Best scenario for turtle farm visit and beach combo?

micheluvscorgis

We'll be in Grand Cayman from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, and we are a family of four: me, DH, DS (6 years old), and DS (8 years old).

What would be the best scenario for visiting the turtle farm and visiting a beach? I've read that the turtle farm has a swimming area that is pretty fun, but I've also read that it smells like turtle poop, which DH is not enthused about when considering spending an entire day there. We live in land-locked Colorado, so we definitely want to soak all the beach in that we can get!

I'd love any feedback you can provide us that might help us decide whether we can stray from the cruise line tour/excursion situation, whether this would be stressful/worth our time for the money, and which beach might work best for us. For example, how much will it cost for us to get transportation to the turtle farm on our own? Would it be in our best interest to purchase the Turtle Adventure Tour ($45 adult/$25 child) or the Turtle Farm Exploration Tour ($18 adult/$9 child)? What about beaches? Which would be great for a family of four with two boys, six and eight?

I appreciate your help so much! We've actually been to Grand Cayman on a cruise ten years ago, but that was without kids, and not only was it a decade ago, but the fact that we were newlyweds without kids made the visit an entirely different experience!

:)

• 1 month later...

7 Mile beach is public and easy to get to via the bus.....you will want to go to a real beach...not swim at the turtle farm. I don't know if the bus goes to the turtle farm or not!

Edited by cb at sea

From what I've read the bus drops off almost right in front of the turtle farm. We are doing this exact thing - taking a bus from the port to the turtle farm and then from there to 7 mile beach. :)

This I just found on the turtle farms website

Buses: Visitors may also opt to take the official public bus transportation system first launched in October 1998. The new bus terminal is located adjacent to the Public Library on Edward St. in downtown George Town and serves as the dispatch point for buses to all districts.

There are 38 mini-buses operated by 24 licensed operators, serving eight routes. Daily service starts at 6:00 am from the depot to West Bay every 15 minutes and the schedule is as follows:

Route

Colour Code

Time

Fare

Route 1

(Directly to Cayman Turtle Farm)

Yellow

6:00am - 11:00pm

Sunday - Thursday

CI $2.00

It costs $20 for up to 3 people to ride a taxi so the bus is def much cheaper options :) Hope this helps :)