How far is it to the train station in Dover from the cruise terminal?

browneyes7

No it is not possible to walk, (would take over 20-30 minutes without luggage). Not only is the distant too great but the right of way is very uneven through typical commercial port country.

Your only practical option is a taxi, about 7-8 GBP of which there are plenty.

Two years ago it was 6 GBP for a cab to the station:

2007NCLDreamDoverTaxi-vi.jpg

I would not say that this was a walk through an industrial port:

From left to the right you have to walk:

2007NCLDreamDoverED2-vi.jpg

2007NCLDreamDoverED1-vi.jpg

2007NCLDreamDoverCenter-vi.jpg

There is a bus going to the city center when the cruise ship berths. It's about 1 or 2 GBP to get to downtown. From there you can easily walk to the station.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Walking from the cruise terminal at Dover to the station is really not a good idea, its OK at Southampton but not Dover.

By all means try it, but I think you'll soon be looking to flag a taxi down or heading back to the cruise terminal.

Do take pictures and let us know how you get on - and the best of luck!

We are hoping to board the train around 9:30 a.m.

Its a couple of miles or so walk, most people would take 40-45 minutes or so without luggage. So I guess it will be at least an hour with luggage as you'll have countless kerbs and uneven surfaces to negociate.

You'll have to be prompt off the ship to make the station for 9:30

The worst part is the first mile getting out of the port area, so if you make it to the main coast road, don't give up!

I've visited Dover many times to meet cruises and never seen anyone attempting this. So best of luck and as Dorneyboy says, do report back on your little adventure.

Walking from the cruise terminal at Dover to the station is really not a good idea, its OK at Southampton but not Dover.

By all means try it, but I think you'll soon be looking to flag a taxi down or heading back to the cruise terminal.

Do take pictures and let us know how you get on - and the best of luck!

We have walked into town(same route to the staion except for the last 1/4) on a B2B changeover day and it is not a problem.

The first part is the cruise terminal so mainly carpark with a well marked walkway.

The bit from the port gate to the main road is a bit industrial and part is on a flyover road with path but safe and an easy walk. the rest is regular UK pavement.

I would not do it with luggage too far.

The first part is the cruise terminal so mainly carpark with a well marked walkway.

The bit from the port gate to the main road is a bit industrial and part is on a flyover road with path but safe and an easy walk. the rest is regular UK pavement.

I remember that we had to park at the PINK Parking Lot last cruise from Dover.

There was a complimentary shuttle available.

Pink Parking is already BEHIND port gate (from the view of the cruise terminal).

If you catch the bus - then you are very close to Prince of Wales Roundabout which is the entry to the Western Docks.

So easily you can save 1/4 more of walk...

Regards,

HeinBloed

We have walked into town(same route to the staion except for the last 1/4) on a B2B changeover day and it is not a problem.

I would not do it with luggage too far.

We won't have luggage. This is just a day stop in London. So we will just take the train into London for the day and then back to the ship. Thank you so much for your help!:)

• 2 weeks later...
Its a couple of miles or so walk, most people would take 40-45 minutes or so without luggage. So I guess it will be at least an hour with luggage as you'll have countless kerbs and uneven surfaces to negociate.

You'll have to be prompt off the ship to make the station for 9:30

The worst part is the first mile getting out of the port area, so if you make it to the main coast road, don't give up!

I've visited Dover many times to meet cruises and never seen anyone attempting this. So best of luck and as Dorneyboy says, do report back on your little adventure.

If there is a shuttlebus to town, we'll probably take it and then walk on to the train station from there. "Life is an adventure!!":)

If there is a shuttlebus to town, we'll probably take it and then walk on to the train station from there. "Life is an adventure!!":)

see above:

There is a bus going to the city center when the cruise ship berths. It's about 1 or 2 GBP to get to downtown. From there you can easily walk to the station.

Regards,

HeinBloed

If you are thinking of a dedicated bus that stands outside the cruise terminal, specifically for the purpose of transporting cruise passengers into Dover and its bus and rail stations then the answer is not normally, in fact I've never seen one at Terminal 2 where the main cruises disembark, just taxi's.

At Terminal 1, mostly used by smaller ships I have seen a bus put on for some arrivals on a few occassions.

If you walk out of the docks to the main coast road, you can link up with occassional public buses, but you would have walked half way to the town anyway by then and the hard bit through the docks would be behind you.

If you are thinking of a dedicated bus that stands outside the cruise terminal, specifically for the purpose of transporting cruise passengers into Dover and its bus and rail stations then the answer is not normally, in fact I've never seen one at Terminal 2 where the main cruises disembark, just taxi's.

But that does not mean that they are not existing...

Dover-vi.jpg

From the last year's cruiser's brochure of the Tourist Information and we saw the cream-colored open double-decker buses... in town... and in front of Terminal 2 where the NCL-ships where handled.

Regards,

HeinBloed

But that does not mean that they are not existing...

Dover-vi.jpg

From the last year's cruiser's brochure of the Tourist Information and we saw the cream-colored open double-decker buses... in town... and in front of Terminal 2 where the NCL-ships where handled.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I guess the above explains why I've never seen them.

With a first departure time of 09:15 this is way past disembarkation times of cruises terminating at Dover and for people wanting to get up to London.

No doubt the bus is for cruises that don't start/finish at Dover enabling those cruise passengers to make a shore excursion during the day.

No doubt the bus is for cruises that don't start/finish at Dover enabling those cruise passengers to make a shore excursion during the day.

Both time NCL with debarkation/embarkation in Dover:

both time they operated the bus...

but you are right: mostly we saw the bus when we came for embarkation at noon.

We never saw the bus when we arrived in Dover by cruise ship and left the ship as early as possible...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi Browneyes! We're on the Emerald as well, and thinking of doing the same thing. Not totally committed, but thinking of taking a cab to the train and train to London to see the British War Museum. Where did you get your info about the train from Dover to London? You can email us off-line or on the board. thanx steve and bj <scheherazade@swbell.net>

ADD: We also live in Tx.

The VERY BEST schedule information is provided by:

http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/se/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en&timeOffset=15

as you can get door to door information out of Kent:

Enter

Dover (Kent), Cruise Liner Terminal

Copy and paste the line to the point of origin and you'll get incl. time for walk from the Cruise Terminal.

Regards,

HeinBloed

The VERY BEST schedule information is provided by:

http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/se/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en&timeOffset=15

as you can get door to door information out of Kent:

Enter

Dover (Kent), Cruise Liner Terminal

Copy and paste the line to the point of origin and you'll get incl. time for walk from the Cruise Terminal.

Regards,

HeinBloed

If you add the options (bottom):

least interchange

walk up to 32 minutes

But you must add approx. 10 minutes from Terminal 1 and 15 minutes from Terminal 2 to the walking time.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi Browneyes! We're on the Emerald as well, and thinking of doing the same thing. Not totally committed, but thinking of taking a cab to the train and train to London to see the British War Museum. Where did you get your info about the train from Dover to London? You can email us off-line or on the board. thanx steve and bj <scheherazade@swbell.net>

ADD: We also live in Tx.

Read thread, "Best way to get to London from Dover cruise terminal". I hope this helps.:)

Archived