to do on every cruise. It is the same menu fleet wide and year to year. Limited to twelve and sells out within hours. If they start a wait list and it reaches about 9 or 10 the might do a second one.

We've only noticed that once. Unlimited wine and the food is excellent. About 3 hours and hard to walk after!! Also a photo of each attendee with the Executive Chef and a guided galley tour hosted by the Executive Chef usually the next day.

This does echo our experience on Carnival Dream.

On Dream, food was top-notch. We reserved 2 hours after boarding the ship and got last spot on first Chef's Table. We were not so lucky on Princess, unfortunately.

Wish me luck on Epic.

Good luck!

Just wanted to add that while many here report that there is a guided galley tour, that has not been offered either time we've participated in the Chef's Table, so don't be surprised if it isn't. It's not publicized, so it isn't technically something that people should be expecting (although again, it does seem to happen quite a bit).

Not to throw cold water on things, but I'd like to offer a slightly different perspective. We've been on the Epic three times now (GA next February) and always travel Haven-class. On our last Epic cruise, the Chef's dinner was hosted (as has been mentioned earlier) in the Haven restaurant. Those of us who were trying to enjoy a quiet, relaxing dinner in that wonderful surrounding expressed concern as it got quite loud at the Chef's dinner table.

Unless they've found a way to keep the raucousness under control, I'd suggest that the dinner can get noisy, and diners at nearby tables will not be grateful.

I don't have a problem hosting the dinner in the Haven - indeed it might even serve to get a few travellers upgrading on their next cruise. It just needs to be managed well, to ensure that things don't get out of control.

Good luck!

Just wanted to add that while many here report that there is a guided galley tour, that has not been offered either time we've participated in the Chef's Table, so don't be surprised if it isn't. It's not publicized, so it isn't technically something that people should be expecting (although again, it does seem to happen quite a bit).

NCL specifically lists it as part of the package, if it is not offered I would ask why and what can be done. We've had it on every cruise. Here is NCL's post:

Norwegian Cruise Line has unveiled an intimate, once-in-a-lifetime gourmet dining experience by introducing the Chef's Table fleet-wide. Guests who attend the Chef's Table dining experience will marvel in an incredible culinary adventure as they feast on a nine-course, upscale menu consisting of unique and contemporary creations using the highest quality ingredients, sophisticated cooking techniques, flavor compositions and captivating presentations. All courses are accompanied by wines that are specially paired by a Master Sommelier.

The two-and-a-half hour Chef's Table dining experience begins with an intimate reception where guests enjoy a glass of champagne as they mingle with the ship's Executive Chef, Food and Beverage Director, Restaurant Manager, Assistant Maître d' and Head Wine Steward. Following the reception, guests are invited to take a group photo before sitting down to begin their gourmet culinary experience in a luxurious and intimate restaurant setting that provides privacy and exclusivity. The Executive Chef welcomes the group and then goes on to describe the first two courses: an Amuse Bouche ?Molecular Gastronome' consisting of Spherical Mango, Vodka & Jalapeno Ravioli and an Orange-Wasabi Glazed Ahi Tuna Tartar with freshly-baked Sesame Crisp.

Courses one and two are accompanied by the Master Sommelier's expertly-paired wine selection. Asparagus Cream is served for course three, followed by the fourth course, a Short Crust Tartlet and a delightful Grapefruit and Moscato Granite is served as course number five. As the Executive Chef describes the ingredients and technique used to create courses three through five, the second wine selection is served and the Chef invites questions about the dishes. Course six consists of a Plantain- Crusted, Pan Seared Sea Bass accompanied by Mango, Papaya & Avocado Salsa and Lobster Veloute and a Milk-Fed Veal Chop with Anna Potatoes, Sautéed Spinach and Truffle Veal Jus rounds out course number seven. A specially-selected cheese platter that boasts an assortment of gourmet cheeses is served as course eight and the grand finale, course nine, is dessert, which consists of either a Yogurt-Mousse Dome with Lychee Raspberry Crème, Hazel Sablee and Lime Vanilla Reduction; or a Chocolate Log with 'Spiced' Dark Rum, Infused Banana and Cocoa Mousse.

This exclusive dining experience is offered for a cover charge of $75 per person, including gratuities, a behind-the-scenes galley tour, one group photo and an individual photo with the Executive Chef. The Chef's Table is limited to 12 guests per exclusive dining experience and is offered once per cruise on board Norwegian ships fleet-wide

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone know if you can book in advance of the sailing? We've done CT on a few Carnival cruises and have always been able to book it ahead of time.

???

You cannot. If you really want it, go immediately to the restaurant reservations desk when you board. If you're in a suite, tell the pre concierge before your cruise and remind the concierge while your waiting to board the ship. On some cruises it sells out within hours, on others you might get it late in the first day. Very popular!

Anyone know if you can book in advance of the sailing? We've done CT on a few Carnival cruises and have always been able to book it ahead of time.

???

I do not recall being able to book it on Carnival ahead of time.

I also found the wine thing to be funny on Epic. They brought out sommelier, who showed us "carefully selected wine for our meal" only to see same wine listed in Taste dining room next 2 days.

I do not recall being able to book it on Carnival ahead of time.

Meanee...RE booking in advance on Carnival - it's not published for pubic knowledge and not on their website. They claim that if you email John Heald (was that his name??) that'll do the trick but I never got a response that way.

You have to email the maître de at the ship's steakhouse - they also handle the reservations for CT. I've booked CT in advance multiple times on Carnival this way in addition to making a reservation for our 17 person wedding party at the steakhouse a few years back. Very efficient :D

Would be great if NCL did the same.

Meanee...RE booking in advance on Carnival - it's not published for pubic knowledge and not on their website. They claim that if you email John Heald (was that his name??) that'll do the trick but I never got a response that way.

You have to email the maître de at the ship's steakhouse - they also handle the reservations for CT. I've booked CT in advance multiple times on Carnival this way in addition to making a reservation for our 17 person wedding party at the steakhouse a few years back. Very efficient :D

Would be great if NCL did the same.

Irrelevant information for me, since there's no way on God's green earth I will step on a Carnival boat again, but I am glad this is an option. And I am glad this is not a public knowledge. Gives more people a chance to experience CT.

As much as I disliked my only cruise on Carnival, I loved their Chef's Table. I found that menu, pantry tour, more informative chef, and entertainment (card magician) made the experience much better than NCL did.

Wow...pretty strong opinion there, sorry you seem to have had a very bad experience. :eek: Was just giving some insight on what I know.

We have had some wonderful times on Carnival - even planned our wedding around a Carnival cruise and have no bad experience or horror stories to share.