New Ports facilities in Newcastle.

Ian,t it great to see Newcastle booming. New passenger facility and expanding the Airport to cater for OS planes. Suck it up Sydney.:')

Pity about where they're putting it but. Should be on the city side of the harbour not over Dykes.

Pity about where they're putting it but. Should be on the city side of the harbour not over Dykes.

Yes I mentioned that on another thread a few months ago.

My preferred option is East of Queens WARF where the tugs used to be. A terminal similar to White bay could be built and used as conference centre etc when no ships are around. Parking station could also help with congestion at the top end of town.

Tourist attractions would include , Vineyards, for wine tasting, Port Stephens, Whale watching/fishing, Hunter Tourist Drive Hunter Valley garden, Zoo, Lake Macquarie biggest saltwater lake in Southern hemisphere, boating fishing scenic drive. Oh and shopping too.:'). Maybe hunter based cruisers should lobby for this although I believe the deal is already done for the dyke end Carrington

I think if they do it right and have a good terminal along with a proper shuttle service to the CBD and an area for private transfers then that would work.

Mic, the problem with the current terminal postion is that there isn't enough land in the area that could be used for a terminal and the access is through other port facilities, eg, coal loader. This not a welcoming part of NEWCASTLE harbour. A bit like Neumea and as isolated as White bay and Neumea. Fremantle is about to loose business due to poor facilities and Sydney is getting too congested. Newcastle is the obvious choice but only if they do it right, as you say. They are not. No forward thinking here on the part of the planners or the port authorities. Oh let's not forgetthe politics of the State and Federal Governments who have always treated Newcastle with contempt.

My quick fix solution for transport would be to do similar to what captain cook cruises did at white bay and add a ferry dock to the cruise terminal.

Then on cruise days the Stockton ferry could do a loop Queens Wharf > Stockton > cruise terminal > queens wharf etc.

I think that would be far better than shuttling buses into town

My quick fix solution for transport would be to do similar to what captain cook cruises did at white bay and add a ferry dock to the cruise terminal.

Then on cruise days the Stockton ferry could do a loop Queens Wharf > Stockton > cruise terminal > queens wharf etc.

Both options would be better.

Mic, the problem with the current terminal postion is that there isn't enough land in the area that could be used for a terminal and the access is through other port facilities, eg, coal loader. This not a welcoming part of NEWCASTLE harbour. A bit like Neumea and as isolated as White bay and Neumea. Fremantle is about to loose business due to poor facilities and Sydney is getting too congested. Newcastle is the obvious choice but only if they do it right, as you say. They are not. No forward thinking here on the part of the planners or the port authorities. Oh let's not forgetthe politics of the State and Federal Governments who have always treated Newcastle with contempt.

I am aware of many of the issues that the proposed site has and that was why I said 'Do it right' and also have full access for everyone.

It would be better. But if Newcastle were to be a home port, I have doubts. In my opinion it should be down near Wickham, opposite where the floating dock was, walk to interchange, train and light rail, no harder to get ships turned to depart than at the OPT.

It was the quick and nasty solution.

My ideal would be around the queens wharf area, but only if the light rail line was to stay in the rail corridor. Then you could have a stop right in the terminal itself.

The Government does seem pretty set on the Carrington site. Probably because it is the least cost for them. They never consider the practicalities of transport to these terminals however. I think Carrington would be another white bay.

It was the quick and nasty solution.

My ideal would be around the queens wharf area, but only if the light rail line was to stay in the rail corridor. Then you could have a stop right in the terminal itself.

The Government does seem pretty set on the Carrington site. Probably because it is the least cost for them. They never consider the practicalities of transport to these terminals however. I think Carrington would be another white bay.

Exactly right, like the new airport for Sydney going ahead with no transport infrastructure to it until it is finished and has a demand. Just illogical, as of course people will need to get to and from the airport otherwise why build it.:(

hey everyone, I don't think anyone is going to listen to any of us. I have 65 years of experience in this region and over 50 years working in and around the harbour. I get so angry to see these decisions made people who don't have a clue. The work has begun and they won't change a thing.

hey everyone, I don't think anyone is going to listen to any of us. I have 65 years of experience in this region and over 50 years working in and around the harbour. I get so angry to see these decisions made people who don't have a clue. The work has begun and they won't change a thing.
Someone/some people has made a decision based on monetary issues and not on logic or usefulness..

It would be better. But if Newcastle were to be a home port, I have doubts. In my opinion it should be down near Wickham, opposite where the floating dock was, walk to interchange, train and light rail, no harder to get ships turned to depart than at the OPT.

Sorry Gut, Wickham end is too narrow, too shallow and would be too expensive. Having said that it would not be too bad if the above were addressed.

Sorry Gut, Wickham end is too narrow, too shallow and would be too expensive. Having said that it would not be too bad if the above were addressed.

Certainly not too shallow. The floating dock was right there for years, too narrow I have doubts about there is the arm just opposite I don't see anymore issues swinging around there than they have at the OPT in Sydney.

I actually know people who had a proposal before the port authority for just that location, but I believe the land has been sold for appartments.