Silversea (Shadow) First Timer

stevo58008

We are lucky enough to be spending our honeymoon on board the Silver Shadow for 18 nights in a few weeks time. We've only ever done a Celebrity cruise before, so it would be nice if any of you more experienced Silversea travellers could give us any tips or advice on what to expect and how to make the most of the trip?

Also I've been reading through the many threads, and from them the common theme seems to be that the service is excellent and that the staff will try and fulfil all and any requests, no matter how great or small. This sounds amazing, but just how accurate is this? Say I fancied a Steak or Lobster for breakfast???

I also read one thread where a few people said that they requested particular spirits before they went on the cruise, and that their requests were always met. Does anyone know how you would do this? I've logged into our mysilversea account and looked but can't find anywhere where you can specify particular requests (more than what type of pillow you'd like, or if you have a specific dietary requirement).

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Don't worry about your alcohol choices. Your butler will bring whatever you ask for if they stock it on board. For example we always request Bombay Sapphire Gin and Jack Daniels. We get a 1 litre bottle of each and the fridge is topped up daily with tonic, 7up etc. Lobster, steak etc available but you would need to give them a little notice in advance. You will love Silversea.

You say you are boarding in a few weeks...San Francisco? Please go the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle thread (link is above). Sign up for the party. We are also boarding then. You will have the best time. As patnlcc said, when you board, your butler will orient you to the ship and take your requests. I suggest you make a list of preferences and hand it to him/her: liquor, wine, soda, snacks, etc. if you want lobster for breakfast, speak with the maitre'd to arrange it. If you want something special for dinner, you can request it a day ahead. Also, try and make at least 1 dinner reservation in each of the optional restaurants before boarding, la Terrazza, The Pool Grill and LaChampagne. Print them out and take it with you. On boarding day there will be an assigned time to meet with dining staff and verify your reservations. As you adjust to the ship you may want to cancel a reservation. Sometimes It is easier to cancel than to make a spur-of-the-moment reservation. As far as the dress code goes, don't obsess but read the guidelines and pack accordingly. If you are on #3428 the dress code will be 2 formal, 6 informal and 3 casual. The next segment (which sounds like perfect honeymoon, to me!) is #3429 with 3 formal, 10 informal and 5 casual. Hope this helps. I will happy to answer any other questions you have. Remember, you will be tired but happy and you are going to sea!

Stevo58008/Steve;

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Welcome to Cruise Critic in general, and welcome to the Silversea board in particular.

Strongly echo what patnlcc and duct tape recommend above.

Steve, if you go the your my silversea account, you can click on the Guest Details tab and indicate (if u care too) that y'all are celebrating your honeymoon on board. Believe the Shadow team will privately recognize this wonderful/special occasion with a note from the Captain and surprise (cake) for your suite.

If you care to special order select spirits for your suite prior to boarding and you booked with a Travel Agent(TA), you may want to have him/her put your spirit preference in ahead of time (e.g., we ask for a bottle of White Chocolate Grappa). If y'all like champagne you can ask your butler to provide champagne daily in an ice bucket to celebrate your new wedding--daily :)

Like duct tape suggests above--u can special order almost anything y'all would like to eat. We enjoy making a special order a few times when we are on board a Silversea ship. For instance, when we had our reservation in La Terraza, we got with the M/D a day ahead and asked him if the Chef

could prepare spaghetti carbonara for us as an appetizer. Also, for a special meal in the main dining room, "The Restaurant," we again asked the M/D a day or so ahead, if we could have Steak Diane (or if you like seafood, y'all could asked them to prepare dover sole) for desert we ask them to prepare crepe suzzettes.

Believe y'all will cherish/truly enjoy your first Silversea cruise--we look forward (if you have a spare moment during your honeymoon) to reading about your Shadow/SS impressions. Have fun!

Edited by WesW

Thank you all for your replies. It sounds fantastic! We're both excited, and looking forward to it (yes duct tape we will see you in san fran on 24th)! I've spent the last few weeks (well maybe months) trying to get into shape for our honeymoon, and I can see all my good work going going straight down the pan, if just half of what you guys say happens! I definitely like the sound of celebrating our wedding with champagne (or even better a nice drop of bourbon or rum - W.L Weller 12 Year Old or Mount gay extra old and I'd be in heaven) every day. thanks for that tip Wes!

One further question I did have... What is the usual/majority age range of the silversea passengers? Rightly or wrongly, for some reason I have a perception of it being a more, erm, mature clientele? We are both early 30's, and hope that either we don't stick out like a sore thumb, or there's a least a few more (whatever age) out there that enjoy a few drinks and a good laugh in the evening... and at lunchtime... and well maybe a breakfast or two as well ;)

I did try to send you each a personal thank you but can't seem to find how to send a private message. Am I missing something obvious?

I have never learned to send a private message on CC. Do not know if it is possible. Some techie will let us know. Demographics shift every segment. Since this will be an 18 day cruise, the crowd will be older. That is not to say that you won't enjoy them. The pool bar is crowded all day and the late night events draw the fun-lovers. Nobody has to get up in the morning so it doesn't matter how old you are! I think you will find a congenial crowd, well educated, well traveled and anxious to meet the honeymooners! You can mix as much as you like or just be by yourselves. Relax. You will hav e a great time! See you there.

Hi Stevo

Congratulations on your forthcoming nuptials - or perhaps they've already happened?

Like you, we're newbies on Silversea and really looking fwd to our trip and counting down the days.

No need to worry about age and standing out like a sore thumb...

I know people who are 31 going on 61 and people (like myself and my partner) who are 61 going on 31 :)

You're as young as the woman/man that you feel - not sure who said that, but I like it.

Here's hoping you'll both have a great time.

Best regards

Mark

Sounds cheesy - age is just a number.