Gem Disappointment

Whitnee1

OP as others have said, construction will be over when you cruise. On your other post yesterday you said: "Tortola was only scheduled as ahalf a day so I really don't understand how eliminating it is such a major impact. If in fact they do give everyone a $100.00 OBC thats a pretty fair compensation."

So on one post your happy with $100 and now you feel hoodwinked? I don't understand?:confused:

I feel hoodwinked in that why I feel it is fair compensation AFTER the change I would have chosen another itinerary to alleviate 6 sea days on a 10 day cruise.

I just read your post about NCL dropped the port of Tortola for the ten day sailing to the caribbean from NYC... I am on the December 13, 2015 sailing on the same itinerary 10 day Eastern Caribbean Sailing...our last port of call was to be Tortola... Do you know if this port of call is dropped for good?

It appears that on the NCL site and the TA site I use it is still on your itinerary.

Not to mention still don't see why it takes them an extra day to travel the same distance or less on the way down than it does on the way back.

Keep in mind it is 3 full sea days to San Juan going down. It is about 850 airline nautical miles from St Maartin to GSC so at 22 kts 38 hours that is another full sea day. GSC to NYC two full sea days. So now you have 3 full sea days going back as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

It appears that on the NCL site and the TA site I use it is still on your itinerary.

They are saying we are still stopping there on the Dec 13th sailing, I called yesterday. That was my 3rd time calling in 2 weeks, hoping it doesn't change. They said the Jan 2nd sailing is skipping it for maintenance on the ship. We all know things can change last minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In MY opinion there really isn't much at Tortola to do on your own-on the other hand if your willing to spend 100-200 dollars for a ship tour they say they have some of the most beautiful spots for snorkeling and such at the baths(not my cup of tea). 100 dollar credit would be fine in my book. Overall all the cruise companys need to develop new carribean stops(which I understand is being done) for those of us that have been to the Carribean numerouse times mainly because of having more homeports that do not require flying which can break the bank when you are traveling with a family.

By the way the current sailing of the gem is scheduled(as of yesterday) to tender at Tortola on 11/28/14. I read the reason for all the confusion is that they JUST RECEIVED the grant money they requested some time ago to make improvements to the docks to handle the larger ships that are being built now. I recall just a few years ago they built a small dock to the forward right side of the current dock(didn't look big enough to handle a small cruise ship). Right now they are only able to handle two ships-one on each side of the current dock-maybe they should have considered building another dock to the left and then they could handle 4 ships instead of two-maybe poor planning on there part.