Cruising out of Southampton

nissach

We are flying into Gatwick and want to fly in a few days to a week prior to our cruise(Aug 9-19, 2017) to sight see in London,etc.

My first question; what is the easiest way to get from Gatwick to London or do you suggest another area to stay in that we could just take the tube or other transportation to sight see?

Second question; What is the best way to get from Gatwick or London area to Southampton for the cruise? I have read it is about 75-80 miles.

Third question; Best way to get back to Gatwick after the cruise to fly home? Likely same as above?? We plan on flying home the next day so we won't be rushed but want to stay near Gatwick for convenience.

We would like to see in London but realize that may be quite expensive so we are willing to stay outside of London and take transporation to and from. I have been advised in other posts that staying in Waterloo or Victoria might be wise. We would prefer B & B or hotels that offer free breakfast.

Any advice would be most appreciated!!

Easiest transport will be train, on all counts - there's the Gatwick Express to London, but also plenty of local train options.

In terms of less-expensive areas, you need to always balance price with convenience and time. For instance, the last couple of times we've travelled to London, we've stayed in the southern suburbs (Colliers Wood and Wandsworth, to be precise), and while we've very much enjoyed our stays there, you do have to consider that it will take you much longer to travel into Central London. That said, I would not hesitate to recommend either area - we stayed at a perfectly acceptable Holiday Inn Express opposite Colliers Wood underground station (got it free on points), and I also saw I believe a Premier Inn in Wandsworth that was an easy bus ride to Clapham Junction, from where you can get a train to Gatwick.

One thing you may want to consider if you plan to be there a week is renting an apartment - this will help you keep your food costs down. We found our flat on AirBnB, but lots of other sites to search as well (look for 'self-catering' accommodation).

Easiest transport will be train, on all counts - there's the Gatwick Express to London, but also plenty of local train options.

In terms of less-expensive areas, you need to always balance price with convenience and time. For instance, the last couple of times we've travelled to London, we've stayed in the southern suburbs (Colliers Wood and Wandsworth, to be precise), and while we've very much enjoyed our stays there, you do have to consider that it will take you much longer to travel into Central London. That said, I would not hesitate to recommend either area - we stayed at a perfectly acceptable Holiday Inn Express opposite Colliers Wood underground station (got it free on points), and I also saw I believe a Premier Inn in Wandsworth that was an easy bus ride to Clapham Junction, from where you can get a train to Gatwick.

One thing you may want to consider if you plan to be there a week is renting an apartment - this will help you keep your food costs down. We found our flat on AirBnB, but lots of other sites to search as well (look for 'self-catering' accommodation).

Thank you for the great tips. We are hoping to book a condo through our time share, but I will also be checking out renting through AirBnB too. Self catering...is that a UK term?? Meaning an accommodation with a kitchen??

When looking for hotels in London, I found a number of less expensive hotels near Paddington Station. (Which is convenient, since we're landing at Heathrow. (for Dec. 2016)

I ended up booking a 2-star hotel half a block from the station for $75/night. Nothing fancy, but it has private baths, heat and it's next to the Underground.

Aloha,

John

Between Gatwick & Southampton, simplest is the hourly direct train.

Except on sundays, when there's no direct service & the journey is a bit convoluted , involving one or two train changes. So on sundays the National Express bus is simpler.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

If those timetables don't go out as far as your date, for research enter any closer date as long as it's the same day-of-the-week, and double-check closer to your date. Monday 25th Aug is a national holiday, reduced transport timetables that day but it sounds like you'll be in the middle of your cruise then.

Between Gatwick & central London, the train is best.

Either the Gatwick Express direct to Victoria, or a local train direct to Victoria or London Bridge or St Pancras/King's Cross. Also Clapham Junction, though it's a bit far out of central London

Nat Express bus to Victoria may be marginally cheaper, but it's a slow & tedious journey by road.

Central London to Southampton

- direct by Nat Express bus from Victoria (£5, booking advised)

- direct by frequent train from Waterloo (about £40)

- or direct by a very limited choice of those trains from just £5 on the respected bucket-ticket website https://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx (must be pre-booked, non-amendable)

Those logistics are doubtless why Victoria & waterloo have been suggested, though there won't be many b&b's in Waterloo and other than for transport links there are other areas worth considering.

Yes, self-catering is the phrase used in the UK.

And apartment or flat, but condo is very USA.

Don't worry too much about free breakfast. Usually good in b&b's, quite variable in hotels (though nowhere near as dire as on your side of the Pond :p), but there'll be a local workmen's cafe nearby that'll do a good fry-up for a lot less money than the average hotel.

There's several very recent threads worth checking out on this forum.

And my missive on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2426793 (though most of the thread is about the Fjords)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Between Gatwick & Southampton, simplest is the hourly direct train.

Except on sundays, when there's no direct service & the journey is a bit convoluted , involving one or two train changes. So on sundays the National Express bus is simpler.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

If those timetables don't go out as far as your date, for research enter any closer date as long as it's the same day-of-the-week, and double-check closer to your date. Monday 25th Aug is a national holiday, reduced transport timetables that day but it sounds like you'll be in the middle of your cruise then.

Between Gatwick & central London, the train is best.

Either the Gatwick Express direct to Victoria, or a local train direct to Victoria or London Bridge or St Pancras/King's Cross. Also Clapham Junction, though it's a bit far out of central London

Nat Express bus to Victoria may be marginally cheaper, but it's a slow & tedious journey by road.

Central London to Southampton

- direct by Nat Express bus from Victoria (£5, booking advised)

- direct by frequent train from Waterloo (about £40)

- or direct by a very limited choice of those trains from just £5 on the respected bucket-ticket website https://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx (must be pre-booked, non-amendable)

Those logistics are doubtless why Victoria & waterloo have been suggested, though there won't be many b&b's in Waterloo and other than for transport links there are other areas worth considering.

Yes, self-catering is the phrase used in the UK.

And apartment or flat, but condo is very USA.

Don't worry too much about free breakfast. Usually good in b&b's, quite variable in hotels (though nowhere near as dire as on your side of the Pond :p), but there'll be a local workmen's cafe nearby that'll do a good fry-up for a lot less money than the average hotel.

There's several very recent threads worth checking out on this forum.

And my missive on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2426793 (though most of the thread is about the Fjords)

Thanks JB, you are wealth of information, much appreciated.

So are you saying that Waterloo and Victoria are not the best areas to stay? What areas would you suggest to stay with easy transport to central London(for sightseeing) and then to Southampton for the cruise?

Thanks JB, you are wealth of information, much appreciated.

So are you saying that Waterloo and Victoria are not the best areas to stay? What areas would you suggest to stay with easy transport to central London(for sightseeing) and then to Southampton for the cruise?

No, not a bit of it - both are ideal. :)

It's just that other areas might be considered just as good, but not as convenient for travel to/from Gatwick & Southampton.

Waterloo for trains......... from Gatwick a train every 15 to 20 minutes, with one change at Clapham Junction. Total journey time about 45 mins, fare about £15. .............. and to Southampton, a direct train every 20 to 30 minutes, journey time about 90 minutes, walk-up fare £40. But by pre-booking on that megatrain site (not available for sundays) a choice of two or three of those trains that will suit a Southampton sailing for as low as £1 or more often £5 to £10.

Victoria for Southampton by National Express bus, pre-book, £5. Or by train, but either a slow & convoluted route through Gatwick (Southern Trains, about £20) or change at Clapham Junction & no megatrain cheap deals.

From Gatwick by direct Nat Express bus to Victoria coach station, or by direct train to Victoria rail station.

I'd rate Waterloo as more convenient for sights, many of them are walkable - see those other threads. But expect generally higher hotel rates.

Around Victoria, Paddington & Kings Cross will mainly be cheaper, marginally less convenient for the sights. NB Waterloo & Victoria are on the main ho-ho sight-seeing routes, but Paddington and King's X are on ho-ho secondary routes, they're not on the main sight-seeing route so you'd have to switch.

Around Tower Bridge can be excellent value at weekends (used by business visitors during the week), but it's at the eastern end of "tourist London" in the same way that Victoria / Kensington is at the western end.

Other folk may mention places like Hammersmith or bohemian Camden Town or modern Canary Wharf or even leafy Greenwich. These are further out, so you'd need transport into central London but as long as there's a handy tube station that's no big deal.

Other than along the south bank of the Thames, such as Waterloo or Lambeth or mebbe bits of Southwark, south of the river has little to offer.

There are a few less-savoury districts, same as in any city. If you're considering an area not mentioned, get back here & ask before you commit.

Edited to add. Useful website for info on hotels, transport, sights, etc

https://www.londontoolkit.com/

Edited by John Bull

No, not a bit of it - both are ideal. :)

It's just that other areas might be considered just as good, but not as convenient for travel to/from Gatwick & Southampton.

Waterloo for trains......... from Gatwick a train every 15 to 20 minutes, with one change at Clapham Junction. Total journey time about 45 mins, fare about £15. .............. and to Southampton, a direct train every 20 to 30 minutes, journey time about 90 minutes, walk-up fare £40. But by pre-booking on that megatrain site (not available for sundays) a choice of two or three of those trains that will suit a Southampton sailing for as low as £1 or more often £5 to £10.

Victoria for Southampton by National Express bus, pre-book, £5. Or by train, but either a slow & convoluted route through Gatwick (Southern Trains, about £20) or change at Clapham Junction & no megatrain cheap deals.

From Gatwick by direct Nat Express bus to Victoria coach station, or by direct train to Victoria rail station.

I'd rate Waterloo as more convenient for sights, many of them are walkable - see those other threads. But expect generally higher hotel rates.

Around Victoria, Paddington & Kings Cross will mainly be cheaper, marginally less convenient for the sights. NB Waterloo & Victoria are on the main ho-ho sight-seeing routes, but Paddington and King's X are on ho-ho secondary routes, they're not on the main sight-seeing route so you'd have to switch.

Around Tower Bridge can be excellent value at weekends (used by business visitors during the week), but it's at the eastern end of "tourist London" in the same way that Victoria / Kensington is at the western end.

Other folk may mention places like Hammersmith or bohemian Camden Town or modern Canary Wharf or even leafy Greenwich. These are further out, so you'd need transport into central London but as long as there's a handy tube station that's no big deal.

Other than along the south bank of the Thames, such as Waterloo or Lambeth or mebbe bits of Southwark, south of the river has little to offer.

There are a few less-savoury districts, same as in any city. If you're considering an area not mentioned, get back here & ask before you commit.

Edited to add. Useful website for info on hotels, transport, sights, etc

https://www.londontoolkit.com/

Again thank you so much!! I will have to print of a map of London and get my bearings straight as to what is where. Also, that website is excellent, great info for a first timer to London. I think we will seriously consider booking a tour or two!!

We could just as easlily do just the cruise, but we figure if we are spending the money on flights, we might as well spend some extra time tourng London too.

Another question, would you say it would be worth it to take the Eurostar for a day trip(or overnight) to Paris? Or is that a crazy thought/idea?? Seeing the Eiffel Tower is just another thing I can check off my bucket list!

Edited by nissach

Another question, would you say it would be worth it to take the Eurostar for a day trip(or overnight) to Paris? Or is that a crazy thought/idea?? Seeing the Eiffel Tower is just another thing I can check off my bucket list!

As if there isn't enough to see in London...:) But yes - a day trip on Eurostar to Paris will be memorable and is eminently do-able. Check out the Eurostar site nearer the date for bargains but be sure to book in advance in any case.

http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en

Again thank you so much!! I will have to print of a map of London and get my bearings straight as to what is where. Also, that website is excellent, great info for a first timer to London. I think we will seriously consider booking a tour or two!!

We could just as easlily do just the cruise, but we figure if we are spending the money on flights, we might as well spend some extra time tourng London too.

Yes, it's a crazy idea. :p

And yes, people do it. :)

Makes for a very long day, but can be done.

As Bob's advice, book early for best price.

And be aware that there might not be buses or tube trains from your hotel to St Pancras station at daft o'clock in the morning.

If the Eurostar journey times confuse you, that'll be because France is an hour ahead of the UK.

If it's your only chance to visit Paris, go for it.

If not, put Paris on the back-burner & do it justice on some future trip.

I don't doubt that there is more than enough to see in London...just thought we are so close to Paris it might be fun, a long day, but fun.

It likely will be the only chance to visit Paris as if we do return to Europe, which we hope to do, it likely won't be France. I don't have a huge desire to see France, but saying I was in Paris would be cool.

Once we have flights booked I will look at the Eurostar website to book ahead of time to make sure we get tickets.

Thanks for tip on time zones and France being an hour ahead!

Edited by nissach

• 3 weeks later...
Although it would make for a long day, could we go directly to Southampton from the airport and spend the night? Are there hotels close to the port?

Yes, and that's probably the most sensible option for those who don't want a whistle-stop visit to central London.

All the hotels on the link below range from basic but perfectly acceptable (eg Ibis Budget) to good. Most popular with cruisers are the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Ave (but not the Hol Inn Express's which aren't convenient) and Premier Inn West Quay. The city doesn't have any five-star hotels, they're all located in the surrounding countryside - most up-market in the city are Grand Harbour or a couple of boutiques.

Check the locations on the thumbnail sketch at the bottom of the page at https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

It also gives a précis of the city centre hotels, and on other Southampton pages (green panel right-hand side of the page), details of the cruise terminals etc.

If you quote your UK airport and ship we can narrow it down a little. But all the city centre hotels are within a £10 taxi ride from rail or coach stations or any cruise terminal, some hotels are walkable from rail & coach stations and a couple of the four cruise terminals, and all are tolerably walkable to city centre pubs, restaurants, shops & malls.

If you're not as bushed as you think you might be, Southampton has enough sights of interest to keep you occupied for a day, mainly in old town.

Although it would make for a long day, could we go directly to Southampton from the airport and spend the night? Are there hotels close to the port?

Going direct to Southampton is a perfectly sensible alternative to staying at a Heathrow hotel and travelling down the next day. You can catch a National Express coach from the airport direct to Southampton, and then a short taxi ride to whichever hotel you choose.

In the morning you would have some time for some exploring and maybe some shopping and a nice lunch before boarding in the afternoon.