Aranui 3

ltbarringer

Has anyone sailed Aranui 3, the French government cargo vessel with space for 200 passengers sailing from Tahiti through the Marquesas Islands of the South Pacific? Would appreciate your opinions of the ship board facilities, food, excursions and most importantly your fellow passengers.

• 3 months later...

We sailed on it and had a fantastic time. A wide variety of passengers represented many different country and ages were generally above 50. The ship itself is new and offers much to do on an independent basis. Food, service, and tours were likewise very good. If you are interested in an adventure, I don't think many other lines offer an itinerary as unique as this. However, this is not a luxury cruise!

• 3 years later...

We are contemplating a "Solar Eclipse" sailing on the Aranui 3 in late June/early July 2010 in the Marquesas. I was wondering what your experience was aboard ship? I noticed that the Aranui 3 is a freighter.

While we do enjoy adventure and don't want the "glitz" of the big ships, we appreciate some degree of comfort and niceties at this stage of the game. (My husband actually expressed concern at the freighter concept...and I have to make him happy :)).

We've sailed on Cruise West through Alaska's Inside Passage and enjoyed the small ship experience. I was wondering how the Aranui 3 compared to those ships.

Thank you for your help with this,

Kathy

It has been four years since I was on the Aranui and if all is the same I would highly recommend the cruise. The suites and deluxe cabins are extremely nice. I had a very large suite with a balcony. A word of caution if you really desire a balcony some are so small you cannot sit on them. I did find that most of the time it was so hot you couldn't sit outside. I didn't like the food much but then I am a picky eater and not much into fish. I am not sure whether it has changed but most of the passengers were French. We did have a great group of English-speaking passengers and had a blast together. The lectures were not that great but personally I didn't miss that aspect of the trip. Tours were great. I would do it again.

It's been 11 yearssince we were on, but I would go again in a heartbeat.

We roughed it in the cheapest dormitory like accomodations. Had a peek into the regular cabins and they are as nice as any of the mass market cabins.

We liked the food, but we are not gourmands.

Very interesting watching the cargo being loaded/unloaded in each port. All the port excursions were included and they were very enjoyable. So different from any ports we have been to. The Marquesas remind me of what Hawaii was about 75 years ago.

Staff was wonderful. I fell and cracked a rib on deck and saw the doctor, a very cute French guy, and wasn't charged.

I think if you are adventuresome you will enjoy the trip. If you decide to go and have more question, please ask. And, please post a report when you return.

Happy cruising,

Joanne

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just an FYI update for those considering a FP cruise itinerary. We too have been monitoring choices for a 2010 Marquesas v. Tuamatos (sp).

Already did the Paul Gaughin in 2003 now looking for a different and more laid back informal experience focusing more on the environment/ nature/ culture over the cruise experirnece.

Currently we are comapring a 2010 Aranui III against a proposed Cruise West (not yet published to date) - according to my and my TA's discussions with Cruise West over the past few weeks CW corporate is trying to firm up all ports/ arrangments prior to publicly releasing the itinerary/ cabins on their website. We have been told to check back with them towards late May for confirmed itinerary.

What we do know from CW is that a Polynesian itinerary is scheduled for DEC. 2010 as a segment of a world cruise beginnning in Papeete Tahiti and ending in Fiji.

We have been on the CW Spirit of Oceanus and rather enjoyed this basic low passenger capacity cruise experirience - they have terrific Excursion Leaders/ Naturalists!

Hope this helps as you ponder a FP cruise options - as the are so limited.

leah, RN

It's been 11 yearssince we were on, but I would go again in a heartbeat.

We roughed it in the cheapest dormitory like accomodations. Had a peek into the regular cabins and they are as nice as any of the mass market cabins.

We liked the food, but we are not gourmands.

Very interesting watching the cargo being loaded/unloaded in each port. All the port excursions were included and they were very enjoyable. So different from any ports we have been to. The Marquesas remind me of what Hawaii was about 75 years ago.

Staff was wonderful. I fell and cracked a rib on deck and saw the doctor, a very cute French guy, and wasn't charged.

I think if you are adventuresome you will enjoy the trip. If you decide to go and have more question, please ask. And, please post a report when you return.

Happy cruising,

Joanne

Can you please explain what the dormitory accommodation was like on Aranui?

I preferred staying in YHA accommodation in my youth, but the dormitories were single sex back then.

Greetings,

I think the best way to explain the dorm. is they are like the old Pullman sleepers on the trains. A large room with capacity for about 30-40 people. Upper & lower bunks with a curtain you pull for privacy. There was a drawer under the bunks for your belongings. The bathrooms & showers were down the hall. It was very peaceful and quiet, no loud partiers.

On our trip there weren't very many in the dorm room, maybe a dozen, so it wasn't crowded and we felt perfectly comfortable as far as privacy. If you have stayed in Youth Hostels, it's similar but with all meals and sightseeing included.

Hope this helps. I would do the trip again, in the dorm room, if I could convince my husband to repeat.

Let me know what you decide.

Joanne

Greetings,

I think the best way to explain the dorm. is they are like the old Pullman sleepers on the trains. A large room with capacity for about 30-40 people. Upper & lower bunks with a curtain you pull for privacy. There was a drawer under the bunks for your belongings. The bathrooms & showers were down the hall. It was very peaceful and quiet, no loud partiers.

On our trip there weren't very many in the dorm room, maybe a dozen, so it wasn't crowded and we felt perfectly comfortable as far as privacy. If you have stayed in Youth Hostels, it's similar but with all meals and sightseeing included.

Hope this helps. I would do the trip again, in the dorm room, if I could convince my husband to repeat.

Let me know what you decide.

Joanne

Thank you so much for your comments, Joanne, which are much appreciated.

My husband wouldn't travel in dorm accommodation, but I would certainly consider it, if he doesn't wish to cruise.

I'll let you know what I decide.

• 4 years later...

My husband and I, returned from our Aranui 3 cruise, on February 14th, 2014. When we arrived in Tahiti, it was early in the morning....we decided to go ahead and take the taxi to the ship, not knowing if we could board yet. (it was before 11:00AM) When we got dropped off, the crew was just starting to board the ship, and helped us get our stuff on board, and gave us cold drinks and told us to relax, until later, when all the crew arrived. We didn't know what to expect on this cruise, other than, reading all of the reviews on it......we were so happy we took this cruise. While the ship is a working freight liner, half of the ship, is like any other cruise ship....for the most part. We had the best suite on the ship.....E6.....it had a nice seating area, large balcony, with panoramic views (hence, the best suite on the ship) had plenty of storage for clothes, and a TV that did get english channels, to keep up on news. The nationality of the passengers goes like this: 1/2 the passengers are French.....1/4 are German and the other 1/4 are American....that includes Canada, US and the UK. The head crew leader, York, is fantastic at his job....he spoke 4 different languages, and had a great personality....they had crew leaders, because any time we were docked at an island, we were split into groups, led by the person that spoke that language.....they had Stephen, who is super nice,and his little brother, also super nice as a crew leader. Each morning, they had a breakfast buffet set out.....if you wanted an omelet, eggs over easy, etc, you could order them, from any of the fabulous waiters they had in the dining room. Otherwise, they had a good selection of American options, and also meats and cheeses. Breakfast was normally stopped by 9:00AM. Because of the amount of people, they had 2 seating for lunch and dinner. You sign up on the first day. Either 12:00 or 12:30, and each day there after, that's when you would eat. Lunch and dinner, were both served to you. Each meal was a 3 courses. A salad or something to start, then your lunch, then dessert. Both lunch and dinner, had a bottle of wine on the table. My only dislike, was the Goat. I don't eat Goat, but my husband did. Since it's not a "menu" your ordering from, you get what they serve. Don't get me wrong, everything else was wonderful. If another table had white wine that you wanted, you could exchange your white for their red. People were really nice that we met on the ship. A majority are seasoned travelers, and they all had great stories of where they have been. The crew was awesome ! The dining crew, made eating fun, and they were ALWAYS happy.....they sang, they danced and made every effort to make sure you were taken care of. This isn't like a normal cruise, where you can graze all day.....only at meal times. Believe me, it was enough :) Anytime we had to tender, instead of docking, the crew who takes care of the freight liner part of the ship, would be the one's to help us down a pretty steep ladder, then onto the barge boat. They were all very strong men....at times, the sea could be a bit rocky, and they would just pick you up and plop you down into the barge....they all had wonderful tattoo's, which coming from me, and anti-tattoo, these were much different than the trash you see on people elsewhere.....these had meanings. Each morning, i woke up early, knowing, that we would be on some exotic, lush island, and when i opened our drapes, it was just spectacular ! The village people on these islands, are all happy, content and live by very meager means.....some islands had no internet, most had no police, fire fighters, etc...no need.....on several of the islands we stopped at, lunch was provided at a local restaurant. ALL the food at these local places was amazing.....yes, some had goat, but hey, I still had plenty of options.....the islands are so lush and tropical.....they have NO predators of any kind on the Marquesas Islands.....not even a snake....made me love them that much more !! lol You would see a few cows, some sheep and goat, and then dogs and cats....and lizards and bugs....bug spray or wipes are a must on some of these islands. The scenery was just magical.... My husband went out deep sea fishing, on a boat that is picked up on or about the 3rd island......they all caught some fish. All in all it was the best trip my husband and I have ever taken....and for my husband, that was his 20th cruise, but his first, on the Aranui 3. If you are a "soft adventurer", than this is the cruise for you.....no other cruise line, goes to more of the Marquesas Islands, than this cruise line. I was able to buy a perfect Tahitian pearl, at one of the many pearl farms, on Rangiroa. After our cruise was over, we stayed another 5 days, at the Intercontinental Resort on Tahiti, in a over-water Villa, and that too was spectacular....but, after seeing the Marquesas Islands, Tahiti, Moorea, may have beautiful waters, but they have nothing on the scenery ! Please, any specific questions, let me know, and I would be happy to answer :)

I am glad you loved this trip. It was our best as well. We did the Aranui 2 (rustic) and then the Aranui 3.

In the meantime we have almost recovered from the Polynesian Virus (figure of speech) and are now able to see other places in the world. :D

• 2 months later...