Cruise Insurance for Canadians?

I've tried reading through some threads using the Search engine, but the discussions are not focussed on this one thing.

Who in Canada has found someone to insure their cruise? We've just been told that Travelex no longer underwrites Canadians (they did in June.) CSA also does not either, nor Travelguard I believe. This is getting serious.

What I'd like is a recommendation from a fellow Canadian on this subject.

I'm due for final payment in about 10 days on an 18-day cruise. We will be leaving from the U.S., so that's also an issue, since some Canadian insurers insist on you leaving from Canada. There's also a 30-day limit on coverage often as well, and our entire trip will be 31 days. But I figure if I'm lucky I can at least cover the cruise portion, which is the most expensive part.

I've tried reading through some threads using the Search engine, but the discussions are not focussed on this one thing.

Who in Canada has found someone to insure their cruise? We've just been told that Travelex no longer underwrites Canadians (they did in June.) CSA also does not either, nor Travelguard I believe. This is getting serious.

What I'd like is a recommendation from a fellow Canadian on this subject.

I'm due for final payment in about 10 days on an 18-day cruise. We will be leaving from the U.S., so that's also an issue, since some Canadian insurers insist on you leaving from Canada. There's also a 30-day limit on coverage often as well, and our entire trip will be 31 days. But I figure if I'm lucky I can at least cover the cruise portion, which is the most expensive part.

just checked travelguard and didnt see any limitations. Did a mock booking to italy for 3 weeks and it came up around $450

Not that it helps this time around but have you considered getting a travel credit card? I have one that gives me up to 21 days free coverage per trip (if trip booked/paid for using the card), includes medical, lost luggage and cancellation/interruption coverage.

Have the option to buy additional coverage but my work insurance covers the rest if needed.

Good luck.

Are you looking for trip cancellation or just medical??

I am confused by your comment

" We will be leaving from the U.S., so that's also an issue, since some Canadian insurers insist on you leaving from Canada."

WE have driven to Texas to visit family then driven to Florida to pick up a cruise or 2 then drive home

When I buy insurance I put in the dates we will leave Canada & return to Canada sometimes it can be 2 mths

I put the cost of the cruises & any non refundable tours or hotels in the coverage amount

Now I have never had to claim on those trips so I guess I am hoping we were covered

We have had to claim other times & there was no problem with RSA as I posted in your other thread

Do you or DH have any coverage from your employer that you might be able to ad the trip cancellation coverage to ?

WE have out of Province medical from DH retirement package

Lyn

Edited by LHT28