Barcelona precruise on Diadema?

RMS Olympic

I am considering a cruise on the Diadema next Sept. and found the cost of airfare to Barcelona much less than Italy and may chose Barcelona as my port of embarkation.

Any suggestions on a precruise hotel?

Is it better to select a hotel near the hotel or near the port taking into consideration taxi transportation to the ship?

For a one night stay I am looking for convenience, avoiding potential flight delays and getting over a sleepless night crossing the pond.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

A lot depends on whether you wish to sight see in Barcelona if you dont there is a hotel called El Prat Sallas They will pick you up at the airport take you to their hotel B&B and the next morning to the port to board your ship

Given the price of Spanish Taxis usually 40€ to the port from the airport the cost of the hotel is very reasonable We have done this many times and have booked it again for Feb on the Diadama

• 2 months later...
I am considering a cruise on the Diadema next Sept. and found the cost of airfare to Barcelona much less than Italy and may chose Barcelona as my port of embarkation.

Any suggestions on a precruise hotel?

Is it better to select a hotel near the hotel or near the port taking into consideration taxi transportation to the ship?

For a one night stay I am looking for convenience, avoiding potential flight delays and getting over a sleepless night crossing the pond.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

We are cruising out of Barcelona next week, on the Diadema, and are staying at the Acta Ink 606 both before and after the cruise. I'll post a review when we get back, including things like taxi fare to port etc. The hotel is fairly near the Sagrada Familia & not right in the middle of Barcelona, which suits us.

Edited by blackpoolbelle

If you wish to see some of Barcelona we enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Continental right on Los Ramblas. We just rolled our cases along the Ramblas until we reached the spot near the Colum Monument where we caught the Blue Bus right to the port. The airport bus lets you off less than a block away from the Hotel Continental.

Edited by lambs2

I found the Poble Sec area, just west of Las Ramblas, to be convenient, with several hotels for different budgets. Using the Blue Bus is certainly possible. I've actually walked out to the terminal, but I travel light and use walking for exercise. If you're only arriving one day early, you might want to consider using the HOHO bus. Be warned, the area around the monument is bad for pickpockets.

Edited by Dancer Bob

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed at the Hotel Acta Ink 606 both pre & post-cruise. Can't fault it - minimalist but comfortable with very good staff.

It is across the city from the port, about 10-15 min stroll from Sagrada Familia and the Hospital San Pau (well worth a look).

A taxi cost just over 20euros from the hotel to the ship, similar on return. The hotel called us a cab to the ship, and on disembarkation there are plenty of taxis at the port, with someone controlling them.

We used the metro a lot, buying Zone 1 T10 ticket, which holds 10 journeys and you can both use it. The airport is counted as within Zone 1 so in effect it cost 99cents each to get from the airport to the hotel! However, there are plenty of steps so if you have a lot of luggage you might prefer a taxi or the airport bus, as mentioned.

Edited by blackpoolbelle