RCCL: Kayak, Snorkel and Beach Excursion

bross2410

Looking at RC's Shore Excursions I always see these glowing reviews and wonder if they are staged. Until I looked at the Grand Cayman Kayak, Snorkel and Beach Excursion. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?ProductCode=GC76&DestinationCode=CARIB&sourcePage=shorexByTypePortDest&ActivityTypeId=6

Although it's not on the link above, in RC's cruise planner it has one review of this excursion and it's absolutely scathing!

Having done Stingray City, albeit 20 years ago, I thought this sounded like a nice organized taste of water-fun and a little beach action.

Has anyone done this through Royal, or anything similar through another line?

The author of the review names Royal Sports LTD of Grand Cayman as the tour operator.

Any input appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I went on the same or similar excursion several years ago from a different cruise line, and don't remember all of the details, but since nobody else has responded, I will tell you what I remember. Also, since it was several years ago, things may be done differently now.

The kayaking part was pleasant, but not exciting. We went from one part of Seven Mile Beach to another, kayaking not too far from the shore. The beach and water are beautiful.

The snorkeling part was very disappointing. This is the part where some details are murky and I'm trying to put together where they took us (when I didn't know much about the area) with what I now know. My assumption is that we didn't go quite as far as Governor's Beach and they definitely didn't take or direct us to the area which has decent enough snorkeling, though they could have, since we had to be very close (that area was probably a little further west and a little further from shore than where they took us). If they showed us that area, it would have made the excursion much better for us.

Also, their description of the excursion doesn't quite make sense, though I also don't remember how it all worked exactly. You have to bring your kayak to shore (or somewhere) before you snorkel, or else, what are you going to do with it when you snorkel? We definitely brought it to shore and then snorkeled, but I can't remember if we got in it again to go back to the starting point.

As an aside, if you're interested in snorkeling, the best area at Governor's Beach isn't as good as Eden Rock or Cemetery Beach.

I hope this helps.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

You can snorkel almost anywhere...there's not that much in the 7 mile beach area to see. Beaches are free and easy to do on your own. The "Seagrape" beach area has watersport rentals...so you can do what you want, on your own. You really don't need an organized excursion in CG!