Cliff Walk in Newport, Rhode Island

Teeara

For those of you who will be spending the day in Newport and are looking for something free and fun to do, you might consider doing the Cliff Walk. My roommate and I did the walk last weekend and it took about 2.5 hours (we stopped for breaks, took lots of pix and did 3 of the 3.5 miles) to complete.

Here's a link to my Shutterfly share site with my pix and explanations of what to expect.

http://cliffwalk6192010.shutterfly.com/

Theresa

How far is the cliff walk from the cruise ship dock? Did you have to take a taxi?

Your pictures are beatuiful!

There is no dock in Newport. You will be tendered to shore. You could catch a taxi if you can find one. Your best bet is to either (1) walk to the Visitor's Center and catch the trolley (buy a day pass for $5 per person and make sure you have exact change), get off at Bellevue and Memorial and walk the 6 blocks or so to the start of the Cliff Walk (it is an uphill walk) or (2) simply walk to the beginning of the Cliff Walk which is a bit further (not entirely certain since I'm not positive where the tender drops off and I don't live in Newport, but the Boston area). If the tenders drop off where the Providence ferry drops off, then you'll only add about 4 blocks to the walk to the start of the Cliff Walk. The Trolley is very nice and fast.

Thanks!

Any idea what it would cost to take a taxi from pier or visitors center to beginning of Cliff Walk. Will they drop you right off to where you can enter.

Some have said you are better off to start at Breakers Mansion. Is that toward the beginning or the end of the walk. If I want to see Breakers and the cliff walk what is the best way to get there. Trolley sounds crowed and slow. Thanks for any info.:)

Any idea what it would cost to take a taxi from pier or visitors center to beginning of Cliff Walk. Will they drop you right off to where you can enter.

Some have said you are better off to start at Breakers Mansion. Is that toward the beginning or the end of the walk. If I want to see Breakers and the cliff walk what is the best way to get there. Trolley sounds crowed and slow. Thanks for any info.:)

Not a clue how much it would cost but it shouldn't be much. I would think less than $5. It's only about a mile (if that) from the visitor's center to the beginning of the Cliff Walk. I'm sure they would be able to drop you off very close to it.

The Breakers are about a half mile into the walk. You could start there, too. The trolley is the best way to get there unless you take a cab. Walking is much slower than the trolley. ;):D Yes, it probably is crowded when the cruise ships are in town.

Theresa

If I want to start the walk from the beginning where should I have a taxi take me to, to be dropped off and while I am on the walk where do i get off the walk to get to Breakers. I have read you have to take a street off the walk and walk around to get to Breakers. If I only do one Mansion is that the one you would recommend? Would like to get peoples opinion on which one they think would be best. Also, do you think it would be a good idea to take taxi company's phone number so we could call them to pick us up after the Cliff Walk or is there transportation there to take you back to the pier for the ride back to the ship. What part of the walk is the most scenic? I know I am full of questions but can't wait.;) Thanks everyone for the info.:)

If I want to start the walk from the beginning where should I have a taxi take me to, to be dropped off and while I am on the walk where do i get off the walk to get to Breakers. I have read you have to take a street off the walk and walk around to get to Breakers.

Beginning of the Cliff Walk on Memorial Boulevard.

Get off the Cliff Walk at Ruggles Avenue. This will be after Salve Regina University and before Angelsea.

See here: http://www.mapcenter.com/index.php?c=web2.79&product=GS+CLIFF+W

If I only do one Mansion is that the one you would recommend?

The Breakers is the largest of all the Mansions. It is a good choice to do if you can only choose one.

Would like to get peoples opinion on which one they think would be best.

Best is a relative term. My three favorites are Marble House, The Elms and Rosecliff. Marble House, because I have a fascination for Alva and Consuelo Vanderbilt, The Elms because of its beautiful conservatory and intimacy and Rosecliff for its beautiful staircase and ballroom (and the fact that they shot the end of True Lies there) ;):D

Also, do you think it would be a good idea to take taxi company's phone number so we could call them to pick us up after the Cliff Walk or is there transportation there to take you back to the pier for the ride back to the ship.

Yes, take the taxi's phone number. The trolley does pick up in front of The Breakers, but it isn't very big and will probably be pretty full.

What part of the walk is the most scenic?

Take a look at my photos and decide for yourself. If you like the beauty of the rocky, rugged coast, then you might find the end of the Cliff Walk the most scenic. If you like nice landscaping, then you might find the beginning the most scenic. Based upon your above questions, my thought would be to do the Cliff Walk from the beginning to Ruggles Ave., walk to The Breakers, do the Breakers and then head back to the wharves for a great lunch before heading back to the ship.

Whatever you choose to do I'm sure you'll have a lovely time. Newport is a spectacular town with lovely shops, great views and plenty to see and do.

Theresa

I should also mention to all of you coming to New England to make sure you pack a travel umbrella. If you're from the West Coast (like I am originally) you'll be a bit surprised to find it raining in July, August or whenever. Last year I think we only had 1 Saturday out of 4 that didn't rain. So be prepared.

Theresa

I agree with the recommendations of touring the Breakers. If you do CW from the start at Memorial Ave, you could walk to the Ruggles Ave exit. Ruggles Ave is the south border of the Breakers estate so when you exit CW you would just walk to Ochre Point Ave which is the front of the Breakers.

Also, when looking for transportation after leaving the Breakers, don't limit yourself by looking for just the tourist trolleys that have limited room, the RIPTA http://www.ripta.com/schedules/view.php route #67 bus stops in front of the Breakers.

At one time, there was a summer bus that served the Newport beaches that went by the start of CW. I did a quick search for it before I posted but came up empty; maybe a phone call or email is in order.

SBtS

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am coming in on Sunday Oct 17 to Newport via a cruise ship. The times posted on the cruise itinerary are 7-4 via a tender boat. I am thinking about catching a ride (taxi or trolley) to the beginning of the Cliff Walk and walking back then attending the Bowen's Wharf Seafood Festival for lunch and then the The Old Colony and Newport Railroad. Does that sound like a plan that is realistic??

Also what what public transportation bus drops of at the beginning of the cliff walk? Also what public transportation nus will get me close to the railroad depot (just in case)?

Thanks,

Meggan

I agree with the recommendations of touring the Breakers. If you do CW from the start at Memorial Ave, you could walk to the Ruggles Ave exit. Ruggles Ave is the south border of the Breakers estate so when you exit CW you would just walk to Ochre Point Ave which is the front of the Breakers.

Also, when looking for transportation after leaving the Breakers, don't limit yourself by looking for just the tourist trolleys that have limited room, the RIPTA http://www.ripta.com/schedules/view.php route #67 bus stops in front of the Breakers.

At one time, there was a summer bus that served the Newport beaches that went by the start of CW. I did a quick search for it before I posted but came up empty; maybe a phone call or email is in order.

SBtS

TTBOMK, the only way to get to the start of Cliff Walk on Memorial Ave would be to go by taxi.

A city bus and trolley will drop you at a stop which you would walk from to CW which you would intercept about .6 miles from the start.

Question: How much of CW do you intend to walk? Your answer would help in determining how realistic your overall plan is,

No matter how far you walk on CW, to get back to the tender dock area, I strongly suggest a city bus or trolley. If you ride the city bus or trolley back to the beginning of the route (Newport Visitors' Center) , you'll be dropped across the street from the rail road boarding area.

To get to Bowen's Wharf from the NVC, walk south on America's Cup Ave, pass the tender dock area, and keep walking. Not too far from the tender dock; may be 5-7 minute walk.

I think your plan it is doable if you can get an early start and you do not plan on visiting any mansions. I would go for the earlier train ride if possible; you could do the later but what if..............:eek:

It would be best to get a taxi/bus/trolley at the NVC which is located one block north from the tender dock. The area around the tender dock is very limited and tends to fill up with tour buses.

SBtS

Thanks for all this great info. If I want to take a taxi to the beginning of

Cliff Walk would I get one at the Visitors Center? We will be in Newport on Carribean Princess on Sept 5th. We are doing a tour at 8:15 to 9:45 which will bring us back I am sure to the area where we first get tendered in. Where at that point should I pick up the taxi? I am taking Taxi Company phone numbers with me. I want to walk the cliff walk from the beginning, get off the side street and go see the Breakers and then get back on the Cliff Walk and continue on as far as I can. At least till I start feeling uncomfortable with the walk. Would be have time to see Marble House too if I just walked on Cliff Walk from the Breaker to Marble House. I want to see the Tea House. WE are 50 and in ok shape. NOt great shape but not terrible either. Does this plan sound doable to see two mansion and walk most of Cliff Walk. We would be picking up taxi around 945 to 10 AM. We are in port 7 - 4 Thanks for the info.:)

smitty3000 asked: …. If I want to take a taxi to the beginning of Cliff Walk would I get one at the Visitors Center?….

Yes

…..Where …. should I pick up the taxi?…..

Walk one block north from the tender dock to the Newport Visitors’ Center and pick it up there.

…… I want to walk the cliff walk from the beginning, get off the side street and go see the Breakers and then get back on the Cliff Walk and continue on…..

Very easy to do. Walk behind the Breakers on CW and take the Ruggles St exit off CW. Ruggles St is the south boundry of the Breakers estate.

…..Would be have time to see Marble House too if I just walked on Cliff Walk from the Breaker to Marble House. I want to see the Tea House….

The Marble House is about .7 mile from the Breakers. To enter the Marble House grounds, you would have to exit CW at the Marine Ave exit and walk west to Bellevue Ave and turn south there. The Tea House is on the MH grounds and I believe that sandwiches and beverages, etc are offered there.

I think it is doable but make sure you have a Plan B. Just remember that if you are on Bellevue Ave, you can get a bus/trolley that can get you back to the NVC.

SBtS

We arrive in Newport on Sunday and planned on walking to St Mary's for mass and then on up Memorial to the cliff walk. My question is if we want to take the trolley back, can we pay at the nearest stop or should we buy passes from the Visitor Center when we arrive.

If you are using the trolley/bus that one time only, then you could pay the exact change fare ($1.75, bill & coin) at boarding. If you'll be using the trolley/bus more than once, then consider purchasing a one day pass ($5.00) good for unlimited rides for 24 hours starting with the first use, available for purchase on the bus only. fare info: http://www.ripta.com/schedules/fares.php

I prefer the pass for the convenience.

SBtS

SB&S,

We are not planning on visiting any mansions. Not really set on a specific point to start the cliff walk, do you recommend a "best" part to see if we are planning on doing some and not all?

Are taxis readily available along the CW for the ride back to NVC?

Thanks,

Meggan

TTBOMK, the only way to get to the start of Cliff Walk on Memorial Ave would be to go by taxi.

A city bus and trolley will drop you at a stop which you would walk from to CW which you would intercept about .6 miles from the start.

Question: How much of CW do you intend to walk? Your answer would help in determining how realistic your overall plan is,

No matter how far you walk on CW, to get back to the tender dock area, I strongly suggest a city bus or trolley. If you ride the city bus or trolley back to the beginning of the route (Newport Visitors' Center) , you'll be dropped across the street from the rail road boarding area.

To get to Bowen's Wharf from the NVC, walk south on America's Cup Ave, pass the tender dock area, and keep walking. Not too far from the tender dock; may be 5-7 minute walk.

I think your plan it is doable if you can get an early start and you do not plan on visiting any mansions. I would go for the earlier train ride if possible; you could do the later but what if..............:eek:

It would be best to get a taxi/bus/trolley at the NVC which is located one block north from the tender dock. The area around the tender dock is very limited and tends to fill up with tour buses.

SBtS

• 3 weeks later...
SB&S,

We are not planning on visiting any mansions. Not really set on a specific point to start the cliff walk, do you recommend a "best" part to see if we are planning on doing some and not all?

Are taxis readily available along the CW for the ride back to NVC?

Thanks,

Meggan

I would say start at the beginning where the CliffWalk sign is and walk to the Breakers. There is lovely scenery along that portion of the walk, you'll experience a few mansions and still be close enough to grab a shuttle back to Newport harbor for lunch and shopping.

Take a look at the map I posted. The Cliff Walk hugs the coast and there are residences behind it. You will be in the middle of residential neighborhoods.

If you want a taxi you should take a taxi from the NVC and get a business card from the driver with the taxi company's phone number so you can call them to come and pick you up when you are finished.

the only way to get to the start of Cliff Walk on Memorial Ave would be to go by taxi; otherwise use the bus/trolley. The city bus/trolley (route #67, outbound & inbound) will drop you at a stop (intersection of Narragansett Ave and Ochre Point Rd) from which you would walk to CW which you would intercept about .6 miles from the start.

I would walk from there to the Marine Ave exit. You would walk west on Marine Ave to Bellevue Ave which is on bus route #67. Catch an inbound bus/trolley to the NVC.

You may luck out and flag a taxi; but as CC member Teeara suggested, calling for one would be better.

The #67 bus runs about every 20 minutes on weekdays; and bus stops are clearly identified on Bellevue Ave.

Check out the maps of CW walk here: http://www.cliffwalk.com/

Most of the side streets that intersect with CW are entries & exits to/from CW.

SBtS

• 5 months later...

Would love to do the Cliff Walk from the beginning (I think Easton's beach off of Memorial) to the end or at least Ledge Road. I'm in port from 7am-2pm. Some posts seem to indicate that taxi's aren't available until 9am, and hard to come by. My concern is getting back in time. Any suggestions...I don't want to be stuck and unable to get back. Thanks!!

I'm not sure where you read that taxis aren't available until 9;00am; do you have a source on that?

As for the scarcity of taxis that could be impacted by the cruise ship visiting. How about calling ahead to reserve one. There should be taxis at the Newport Visitors' Center which is located one block north from the tender dock. You could always take the bus to CW. The bus does not take you to the start of CW; you could always walk back to the start if it is important to you to start there.

In season, the bus route (#67) that serves Bellevue Ave includes stops near Ledge Rd. Even out of season, it would be an easy walk to get to the bus stop from there on the shortened route.

I've done CW twice to Ledge Rd. Once when I was young and stupid and again when I was middle aged but still stupid. I am now older and wiser and I only walk where it is paved and have stairs for climbing. IMO, it is not worth it but if you still want to do it, study the pictures at these 2 links:

http://www.cliffwalk.com/sect6.htm

http://www.cliffwalk.com/sect7.htm

Keep in mind that this part of CW is slow going so allow extra time.

SBtS

SB+S

Hi, thanks so much for your reply! This was the part of the post that discussed taxi availability; in rereading it I think it was just a one time circumstance, and I misunderstood. (unsure which thread I read it from)

" Newport, Rhode Island is a tender port. After tendering ashore, we followed instructions as provided on the Cruise Critic Boards. Unfortunately, those instructions weren’t entirely accurate. I learned on the Boards that there are no taxi stands near the tender dock, but that we would have no difficulty picking up a taxi near the Newport Transportation Center (“NTC”), which is located one block north of the tender dock on America’s Cup Avenue. Wrong! We arrived at the NTC at 8:45 a.m. The NTC doesn’t open until 9:00 a.m. There were no taxis anywhere! Oktoberfest was happening this day (although certainly not at 9:00 a.m!), and perhaps the taxis were either involved with that, or the taxi drivers took the day off, which was a Sunday, to attend the Oktoberfest. All I know is there was not a single taxi to be found"

The links were interesting and I appreciate your sage advise!

That post is correct. The Newport Transportation Center's hours are from 9a to 5p. There are no taxi stands at the tender dock; that is why I suggested walking to the NTC, not thinking of the operating hours :o.

You are on the Maasdam and you'll be visiting Newport on 4/27 which is a Wednesday. So my advice is try to arrange a taxi before leaving on the cruise with a pickup at the NTC.

OR

The weekday bus schedule has the first route #67 leaving at 7:40am and 20 minutes thereafter. It is a 10 minute ride the to the stop closest to CW. The summer schedule bus routes have not started in April so if you did CW to Ledge Rd then you would have to walk about .6 mile to catch an inbound #67 bus near Marble House.

Here's the RIPTA site for fares and schedules: http://www.ripta.com/schedules/fares.php

BTW, the tender ride is about 12 minutes excluding waiting time. The tender dock can handle 4 tenders at a time.

HTH

SBtS

Archived