Once again!

Sea and Me

I've been on this board before stating that my brother in law was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. We have two cruises booked. The one in Nov. is being tossed around to cancel for several reasons, however we are booked on the Adventure for Aug. 13th. Yesterday I received a call that he is doing poorly. He is confined to bed and hardly eating. I'm wondering what to do. I don't want to be out of the country if he should die. Going on a cruise at this time seems "heartless" while his family members are going through so much pain. We do have RCI insurance and I'm planning on seeing my TA today. I don't know if any of you have had this situation in the past, if so would you tell me what you did. If the diagnosis was months no problem I'm talking of his life being numbered in days.

Thank you for understanding. I appreciate your answers. Its not about me at this time, its being here for my sister and family.

Carol

There are many answers.

Some answers will be based solely on emotion, then some will be based on logic. Some might use both.

First of all, I'm sorry that you have to go through this, Sad indeed.

Straight up,,, my wife tells me that I'm heartless when it comes to stuff like this. I might be guilty of that but it's who I am.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be thinking what would I want people to do if the roles were reversed. Would I want family members to be put out, possibly lose some of their hard earned money and cancel their vacation? No, I would not. I'd want them to go and enjoy themselves, raise a toast to me and remember some of the good times and laughter we shared.

But, you also have to think about Sis. She needs your support. Or so you think. Have you asked her. Is she the kind of person to smile, hug you, say go on your cruise, while really resenting that you are not staying back?

Tough situation that you only hope no one ever has to go through.

I've been on this board before stating that my brother in law was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. We have two cruises booked. The one in Nov. is being tossed around to cancel for several reasons, however we are booked on the Adventure for Aug. 13th. Yesterday I received a call that he is doing poorly. He is confined to bed and hardly eating. I'm wondering what to do. I don't want to be out of the country if he should die. Going on a cruise at this time seems "heartless" while his family members are going through so much pain. We do have RCI insurance and I'm planning on seeing my TA today. I don't know if any of you have had this situation in the past, if so would you tell me what you did. If the diagnosis was months no problem I'm talking of his life being numbered in days.

Thank you for understanding. I appreciate your answers. Its not about me at this time, its being here for my sister and family.

Carol

Not been in your situation.

Cancellations or trip interruptions due to sickness/death of immediate family, which includes your brother-in-law, are standard coverage of trip insurance companies. RCI probably uses a company for this. your TA should know.

If in your position, I will cancel all my bookings, even if fully paid. For me, family is family. There are always cruises available.

The cruise for Aug. 13th is canceled. The reason being both my brother in law and then DH was having issues on his new dose of medication. DH is much better but didn't feel he wanted to travel at this time. We spent time with my brother in law the other day. He still has his sense of humor. He is very frail and now on a pain patch. He has lost a lot of weight. It is very sad!

I received insurance papers yesterday and will fill them out. Doctor is on vacation until the 16th but TA feels that DH med issue is a reason to file the paperwork.

Thanks for your posts.

Carol

Carol

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am in the exact same spot with my brother-in-law.

I learned in the past that a vacation is only a vacation if one is in a mental state to enjoy it. Sounds like this is not one of those times.