What to do in Corsica?

anniversay/grad trip

We just got off our cruise. Corsica was great! The town of Ajaccio is adorable and a nice beach is a short walk to the left. The town has people greeting the ship to give advice on what's doable in the allotted time. We were going to go to a much farther beach by taxi but has miscalculated driving time. Shopping was also popular.

We really like the beach in Ajaccio and will often use it as a relaxing beach day. You can walk through the town, go to the beach, have access to numerous cafes. etc. To go outside of town you would need to either book a tour or perhaps rent a car. For those interested in natural wonders they usually have an excursion to the Calanches which are quite interesting..and the bus trip also gives you some good vistas of the island.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
As I mentioned in my initial post...I'm not sure which port we dock at? Not sure where to get that info?

Your ship is scheduled to go into the Port of Ajaccio. I think your ship will have to tender at that port (I could be wrong). Keep in mind that you are there on a Sunday which means that much of the town will be closed.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
Just finalizing each port for our upcoming Med cruise and Corsica has me stumped...I'm not sure which port we dock at (we are on the Royal Caribbean Seranade of the Seas) Aug 27th sailing, if anyone has that info....

Any suggestions for this port of call? (not beach people)

I am sure you have finalized your plans by now but I am new to this board. We visited Ajaccio several years ago...on a Sunday. We had a lovely time as we just strolled around town and explored on our own. We were not able to do the tour of the church where Napoleon was baptized but several of our friends who were Catholic attended mass inside the church. We did go into the museum that was the birthplace of Napoleon and had a photo op in front of the statue in his honor. We also walked along the avenue adjacent to the beach. Even if you don't want to go down to the beach, the walk is beautiful and lined with tall palm trees. It was a wonderful day!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Born in Ajaccio. You can visit his house.

Ships dock right snack in the center and one st back there is a nice pedestrian st parallel to the port, go right and walk along there. Good museum along there.

Ajaccio, I think, is the least lovely of Corsicas towns. But you can stay amused for sure.

Someday go back and stay, the island is gorgeous, a hiker 's haven and really feels like France in the fifties. The people sadly aren't friendly or welcoming.

Nevertheless it has much to offer, but it would be hard to discover its charms in less than a day.

As you probably know, Bonaparte is buried in Paris.

Susan

• 1 month later...

We just saw Bonaparte Napoleon's Tomb in Paris last month.

Susan, does Ajaccio still have a little tourist bus going along the water to the Pointe des Sanguinaires? We did that when we visited Ajaccio in 2007 along with visiting the Napoleon house/museum. Do the cafes offer light meals such as seafood, crepes, galettes, or cheese plate? We had a good wine in Nice last month that was from Corsica called something like fiumicino.

Do you have any recommendations for local foods and wine? We prefer white wine.

Thanks!

Kathy