Normandy for just 2 people (LA Havre Port)

flames9

Yes, I am on our Roll Call,lol Being a Canuck, I want to see the Canadian/British Sectors....Appears the rest in our Roll call only want to see the USA sectors! Yes I have contacted Overlord..label-West...price for just 2 people is over 500 Euros. Tere was 1 gentleman that did 2 people tours, but he retired last yr. And yes plenty of time before our Aug 2015 sailing for others to join me.......BUT does anyone know of a company or individual that does (excellent) tours for just 2 people?? TY

If you could find a private tour guide for just 2, you are going to pay a lot of money (we are talking about hundreds of Euros). DW and simply rent a car and drive ourselves to wherever we please :). You can certainly drive yourself over to Juno and visit some of the tourist sites at and around that beach. But for what its worth, the beach that we found the most interesting was Omaha...because there are preserved bunkers and the adjacent Pointe du Hac is something to see. So we would suggest that if you do rent a car go and see Juno and also visit Omaha (even though it was not in the Canadian sector).

Hank

You can rent just a car & driver, making sure it's one who speaks passable English & knows the D-Day sights. The Canadian centre - which is on Juno beach - has staff, signage & commentaries in English.

Likewise the other Brit & Commonwealth sights and the US sights.

Although an experienced driver will know his way around the D-Day sights and is likely to have picked up some useful background, it's best to bone-up on some of the places before you travel because you'll not be guaranteed how knowledgeable the driver is.

Or just rent a self-drive car. (Amongst your checks on the rental agencies, check the latest time you can return the car).

This will add some navigation to your homework, but it's pretty simple, well-signed, no city centre driving, mainly easy parking. Like you, the French drive on the right and use kilometres.

There will undoubtedly be Canuks on your cruise with the same priorities, almost-certainly not met by ship's tours, and you just need one couple to halve your costs.

You have a variety of routes & destinations to choose from, depending on your interests & time-scale. And with a basic itinerary in mind, you can adjust as you go depending on time, mood, weather, etc.

As a rough guide

Le Havre to Juno, outside Courseulles, 1hr 20, mostly on fast A13 (E46) divided highway. Juno is worth about 1hr 30.

You have to decide for yourselves what else you want to include - broadly continue west for up to 5hrs of driving & sight-seeing, or start heading back east.

If you continue west, a further 15 minutes along the coastal lane & past Gold beach is Arromanches (Mulberry harbour, museum, town shops, bars, restaurants, an excellent place for a break of an hour or more). The only place where parking might involve a little hunting.

A further 25 minutes to the American cemetery, near Colleville-sur-mer, overlooking Omaha. Worth 1hr 30 plus.

A further 15 minutes to Pointe du Hoc. Worth 30 minutes bare minimum.

You can peel off the coastal lanes & sights at any point & return on the fast divided highway.

Pointe du Hoc is absolutely as far as you'd want to go from your ship, which is now about 1hr 45 away by the fastest route, but give yourselves at least an extra hour - there's a risk of slow traffic on the Caen ring road.

A grand total of 9 to 10 hours.

If you head east from Juno, drive past Sword beach to the little port of Ouistreham at the eastern end of the landings (taken by the Free French), and inland to Pegasus Bridge & museum. About 35 minutes from Juno to Pegasus Bridge & museum, which are worth 1hr to 1hr 30.

You are now about 1hr 30 from your ship, but give yourselves at least an extra hour.

If you haven't bitten deeply into that spare hour you can drop into the pretty little tourist/fishing harbour of Honfleur, about 30 minutes from Le Havre.

A grand total of 6hrs 30 to 7hrs 30.

This route includes all - you'll have to trim.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Avenue+Lucien+Corbeaux,+Le+Havre,+France&daddr=Courseulles-sur-Mer,+France+to:Arromanches-les-Bains,+France+to:Colleville-sur-Mer,+France+to:Pointe+du+Hoc,+Cricqueville-en-Bessin,+France+to:49.3405479,-0.9566054+to:49.2258895,-0.565734+to:Ouistreham,+France+to:B%C3%A9nouville,+France+to:49.1792757,-0.1979713+to:49.3382209,0.2460779+to:Honfleur,+France+to:Le+Havre,+France&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=49.341231,-0.55069&spn=0.620972,1.374664&sll=49.478163,0.123124&sspn=0.019351,0.042958&geocode=FXr88gIdW_IBACn1xHgs-S7gRzFW-npFuuihsg%3BFZ7E8AIdawX5_yk7CdG53VgKSDFMgBBPZi638g%3BFY3a8AIdsYD2_ynFAVHh2lUKSDEA_bxPSBQMBA%3BFQAA8QId-R7z_ymXwzswO6gLSDGw9LxPSBQMBA%3BFa2-8QIdGefw_yn5ngbxNQoLSDHL8JJsd6M2dg%3BFYPg8AIdQ2fx_ynbZTPTN6cLSDGL65KyljfcVQ%3BFaEg7wIdGl73_ylnDNE2s1EKSDHRE9u_jzJXAA%3BFfDm7wIdng38_ylXoNbB_2MKSDGy_aI1J3YpNw%3BFTtk7wIdFcH7_ynp6buTWGYKSDGw-rxPSBQMBA%3BFYtq7gIdrfr8_yl1sFhuv28KSDEitkfHIwBlRA%3BFWzX8AIdPcEDACm58ckUkczhRzGNFwyx7UpGIQ%3BFQoS8gIdLo8DACnFXQ_jpTPgRzHw6rxPSBQMBA%3BFWI58wIdmaUBACl9iyGVIy_gRzESrzOveobBWw&oq=Ave+Lucien+Le+Havre,+France&t=m&mra=ls&via=5,6,9,10&z=10

Lots of permeations within those two itineraries.

If renting. do also allow time to return the car.

JB :)

wow..ty for all that information!!

Yes a tour for just 2, is around 550 Euros......

I do enjoy driving, but 1 issue when one is driving...me being the driver, misses out on scenery,lol

I'm sure a few more Canucks/Brits will join, if not, maybe switch over and do the Band of brothers tour

TY for taking the time to write all that, something to ponder.

I do enjoy driving, but 1 issue when one is driving...me being the driver, misses out on scenery,lol

The driver actually misses out very little on this sort of tour. :)

It's all about the stops rather than the route.

The drive from Le Havre, when you need keep your mind on the fast road, isn't very scenic, and there's not a huge amount to see between stops. And no problem pulling over on the coastal lanes for photo-stops.

Not trying to persuade you, just sayin' ;)

BTW - the Band of Brothers tour.

Just a catchy name for a tour?

Or does it visit Ste Mere-Eglise, quite some distance from Le Havre at the Cherbourg end of the landings, where the 101st Airborne did its stuff?

(Good Airborne museum there).

We have spent a couple of land holidays in Normandy. Personally, I would rent a car and do it on my own. It is very easy driving as there is not very much traffic once you are away from the large towns. Excellent information from John Bull. I'm British, but do think that the museum at Omaha beach is the most impressive. After that we liked the Pegasus Bridge Museum the best. Arromanches is not far from Juno and worth visiting and Jon Bull mentioned the parking, but there is a car park there and on street parking available.

However, if you didn't want to go all the way to Omaha you could visit juno beach and Pegasus bridge and then maybe have lunch at one of the restaurants in Courselles as they have excellent fish and seafood. Or, maybe stop off at Honfleur which is very picturesque and stops you getting world warred out.

• 2 weeks later...
wow..ty for all that information!!

Yes a tour for just 2, is around 550 Euros......

I'm sure a few more Canucks/Brits will join, if not, maybe switch over and do the Band of brothers tour

TY for taking the time to write all that, something to ponder.

I also wanted to get a Canadian view of the Normandy beaches. I have been interested in D-day as a kid but DW was clueless. She was enlighten with all the info given at the Juno Beach center. John Bull gave us instructions and we rented a car. I suggest paying a few dollars more for the convenience of renting the car dockside. le_havre@rentacar.fr You can email them for a quote. Request an automatic with an english GPS or you'll get a manual. I can drive a stickshift. The ship's tours were about $200cdn each so the $100eu ($145cdn) was a big savings and it gave us some freedom. Our Cdn high school french was enough to get us by as our GPS was in french.

Be careful of the photo radar as I had a $57eu speeding ticket waiting for me at home.:)

Here's an excerpt from our journal.

November 4, 2012 We were the last to arrive so our vehicle didn’t get a Garmin (English) and it was equipped with a stock French GPS. The manual Peugeot 208 VTI that we got handled well and was easy to drive. All the paperwork was completed shortly within 15 minutes and we headed onto the expressway for the 90 minute drive to the town of Bayeux to see the famous Tapestry depicting William the conquerors conflict with Harold and his rise to the throne. The audio tour and museum was surprisingly interesting and we spent 90 minutes there. Our next stop was the cathedral of Notre Dame across the street. It was closed for renovations but its magnificence could be appreciated from the exterior. We had time for a quick stroll through town and stopped at a local patisserie for snacks on the 30 minute drive to Juno Beach. We just wanted a croissant but we also left with a cheese stick, apple tart, and a dark & white chocolate loaf. All of the items were tasty but the chocolate loaf and apple tart were items we have never experienced before. We arrived in the town of Courseulles-sur-Mer and headed for the Juno Beach Centre. We took the self-guided tour and spent an hour in the museum before heading to the beach area. The tour gave us an appreciation of Canada’s involvement on the D-Day landing at Juno Beach. There are monuments and war artefacts left throughout the area and while it’s sentimental to Canadians, and the older French people it’s become a sail surfing beach for the locals. The Canadian guide working at the centre suggested that we visit the Beny-sur-Mer Cemetery for Canadians. He said the French government allowed the loved ones of the buried soldiers to post a message on the tombstones. We took his advice and drove the 10 minutes to an area that really was open for miles without any buildings or distractions. It was quite moving to read some of the 2500 headstones and that the age of most of them were in their early twenties. We paid our respect and headed for the 20 minute drive to the Pegasus Bridge Memorial. It was a “flyby” stop on our 60 minute trip back to Le Havre. We dropped the car off at 6:30 and headed back to the ship.

Edited by lamchops

Might just have to consider renting a car

At any of these sites--are their guides to hire?

ty

I don't think there are guides "to hire".

But staff - mostly ex-servicemen - are very knowledgeable & approachable, and in some places eg Pegasus Bridge museum, they'll organise a little ad-hoc guided tour for those who are there at the time.

Plenty of signage & descriptions, most in French & English, and of course plenty of books & booklets.

So if you DIY without a guide you'll be fine. That's what most folk do.

I also wanted to get a Canadian view of the Normandy beaches. I have been interested in D-day as a kid but DW was clueless. She was enlighten with all the info given at the Juno Beach center. John Bull gave us instructions and we rented a car. I suggest paying a few dollars more for the convenience of renting the car dockside. le_havre@rentacar.fr You can email them for a quote. Request an automatic with an english GPS or you'll get a manual. I can drive a stickshift. The ship's tours were about $200cdn each so the $100eu ($145cdn) was a big savings and it gave us some freedom. Our Cdn high school french was enough to get us by as our GPS was in french.

Be careful of the photo radar as I had a $57eu speeding ticket waiting for me at home.:)

Here's an excerpt from our journal.

November 4, 2012 We were the last to arrive so our vehicle didn’t get a Garmin (English) and it was equipped with a stock French GPS. The manual Peugeot 208 VTI that we got handled well and was easy to drive. All the paperwork was completed shortly within 15 minutes and we headed onto the expressway for the 90 minute drive to the town of Bayeux to see the famous Tapestry depicting William the conquerors conflict with Harold and his rise to the throne. The audio tour and museum was surprisingly interesting and we spent 90 minutes there. Our next stop was the cathedral of Notre Dame across the street. It was closed for renovations but its magnificence could be appreciated from the exterior. We had time for a quick stroll through town and stopped at a local patisserie for snacks on the 30 minute drive to Juno Beach. We just wanted a croissant but we also left with a cheese stick, apple tart, and a dark & white chocolate loaf. All of the items were tasty but the chocolate loaf and apple tart were items we have never experienced before. We arrived in the town of Courseulles-sur-Mer and headed for the Juno Beach Centre. We took the self-guided tour and spent an hour in the museum before heading to the beach area. The tour gave us an appreciation of Canada’s involvement on the D-Day landing at Juno Beach. There are monuments and war artefacts left throughout the area and while it’s sentimental to Canadians, and the older French people it’s become a sail surfing beach for the locals. The Canadian guide working at the centre suggested that we visit the Beny-sur-Mer Cemetery for Canadians. He said the French government allowed the loved ones of the buried soldiers to post a message on the tombstones. We took his advice and drove the 10 minutes to an area that really was open for miles without any buildings or distractions. It was quite moving to read some of the 2500 headstones and that the age of most of them were in their early twenties. We paid our respect and headed for the 20 minute drive to the Pegasus Bridge Memorial. It was a “flyby” stop on our 60 minute trip back to Le Havre. We dropped the car off at 6:30 and headed back to the ship.

Wow, ty for all the info..much appreciated

I don't think there are guides "to hire".

But staff - mostly ex-servicemen - are very knowledgeable & approachable, and in some places eg Pegasus Bridge museum, they'll organise a little ad-hoc guided tour for those who are there at the time.

Plenty of signage & descriptions, most in French & English, and of course plenty of books & booklets.

So if you DIY without a guide you'll be fine. That's what most folk do.

TY again!! Need to convince the wife,lol I guess if their is a car rental place right by the ship, makes it very convenient

Thanks for the detailed reply lamchops, looks like DIY with a rental car should work for us. We want to go to Bayeux and Omaha/US Sector, with a short stop at Honfleur, am going to email rentacar for a quote.

TY again!! Need to convince the wife,lol I guess if their is a car rental place right by the ship, makes it very convenient

No personal experience of renting in Le Havre - I used to drive coach tours to Normandy, & private visits to Normandy are always in my own car.

But apparently there's a rental depot by the ship - more expensive than those in town but probably worth the time-saving.

Check your ship's departure time, usually it's mid-evening from Le Havre to allow for tours to Paris. Your latest back-on-board time is likely to bee 30 minutes before sailing time. Then compare it to latest time you can return a rental car - that might affect where you rent from.

car rental info: email info le_havre@rentacar.fr

our office is located in the welcome cruise center (25m from ships call

place).

We can provide on the pier for 0800AM

Class A economic car 5 seats 5 doors 90 euros

Class B city car 5 seats 5 doors 105 euros

Class C comfort car 5seats 5 doors 120 euros (automatic if available)

Class D Family car 7 seats 5 doors 180 euros

Class F van car 9 seats 4 doors 190 euros

Landing beaches are about 150km from Le Havre and you will find Honfleur

on this way.

One day is quite enough to visit those places

Those prices are all inclusive except gas with unlimited mileage for one

day.

You get the car near your ship s call place after 0800am

and you ll have to drop it off at the same place before 0800pm.

For two day those prices are to be increased 150%

The car can be parked in front ship s area for the night

if you like booking please send me following information:

-complete address

-all drivers license details as N°, dob, place of birth, date of issue.

when you ll pick up the car you ll have to supply

-your passport

-your driver license

-your credit card (AMEX is refused)

It all looks OK to me, TY. :)

As long as you're happy with a shift-stick.

Location, and pick up / return times are ideal.

90 euros is a little steep, but the value of the euro is low, which helps close the gap.

My English licence is OK for renting cars in Europe, I'm guessing that yours is in Spanish & should be OK too.

Do check their small-print for CDW insurance costs and excess.

They say that the landing beaches are 150k from Le Havre. That's to the American beach of Omaha, the British & Commonwealth beaches are closer.

But they say one day is enough to visit all the places.

One week isn't enough !!!

But you'll see plenty.

Give yourselves plenty of time for delays getting back to the ship. If you don't eat too deeply into that time, you can call in at the pretty little fishing harbour of Honfleur for a beer or a coffee on the waterfront. From there it's just 30 minutes back to the ship.

It all looks OK to me, TY. :)

As long as you're happy with a shift-stick.

Location, and pick up / return times are ideal.

90 euros is a little steep, but the value of the euro is low, which helps close the gap.

My English licence is OK for renting cars in Europe, I'm guessing that yours is in Spanish & should be OK too.

Do check their small-print for CDW insurance costs and excess.

They say that the landing beaches are 150k from Le Havre. That's to the American beach of Omaha, the British & Commonwealth beaches are closer.

But they say one day is enough to visit all the places.

One week isn't enough !!!

But you'll see plenty.

Give yourselves plenty of time for delays getting back to the ship. If you don't eat too deeply into that time, you can call in at the pretty little fishing harbour of Honfleur for a beer or a coffee on the waterfront. From there it's just 30 minutes back to the ship.

I'm actually a Canadian! (And have my USA Citizenship) and a Florida drivers license!

I can drive a stick, thats not an issue...

I served 15 yrs in the Canadian Armed Forces, thus my interest in the Cdn/British sectors!

I asked about an English GPS....can always bring ours and find a map for the area online!

TY for the info

Lets further discuss the rental car options. Rent-a-car France is certainly the most convenient (right near the pier) but they are also the most expensive. Several other rental car offices are located in town about a 25-35 min walk from the pier. Most of the time we can get a car from one of the agencies outside the port for 30-50 Euros cheaper then from the single agency in the port. So if you do not mind taking a long walk and think its worth saving up to 50 Euros then enjoy the stroll. One other issue with Rent-a-Car France are their insurance options (assuming they have made no changes in the past 2 years) which are lacking when compared to most other rental car agencies.

Hank

I have rented from Europecar (in town) in 2012 and Rentacar this past September 2014. It is indeed cheaper to rent from Europecar but you'll have to deal with DW asking "how much farther" or taking a cab back if it's dark out when you return.

Time is money and I don't want to use up a hour (8-10%) of my shore time to save a couple of more bucks. (my DW always runs late so it adds to my stress)

I look at it as having some freedom and saving a couple of hundred dollars versus the ship's excursion and not losing an extra few dollars on the rental.

I have rented from Europecar (in town) in 2012 and Rentacar this past September 2014. It is indeed cheaper to rent from Europecar but you'll have to deal with DW asking "how much farther" or taking a cab back if it's dark out when you return.

Time is money and I don't want to use up a hour (8-10%) of my shore time to save a couple of more bucks. (my DW always runs late so it adds to my stress)

I look at it as having some freedom and saving a couple of hundred dollars versus the ship's excursion and not losing an extra few dollars on the rental.

Yes that is the way I see it too..I will fork over the extra $$ for convenience!

And I don't go on tours to hang with a busload of people,lol

Set up 3 private tours on our Med cruise and joined others, worked out soo well. Was a much more organized Roll Call though. 1 guy had set up a personal web page,and even a FB page! Was a well oiled machine,lol

A huge thanks....we reserved a car and will go to the Canadian sectors on our own! I probably could have gotten a tour together to see the Band of Brothers area, but being a Canadian, and an ex-Canadian soldier it means more to see the Canadian sectors. Thank you