Harwich to st Petersburg 17/07/15

Honey49

My first post! Cruising from Harwich on Brilliance of the Seas on 17 July 2015.

I would appreciate a few tips from those thaT may have done it before. I've heaRd a lot about needing a visa for Russia, or having to pay through the nose for the ship tours, is this true? Can private tours be trusted there? Is there a historical sight there that one simply cannot miss?Does this apply to Denmark, Sweden, Estonia as well. Also, what is the best way to transfer from London to the port at Harwich? We have an ocean view cabin on the starboard side of the ship, is this as good as any? Lot of questions for a first timer typing with one finger eh? Can't wait for your expert opinions.

For St. Petersburg no visa is no individual visa is needed if you are on a ship tour. If you go individually you have to apply for a visa on your own beforehand. The city is safe but go with official transportation. No visa requirements for all other countries on that trip, just passport (if you are from Europe or North America).

There is a train from London (Paddington I believe) to Harwich that stops directly at the ship. Runs frequently, just google it.

For St. Petersburg no visa is no individual visa is needed if you are on a ship tour. If you go individually you have to apply for a visa on your own beforehand. The city is safe but go with official transportation. No visa requirements for all other countries on that trip, just passport (if you are from Europe or North America).

There is a train from London (Paddington I believe) to Harwich that stops directly at the ship. Runs frequently, just google it.

If you go with a local tour company in Russia you do not need a visa either. Basically as long as you are in a tour group, either ships tour or local tour company then they will do you a group visa. However if you want to explore by yourself then getting a visa is the only way to go. I believe the cost is in the region of £150pp for a Russian tourist visa.

When we went we booked a local tour company tour for day 1 and the ships shopping tour for day 2. The beauty of the shopping tour was that you got approx 2hrs in St Petersburg unsupervised to explore, without the need for a visa.

The train for Harwich leaves from Liverpool St in London. There is 1 specific cruise train available on the day, however, it is much cheaper to book in advance and change trains at Manningtree (this does involve carrying suitcases up and down stairs to change trains). The train company to Google is Abellio Greater Anglia.

The best info on here can be found in the Baltic port section and on your specific roll call board.

By the way, Tallinn, Estonia is a beautiful city, a real gem of the Baltic region and the ship docks almost in the middle of the old and new town.

The sail in and out of Stockholm is quite something also.

Hope this helps

Rob

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We did this cruise a few years ago and it is fantastic! As the previous poster said, you would need to apply for a visa if you are not doing ships tours. St Petersburg is the only place I have been to that I would recommend only using ship's tours; Russia is still a little unreliable! I would recommend a trip to the St Petersburg metro - it really is quite stunning.

All of the other ports you do not need visas for, but in Stockholm and Tallinn you dock a fair walk from the main city. There might be shuttle buses from the dock, or you can get a local taxi.

You have booked a great cruise on a wonderful ship - you are in for great time!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

If you go on your roll call and introduce yourselves, you may find other people to join you in a private two day tour in SP. We used TJ travel, who were brilliant.

We did this cruise and, it's our best one yet, we still talk about it to this day.

Here is a link to your roll call................

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2033197

Welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

If you go on your roll call and introduce yourselves, you may find other people to join you in a private two day tour in SP. We used TJ travel, who were brilliant.

We did this cruise and, it's our best one yet, we still talk about it to this day.

Here is a link to your roll call................

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2033197

There are a number of us on this cruise and we would welcome you to join our roll call.