Beach dive near port in Grand Caymen

BillOh

I'm getting ready to head to the Caribbean and will probably be under doctor's orders, no diving! But I'll be back in 2015 and heard there is a pretty good beach dive very close to where the tenders come in at this port. Anyone done it?

I'm getting ready to head to the Caribbean and will probably be under doctor's orders, no diving! But I'll be back in 2015 and heard there is a pretty good beach dive very close to where the tenders come in at this port. Anyone done it?

That sounds like the wreck of the Cali. I've snorkeled there from shore with my wife.

The wreck is about 10 to 30 feet deep. It's about 50 yards offshore. (It's about an equal distance from the tender docks.) It was blown up (because it was a navigation hazard), so you can see large sections of the ship's ribs laying on the bottom.

There's also significant coral reef there, so there's a wide variety of fish living around the shipwreck and/or reef. We rented a good-sized locker for $5 or $10. We have our own snorkeling gear, but they also rent gear at the restaurant/bar.

The water was clear and calm when we were there. I got some good photos with my underwater camera.

As you exit the tender port, turn left and walk down the street (heading north). It's one of the first bars that advertises the wreck.

We would certainly consider snorkeling there again (though there are no shortage of great spots from shore around Grand Cayman).

The place I am thinking of has a specific dive shop to rent scuba gear. time to google!

Just re-read your message and saw the Eden Rock Dive shop, will go look at that.

Edited by BillOh

Eden Rock or Sunset House . . . both satisfy your requirements.

I've got in the area of 100 dives at Sunset House and a couple of dozen at Eden Rock. I've been doing week long dive trips staying at Sunset House since the mid 80's. It is less that 1 mile from the tender landings. Eden rock is a couple of hundred yards

• 1 month later...
We like to go snorkeling to the right of where the tenders drop you off. There are steps down to the water right next to the Eden Rock dive shop there. It's free, and lots of fish!

Their reviews on Trip Advisor have been good, This is the way I am leaning.

• 3 weeks later...

Eden Rock rents both scuba and snorkel equipment...if you have your own gear they are quite happy to let you use their facilities. I snorkeled there this January, it was a bit of a snarly day and it wasn't that great but I think it related to the weather.

We always take a taxi to Smith Cove, about 1 mile from the pier. The taxi driver will leave you there and return at whatever time you arrange. There is a very nice reef and small sandy beach. Walk out into the water, the fish are right there. You will find a small bathhouse and picnic tables, but no food or drinks are available. If you really want a great snorkeling tour, hire Captain Marvin. He will take you a a great coral reef and Sting Ray City. You can even purchase a DVD of your trip, and you are the star!