Ports in Vietnam and Cambodja

EUROPEU

In October I'll be in Legend of The Seas departing from Singapore and wil stop among others, in Sihanoukville ( Cambodja) and Nha Trang and Chang Mai ( Vietnam).

Anyone kows if it is easy to find drivers in these ports to negociate private excursions? Are price good?

In October I'll be in Legend of The Seas departing from Singapore and wil stop among others, in Sihanoukville ( Cambodja) and Nha Trang and Chang Mai ( Vietnam).

Anyone kows if it is easy to find drivers in these ports to negociate private excursions? Are price good?

You can go on and search ahead of time for private tour guide and negotiate on line. They will met you at dock and can hold sign with your name on it. A good one is Tours by Locals, then look for port and country. This way you will have someone waiting for you and also you can tell them need English speaking.

Hope this helps.

Chiang Mai is in the NW of Thailand - far from any ports. Saigon is one port in Vietnam often visited along with Nha Trang.

Edited by chrispb

I'm guessing that for "Chang Mai" you meant "Chan May" - the cruise port for Da Nang.

Sorry. I can't help with the situation at that port or at Nha Trang.

But at Sihanoukville it's easy to negotiate with vans or tuk-tuks at the pier. Tuk-tuks for just around the town.

Vans if you want to go as little further - we went to Ream National Park, a ride in a long-tail boat to a little island, and to a very grubby but very interesting little fishing village. Very cheap.

JB :)

I'm guessing that for "Chang Mai" you meant "Chan May" - the cruise port for Da Nang.

Sorry. I can't help with the situation at that port or at Nha Trang.

But at Sihanoukville it's easy to negotiate with vans or tuk-tuks at the pier. Tuk-tuks for just around the town.

Vans if you want to go as little further - we went to Ream National Park, a ride in a long-tail boat to a little island, and to a very grubby but very interesting little fishing village. Very cheap.

When you say cheap, roughly what would be paid for a day and is everything paid in $US?

When you say cheap, roughly what would be paid for a day and is everything paid in $US?

This was 4 years ago, which is why I didn't quote figures. I don't know how much things have changed - now it's almost certainly quite a lot more but still cheap.

Sihanoukville, a van with driver & guide for the day was $90.

Da Nang about the same.

Bali much less, about $50.

In our case, divided between 10 to 12 of us.

USD in Sihanoukville & Indonesian ports.

You'll also get by with USD in Vietnam, but we had 6 days /4 ports so we took some Vietnamese dong - useful in case USD aren't accepted for museums, city taxis, etc., and for better value.

Edited by John Bull

This was 4 years ago, which is why I didn't quote figures. I don't know how much things have changed - now it's almost certainly quite a lot more but still cheap.

Sihanoukville, a van with driver & guide for the day was $90.

Da Nang about the same.

Bali much less, about $50.

In our case, divided between 10 to 12 of us.

USD in Sihanoukville & Indonesian ports.

You'll also get by with USD in Vietnam, but we had 6 days /4 ports so we took some Vietnamese dong - useful in case USD aren't accepted for museums, city taxis, etc., and for better value.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

If you want a great all-inclusive tour, contact Tommy Dao Hoi An Tours (#16/113 on Tripadvisor). We used him in January 2015 and loved him. I first organized a group of 8 on Cruisecritic and at the end, 47 cruisers used his services. Some were in group of 2, others were 12-14... Everyone had only great praises for Tommy and his guides... We will never forget our tour in that area of Vietnam... Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...