Taxi from Lisbon to Cascais?

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone ever been to Cascais by taxi from the port at Lisbon. Is it far from Lisbon and an approximate fare cost would be great. TIA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Take any taxi and you will pay what the taximeter says. Say where you want to go and taxi will wait while the taximeter is running. I did and it was cheaper than taking the train. It is close to Lisbon.

Has anyone ever been to Cascais by taxi from the port at Lisbon. Is it far from Lisbon and an approximate fare cost would be great. TIA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would say 30-35€ and 30 min to reach Cascais

Comboios de Portugal runs about two trains an hour from Cais do Sodre Station to Cascais for 2.15 Euros a person. The train takes 33 minutes, and can also be boarded at the Alcantara Mar Station. This web site is partly in Portuguese but should give you some idea of what is involved: http://www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do?vgnextoid=bf066e29d6b74010VgnVCM1000007b01a8c0RCRD

Take any taxi and you will pay what the taximeter says. Say where you want to go and taxi will wait while the taximeter is running. I did and it was cheaper than taking the train. It is close to Lisbon.

Really? Cascais is about 20 miles from Lisbon so not sure how a taxi would be cheaper. The train only costs about 2 Euros but a taxi would probably cost at least 40 Euros (one way) these days.

Hank

Really? Cascais is about 20 miles from Lisbon so not sure how a taxi would be cheaper. The train only costs about 2 Euros but a taxi would probably cost at least 40 Euros (one way) these days.

Hank

I should have explained better. We took the taxi in Lisbom went to Cascais, Guincho, Cabo da Roca, Boca do Inferno, Estoril and back to Lisbom.

Withou any doubt, cheaper

The train from Cais do Sodre is cheap, quick and very pleasant. A large part of the journey runs parallel to the water and makes it a very scenic trip. You also get off the train, only a few metres from the sea. As Boreus says above, we only paid very few euros return. I still can't see how a taxi could be any cheaper.

I should have explained better. We took the taxi in Lisbom went to Cascais, Guincho, Cabo da Roca, Boca do Inferno, Estoril and back to Lisbom.

Withou any doubt, cheaper

We are trying to follow your logic. You are saying that it is cheaper to take a taxi for about 40 miles (round trip to Cascais) then a 2 Euro train ride? Now I will not say we are the brightest bulb on the planet, but my 45 years of extensive international travel experience tells me this is a far fetched fantasy. You need to keep in mind that the OP was not asking about talking about a tour to multiple places, but rather just the cost of getting to Cascais :)

So pray tell! How did you get a taxi to do that trip for less then 10 Euros (the cost of using trains for 2 persons)? And once you have worked that out, we have a large suspension bridge (over the Tagus) to sell....cheap!

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hi.

The cheapest way to travel from Lisbon to Cascais and everything in between the river-sea coast is obviously by train.

Boreus is right about the price (2,15€, one way, one adult ticket), though occasional travellers have a cheapest option with the zapping (1,80€ and you can travel the entire urban\suburban train network of Lisbon for 1.30 hours and ending the journey for 2 hours, plus 0,5€ card= 2,3€, one journey). This last option will save you some cents:

e.g. - one adult, return trip (Lisbon-Estoril-Lisbon):

* Two Tickets: 4,3€

* Viva Viagem card, plus loading 3,6€: 4,1€

For the furthest points in the suburban network (like Cascais is) it's cheaper the zapping option for occasional travellers.

About trains at working days, there are actually 3 different lines\schedules circulating. At rush hours, from 7AM to 20:48, there are two lines working, one the full trip (aka the semi-fast) that goes to Cascais and takes 33 minutes, and there are 5 trains every single hour, departing every 12 minutes, except the "normal" period from 10AM to 5PM where there's 3 trains per hour, departing every 20 minutes. This is the one to take to Cascais.

Be careful not ending up on the other line circulating almost at the same time, the half-trip that goes only until midway-point (Oeiras).:D

The other schedule is morning\night at working days and weekends\holidays, where there's one train departing every 30 or 20 minutes.

Edited by Dom Peres