Silver Discoverer Charter

Stumblefoot

Noticed today that Zegrahm Expeditions has chartered the Silver Discoverer from Oct. 23 - Nov. 11, 2018 for a Seychelles (with Aldabra Atoll) to Madagascar to Mauritius voyage.

Has anyone here ever used Zegrahm?

Mike Moore (not to be confused with Michael Moore) is the scheduled Expedition Leader.

Many years ago we took an almost identical trip with Zegrahm, using Ponant. Loved the trip, disliked the ship. At that time the company was owned by the founders, of whom Mike Moore is the "m" in Zegrahm. The company has been sold, to whom, I have forgotten.

Their trips are quite active. They have fabulous speakers, land programs and excursions. Their trips are quite expensive and have increased quite a bit from when we went, even figuring in inflation. I am not sure I think they are currently value for money. The main reason I would not go on a Zegrahm trip now is that they are quite active and I doubt I could snorkel Aldabra any more, although it was quite an experience.

During our trip some luggage was stolen, in route from hotel to ship. One of our bags was in that group. I give them great credit for replacing what they could given the isolated area we were in. What they were unable to replace they paid us for.

Dress code was casual at all times. I believe drinks were only included at lunch and dinner, but that may have changed.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

I cruise with Zegrahm quite often. November I was on their New Guinea trip. My second trip to that area - the snorkeling in Raja Ampat is the best in the world (my opinion). There are some who have done 50 trips with them - I have probably done 15. I can absolutely say nothing bad about my experiences around the world with them.

It is very expensive for sure but everything is included and I love never having to open my wallet even for tipping. Well, except for the bar.

BTW, the "M" in Zegrahm is Mike Messick not Mike Moore. The company was sold a few years ago I believe to an English firm. The operations out of their Seattle office and staff have not changed and what I like about cruising is meeting up with the same staff and quite a few passengers. They lease different ships but they are always first class.

I am sorry if I posted way to much info about another company - it just happened to dawn on me. Another thing is that the ship used to be the Clipper Odyssey and was owned by Z at one time.

I have cruised with Silversea a number of times on their expedition ships and they are a great company also.

in the attribution of the "m" in Zegrahm -- thanks!

Another thing I remembered is that we used zodiacs for all landings. Don't know if that is what is planned on this trip, but might be worth an inquiry. At this point using zodiacs is another item in my past that I can't repeat now.