When buying insurance, what total do you use?

forceten

We are booked for our first cruise this June. We debated on buying the insurance or not. Then after reading the boards here finding we had a choice of seperating and getting just medical and evac and skipping trip protection.

I'm thinking we will be just getting med and evac for the just in case. We can cover the actual cruise expense ourselves if we have to not go. but an airlift off the boat or other things could easily wind up being 30k or more. So that insurance we will be getting.

Lots of choices out there.

One thing we werent sure about, if we get total coverage (trip also) - when the insurance asks us the cost of the cruise. Is it the cost of the actual rooms? Or are they also asking us to include the taxes and port charges? I mean if we wind up not going on a cruise, aren't port charges and taxes refunded no matter since we didn't go to the ports? Or does the cruise line keep everything no matter if we go or not.

We get trip cancellation/interuption ins so I insure everything ..air any hotels that may be non refundable as well as the total cost of the cruise

We did get the taxes back on the cruise when we cancelled last yr but was still out of pocket a small amount (I forgot to add the cost of air upgrade)

If you can eat the cruise fare then just get the medical

I was not about to eat my fare ;)

Compare insurance costs both ways. You may be surprised that there may not be a whole lot of difference for the insurance to cover all costs.

If the rate goes up a bit, we can eliminate things that can be canceled with no penalties, like hotel rooms or rental cars. We can't afford to just eat the cost of flights and cruises.

Read the fine print.

If you are requesting rider coverage for Pre-existing Conditions or Cancel For Any Reason, then some/most/all policies require you to cover the entire trip.

If all you want is medical and evacuation, then put the trip cost at $0