Independence review including a wheelchair users thoughts

Cruise: Independence 3/2/17

I am going to try to cover mainly information that I have not seen covered in other reviews.

Dinning: Windjammers

The first night we ate at windjammers. We were easily able to find our party of seven. And it was away from foot traffic. This was the least crowded we saw it the entire cruise. The next morning when we had breakfast it did not start off so great. My father is in a wheelchair. And unlike the day before the only table that we found to accommodate all was in a pretty crowded area. Despite the fact that my father was in a stationary position person after person kept tripping over him. He recently had to replace his very expensive wheelchair because of someone like this. So he was getting more and more upset. And what puzzles me is that out of ten people that tripped over him that morning only a couple apologized. After the tenth person tripped over (he counted) we spoke with a server to remedy the situation. They quickly got the supervisor. They quickly moved us into giovanni's where they had put some table together for us. Problem solved.

Dinning: Mdr

We dinned in the mdr the 2nd and 3rd night. We arrived at the main dinning room for the first night and found we had a wonderful view with window seating. Then noticed the step. Yes there was a step up to get to our table. I was leading our party and asked the server how my father could get to the table? He replied just up the step. Uh what? No he can not walk. So then he pointed out another route that does not require and steps. However is was a tight squeeze a wheelchair user would never fit. So after some confusion by the waiters a superior came over. After realizing the problem they come up with a solution. They moved us to the mtd level and had a table ready for as immediately. As we walked by the people waiting for a table my mom hears someone make a snide comment about us getting to cut in front of them becuase of the wheelchair. They gave us this table for the rest of the cruise. And despite the fact this was the mtd room we were able to immediately go to our table nightly without stopping at the desk. And the staff out front had been informed to let us straight in.

As for the service and food my family was quite pleased.

Dinning: ben and jerry's

The only food I paid for outside was a couple of milk shakes. I thought the shakes were only okay. (But I an a milkshake snob)

Drinks: We ended up not bringing any wine with us. So instead I brought sparking apple cider. The whole family enjoyed it one night at the mdr.

I found the lemonade to be decent if you stir it. I did not care for the apple juice and orange juice. Also something to note if you just want a glass of water on the sports deck you do not have to wait in line at the bar. At the bar off to the side is a water dispenser with cups.

Dinning: vegetarian

I am a very picky eater and a vegetarian. While i did see some options available at every meal I generally did not care for them. I ordered all the vegetarian entrees at dinner and tried most items on the buffet. I can not do spicy at all. most of the options were spicy. I can not say I really enjoyed the food. I even resorted to ordering kids mac and cheese. I would not recommend it. Boxed mac and cheese it probably better. I think the best thing I enjoyed was a spring roll. But I think the vegetarian that is a little more adventurous would find plenty to eat. But the good new is while the rest of my family gained wait from all the eating I lost weight.

I will write more soon.

Thank you for your review! So glad to find info about Vegetarian meals, as a Vegan and lactose allergy it is always a bit fear to starve on a ship ;))))

So grateful to both of You and Susan (CrusinCrow) for taking your time and sharing your thoughts and a tips.

Going on 25/03 for 5days and its my daughter's first cruise, she is so exited....