Plane Ticket Prices to SJU

colesc15

I have a cruise booked middle of March.. Right now, every flight I've found, even driving 3 hours away for an airport, are around $700 a person.. For those who have gone to SJU around mid-March, when have you experienced the best prices? I have a decent area of airports I can fly from.. I'd prefer Green bay WI, Milwaukke WI, or Chicago.. I REALLY need the airfare to be with Delta because I have $800 in vouchers that expire in March..

If I'm not mistaken that will be Spring Break time...... airfares are always higher then.

We have found that flying around holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, EAster, Spring Break, 4th of July etc) that prices usually will NOT go down the closer you get but could very well go UP ! Its the old supply and demand game.

Good luck

Try booking flights with Delta to and from airports were Jetblue and Southwest and even Airtran have outgoing flights to SJU. That way you can take advantage of your vouchers and maybe getting a good deal with the other airline. But you'll have to book separate instead of connecting in order for this to work. Either way, like they said, it's Spring Break and a LOT of people want to fly into PR so I think no matter what, you'll be having some out-of-pocket expense. How much would depend on how you book. Good Luck!!

Try booking flights with Delta to and from airports were Jetblue and Southwest and even Airtran have outgoing flights to SJU. That way you can take advantage of your vouchers and maybe getting a good deal with the other airline. But you'll have to book separate instead of connecting in order for this to work. Either way, like they said, it's Spring Break and a LOT of people want to fly into PR so I think no matter what, you'll be having some out-of-pocket expense. How much would depend on how you book. Good Luck!!

I'm hoping not an insane amount out of pocket :)

Anyone else?

I can only tell you our experience was we bought tickets from Southwest the day they went on sale. Within days the price had doubled. That's for flying from Baltimore to San Juan the day before our cruise in February.

I can only tell you our experience was we bought tickets from Southwest the day they went on sale. Within days the price had doubled. That's for flying from Baltimore to San Juan the day before our cruise in February.

We did the same, but we are flying Las Vegas to San Juan. The price for our flight to SJU (one way/pp) has varied between $308-$381. We are using points, or I would consider another carrier. Hopefully the flight home won't be too bad. SW doesn't release the next set of flights until October 14th, so I should know soon. The upside to using a carrier like SW is that if the price drops on your flights you can change to the lower rate without fees.

This may be an odd suggestion, but check the first/business class fare. If you are stuck with that kind of prices for economy, then adding some for a better seat may be worth it?

Other than that, we are used to the high prices and inconvienent itineraries we get going to Puerto Rico- once we had a daily direct flight, then just weekends, then just weekends during holidays.... now it's a tight connection through Atlanta.

With the flight length, we do spend the money on first class. It's one of the flights we've found that the delta price isn't as much as most think it is.

This may be an odd suggestion, but check the first/business class fare. If you are stuck with that kind of prices for economy, then adding some for a better seat may be worth it?

Other than that, we are used to the high prices and inconvienent itineraries we get going to Puerto Rico- once we had a daily direct flight, then just weekends, then just weekends during holidays.... now it's a tight connection through Atlanta.

With the flight length, we do spend the money on first class. It's one of the flights we've found that the delta price isn't as much as most think it is.

First class is like $2800 a person... Lol

In the past, when I've flown to Florida in March, typically plane ticket prices came downend kof October. For those who have gone to San Juan in March, when did you typically see a decrease in prices?

you want to sell the voucher??? Then you can fly any airline.....let me know pm me

I know you would prefer delta but take a look at Southwest Airlines

Don't discount Delta. Our cheapest turned out to be Delta down and Southwest back. It all depends on if the cheap Get Away prices are gone. One thing to factor though is that Southwest has free baggage. Our Delta flight down turned out to be first class, so we will have free luggage both ways.

I have a cruise booked middle of March.. Right now, every flight I've found, even driving 3 hours away for an airport, are around $700 a person.. For those who have gone to SJU around mid-March, when have you experienced the best prices? I have a decent area of airports I can fly from.. I'd prefer Green bay WI, Milwaukke WI, or Chicago.. I REALLY need the airfare to be with Delta because I have $800 in vouchers that expire in March..

The first rule of low airfares is you have to be flexible. You just can't have it all your way and get the lowest fare.

It appears you want to return on Sunday, the day flights are in highest demand and as a result the fares are the highest. If you instead return on Monday I'm seeing fares as low as $545 on Delta from Chicago. If you return on Tuesday then it drops to $475.

I'm sitting in San Juan as I type this because I stayed over one night after my cruise to get a better airfare.

Maybe if you think outside the box you could piece meal it together. Try pricing roundtrip flights to FLL on Delta and then rountrip from FLL to SJU on Southwest. I would suggest you consider staying one night in Ft Lauderdale and then flying to San Juan the day of the cruise for two reasons; The first is most hotels in San Juan require a two night minimum stay on the weekends pre-cruise and your ship doesn't leave until 8:30 PM. Many here will pooh-pooh that because they are applying their Chicago/New Jersey/Kansas City mindset that everyone must fly in a day early. Well, once you're down in Ft Lauderdale you're already in the Caribbean.

Are you locked into that week? If you go one week earlier or one week later you can reduce your costs on about every aspect of the trip.

Edited by Florissouri

The first rule of low airfares is you have to be flexible. You just can't have it all your way and get the lowest fare.

It appears you want to return on Sunday, the day flights are in highest demand and as a result the fares are the highest. If you instead return on Monday I'm seeing fares as low as $545 on Delta from Chicago. If you return on Tuesday then it drops to $475.

I'm sitting in San Juan as I type this because I stayed over one night after my cruise to get a better airfare.

Maybe if you think outside the box you could piece meal it together. Try pricing roundtrip flights to FLL on Delta and then rountrip from FLL to SJU on Southwest. I would suggest you consider staying one night in Ft Lauderdale and then flying to San Juan the day of the cruise for two reasons; The first is most hotels in San Juan require a two night minimum stay on the weekends pre-cruise and your ship doesn't leave until 8:30 PM. Many here will pooh-pooh that because they are applying their Chicago/New Jersey/Kansas City mindset that everyone must fly in a day early. Well, once you're down in Ft Lauderdale you're already in the Caribbean.

Are you locked into that week? If you go one week earlier or one week later you can reduce your costs on about every aspect of the trip.

Yes I have to go this week. I have a hotel booked in San Juan already for one night for a good pric. I have a great deal on a grand suite for this cruise as well

Yes I have to go this week. I have a hotel booked in San Juan already for one night for a good pric. I have a great deal on a grand suite for this cruise as well

Well, then. If you can afford a Grand Suite then you can afford $700 airfare.

I normally couldn't, but I got a grand suite for less than what we paid for a balcony on the allure last year so I couldn't pass it up.

Then you really have no option other than fly in on Saturday and back on Monday if you want lower airfare.