Needs suggestions for kids!

amallison

We're taking the kids on a cruise for Christmas this year and it will be their first time to cruise and to travel outside of the country. We're trying to figure out what would be the best thing to do for kids their age. We're pretty much open to anything but the youngest isn't a great swimmer. What would you suggest for kids their age?

We've only been to Costa Maya one other time so we're not well versed in what the options are.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On another board, I believe you noted your children were 7 and 9. May or may not be too young to really be interested in Mayan ruins tours, but if you think they would enjoy such a tour, check out the ones available through Native Choice. Reviews on this board, Trip Advisor, and there's a website for booking and information.

Otherwise, outside of a beach day along the malecon, there is a water park just outside the cruise port area. I personally think it's overrated and expensive but it is an alternative and kids often like these things.

I apologize, they will be 7 & 9 when we're on the cruise. They wouldn't enjoy a tour like that. I was thinking a beach day would be nice. I'm going to look into the water park, it sounds interesting.

What beach club would you recommend along the malecon that they might enjoy?

I apologize, they will be 7 & 9 when we're on the cruise. They wouldn't enjoy a tour like that. I was thinking a beach day would be nice. I'm going to look into the water park, it sounds interesting.

What beach club would you recommend along the malecon that they might enjoy?

For families like yours, I'd suggest Blue Kay. Take a taxi, not the tram. Another one might be Pitaya. There are several reviews of Blue Kay here and you can google it. Pitaya is relatively new and does seem to have a European feel as it's owners are Italian and have experience with European beach resorts. But check the site and any Trip Advisor reviews as it might be a bit more adult oriented.

Normally, I recommend Tropicante and their new spot Busters, both great spots with great service and good food and drinks. But IMO, Tropicante being in the middle of the malecon, is a bit more adult oriented. And Busters is definitely so with it's specialty tequilas and vodkas and Mexican craft beers.

So I'd think you'll find Blue Kay a bit more family oriented and quieter, although as more people hear about it, it could become more crowded.

For families like yours, I'd suggest Blue Kay. Take a taxi, not the tram. Another one might be Pitaya. There are several reviews of Blue Kay here and you can google it. Pitaya is relatively new and does seem to have a European feel as it's owners are Italian and have experience with European beach resorts. But check the site and any Trip Advisor reviews as it might be a bit more adult oriented.

Normally, I recommend Tropicante and their new spot Busters, both great spots with great service and good food and drinks. But IMO, Tropicante being in the middle of the malecon, is a bit more adult oriented. And Busters is definitely so with it's specialty tequilas and vodkas and Mexican craft beers.

So I'd think you'll find Blue Kay a bit more family oriented and quieter, although as more people hear about it, it could become more crowded.

Wonderful! Thank you so much!

We'll be there the week after you and I'm leaning Tropicante. My crew is me, wife, 20 year old stepson, his girlfriend and our almost 10 year old. Fortunately my stepson is really good with his little brother so a beach day is perfect, even if the location is more adult oriented. I'm assuming they have a frisbee or something similar. If they don't I'll bring one and leave it.

I think you'll have a good time at Tropicante. Say hello to Steve and Buster:*. And if you have a chance, have Steve point out how to get to Buster's...it's a block or so north of Tropicante . Enjoy the local brews and liquors he has there. And do be aware that the folks at El Faro, next door will try to steer you to their loungers and tell you Steve also owns it. Not true. My suggestion for folks heading there the first time: Tropicante has a white front and Blue Tropicante over the open front. Just go inside and make your presence known.

And to clarify on the "adults" comment: The OP's children are young and the beach clubs aren't really separated by any structure (not like Cozumel) so if there are 2 or 3 ships in port the malecon gets crowded and lots of people mingling about, limiting the room for kids to roam around, which is why Blue kay might be better for the OP. But for your group, just head closer to the water, it's very shallow out a ways. Great spot to throw Frisbees.

• 2 weeks later...
I think you'll have a good time at Tropicante. Say hello to Steve and Buster:*. And if you have a chance, have Steve point out how to get to Buster's...it's a block or so north of Tropicante . Enjoy the local brews and liquors he has there. And do be aware that the folks at El Faro, next door will try to steer you to their loungers and tell you Steve also owns it. Not true. My suggestion for folks heading there the first time: Tropicante has a white front and Blue Tropicante over the open front. Just go inside and make your presence known.

And to clarify on the "adults" comment: The OP's children are young and the beach clubs aren't really separated by any structure (not like Cozumel) so if there are 2 or 3 ships in port the malecon gets crowded and lots of people mingling about, limiting the room for kids to roam around, which is why Blue kay might be better for the OP. But for your group, just head closer to the water, it's very shallow out a ways. Great spot to throw Frisbees.

Thanks for the reply. That is sort of what I assumed from what I have read but I appreciate the confirmation from someone who has been there. My younger one has been around older kids his whole life, so he's well adapted and will be as happy to enjoy a lazy day flipping a Frisbee as the rest of us. Either that or he'll bug me to go back to the ship for AO. . .

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

We will be travelling to Costa Maya on a Christmas cruise also with several families, including children of all ages. We are looking for inexpensive beach packages with lots of activities to keep the children entertained.

I looked at the Blue Kay web site & have some lingering questions

1) About how much is the day pass in USD? ( I calculated it to be about $20/pp - which seems too good to be true for all inclusive)

2) What all do you get with the day pass?

3) Do the other activities cost extra (snorkeling, kayaking, kite surfing, etc.)?

4) What kind of "snacks" do they provide?

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

We will be travelling to Costa Maya on a Christmas cruise also with several families, including children of all ages. We are looking for inexpensive beach packages with lots of activities to keep the children entertained.

I looked at the Blue Kay web site & have some lingering questions

1) About how much is the day pass in USD? ( I calculated it to be about $20/pp - which seems too good to be true for all inclusive)

2) What all do you get with the day pass?

3) Do the other activities cost extra (snorkeling, kayaking, kite surfing, etc.)?

4) What kind of "snacks" do they provide?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, I don't know the answers to your questions but hopefully someone else here will be able to answer!