Post-Cruise Flight Time from Heathrow

mosenga

We're taking a Princess cruise out of Southampton next June. The itinerary indicates that it is scheduled to arrive back at Southampton at 7:00 am on a Saturday. What are the chances of making a 1:00 pm flight out of Heathrow?

Working backwards......

For a 1pm flight I'd recommend arrival at the airport by 11am latest.

THREE HOURS before flight time is airlines' and airport's recommendation but that's very conservative and I think has much to do with making life simpler for them.

ONE HOUR to 90 MINUTES before flight time is when most check-ins close. Because of potential delays at check-in and security, that's cutting it fine.

Southampton to Heathrow is usually a dream on a Saturday. Expect the drive to take no more than 90 minutes.

So the latest to leave Southampton is 9.30.

Which of course leaves no margin for delay.

Disembarkation at Southampton can be a bit of a scrum. Formalities are quick, but collecting bags can be crowded and slow.

To be safe, I'd suggest you arrange for unassisted early disembarkation, which is usually around 7am? This puts you ahead of the herd.

If that's not possible you need to ask (or beg and cajole or stamp your feet and demand) an early disembarkation slot. This will put you ahead of most of the herd.

It's not about the extra 30 or 60 minutes, you don't need that extra time but like anywhere and in any circumstances, any delay added to any other delay will most affect those disembarking later.

A car booked for 7.3O, perhaps up to 8.30 if you opt for assisted disembarkation, will get you to Heathrow in very good time and with a broad window for problems.

A car will cost you £80 to £90.

The train for two people will take longer, will cost about the same, you'd have to taxi to the station and the journey ends with an included RailAir bus transfer. Awkward, time-consuming, the worst option.

Can be done in the time-scale by National Express bus. The cheapest option at about £18 per person, but limited frequency and of course it's inflexible.

Ships' coach transfers usually accept bookings for those with flights around 12.30 to 1.00pm. Prices vary a lot, I believe Princess' are better value than most but save very little compared to a private transfer.

JB :)

From our experience on the Ruby Princess this past July, its not the ship disembarkation or the 90 minute drive to Heathrow (we used the Princess transfer) that will potentially delay you, but the horrendously long lines for check-in and security and the 15 - 20 minute hike to the gate that could cause you to miss your plane even though you arrived at the airport two hours prior to your flight!

We disembarked the ship at 7:45 a.m., easily found our luggage and transfer bus and were on our way by 8:30 a.m. We arrived at the new terminal 2 at 10 a.m.; spent about 10 minutes changing our flight from 6 p.m. to 12 noon, and then spent the rest of time waiting on lines and then racing through the terminal to our gate. We were the last people to board the plane before they closed the gate!

So unless they have improved the system at the airport (especially the trek to the gate while schlepping a carry-on bag), I would recommend getting to the airport at least 3 hours before your flight to be on the safe side.

(I'm guessing that by next summer there's going to be an additional body temperature check instituted as well as all the other security that is in place.)

BTW, I'm not criticizing the security, just pointing out how long it will take.