costa cruises in the mediterranean--language problems and food choices

goat rancher

We are looking at the wintertime Mediterranean cruises, but have never sailed with Costa before.

We speak only English....

If we book shore tours through Costa, what language/s do the guides speak??

Is it going to be a problem understanding where to meet for tours and, once we are on a tour, are we going to be in a situation where we won't understand anything going on??

Also, on a totally different subject, does anyone have a typical menu for Costa?

We've been on Carnival, Princess and HAL....How do the menu options compare??How about general quality of food??

Costa offers tours for English-speaking passenger BUT we got the cancellation notices a few times. It has host for us just in case.

Foods wise, we love Costa's fresh pasta/sauce, olive oil & garlic, among others. And we enjoy being around with different cultures & languages.

thx.....

as long as SOMEONE speaks English on our tours, that would help....

We aren't super picky on food....husband does like pasta dishes....

Will have to see how this plays out....as far as I can see, only Costa and MSC do an itinerary in Jan/Feb that goes to Israel and that is what we are trying to put together....

but having never been to Europe and never going on a ship where English isn't the primary language, I am a little more apprehensive..

thx again:)

If there are not enough English speakers to fill an excursion, Costa will combine different nationalities, so long as the tour guide speaks both languages, i.e. English / German.

English is the most widely spoken language amonst the crew, crew (especially at the reception) where flags to show which languages they speak.

Here is a link to Costa menus, these are old now, but gives some idea:

http://cruiseclues.com/shipstips/costamediterranea.htm

thanks SO much:)....

that is a great reference page, which I am going to study more on my days off...but the menus which I glanced at looked wonderful....and definitely would make me look more favorably about booking.

I've been on 14 Princess, 2 HAL and 2 Costa cruises. Language on Costa has never been a problem (all announcements are in several languages, including English) and the vast majority of European passengers speak English.

As for food, I'd say Costa's buffet is a 'step down' from Princess' or HAL's, but the MDR offerings are comparable (with perhaps smaller portions... but you can order as much as you want).

Where Cost wins 'hands down' is with their All Inclusive Extra 'drink package' - approx. half the price of Princess'... and worth buying even for people who don't drink alcohol.

They always have an english speaking "Ambassador" or Guest Relation Officer which has even Q+A-Timings during the day and

often if there are not that many english speaking guests on board

he or she will give recommendation for guided tours and will participate as well in this tours.

The bar/restaurant/service staff speaks more often English than Italian.

My parents don't speak italian but german and they always had a great time on Costa and as they were so far over 33 times travelling with them it's almost a second family for them when they meet staff members they met on privious cruises.