West Bay Beach cabs waiting?

indolent

Is there a taxi stand or are there cabs generally waiting somewhere near West Bay ready to pick people up. I've seen people mention that you should negotiate a return time with the cab driver that gives you a ride there, but I'd rather play it by ear and decide later in the day when to return if possible.

I've searched the forum a bit and found conflicting statements regarding my question. Can anyone confirm either way?

Is there a taxi stand or are there cabs generally waiting somewhere near West Bay ready to pick people up. I've seen people mention that you should negotiate a return time with the cab driver that gives you a ride there, but I'd rather play it by ear and decide later in the day when to return if possible.

I've searched the forum a bit and found conflicting statements regarding my question. Can anyone confirm either way?

The conflicting reports could be because no one knows if the cabs hanging about are waiting for people they dropped off. My guess is they are spoken for.

If you want more flexibility plan to take the water taxi in to the village of West End. At the "triangle" there are always cabs hanging about.

Understand, cab prices are not regulated, it maybe they will take advantage knowing you want to go back to the ship, this is much of the reason people suggest round trip fare.

Indolent,

I was wondering the same thing about the cabs. We probably will be doing the eco walk with the beach. They only give you about 1 1/2 hours on the beach and let you know that if you want to stay longer that you have to find your own way back. Anyone know about how far back to the ship and what people have paid previously?

Thanks everyone

Laura

The conflicting reports could be because no one knows if the cabs hanging about are waiting for people they dropped off. My guess is they are spoken for.

If you want more flexibility plan to take the water taxi in to the village of West End. At the "triangle" there are always cabs hanging about.

Understand, cab prices are not regulated, it maybe they will take advantage knowing you want to go back to the ship, this is much of the reason people suggest round trip fare.

Thanks for the reply. This site (http://www.roatanisland.net/taxi_rates_2014.htm) indicates fares are regulated. Is that not strictly the case?

Thanks for the reply. This site (http://www.roatanisland.net/taxi_rates_2014.htm) indicates fares are regulated. Is that not strictly the case?

My experience has been no regulation..but then again I believe taxi the world over to be extortionist. :0)

Understand in third world countries, things shift and change so fast few know the current rules, I doubt anyone is going to bother over site on the taxi. They have far larger things to worry about. Add the mass corruption in the gov and it is every man for himself.

By the by ~ I have driven both scooter and cars down on the island, if there are any road rules, no one bothers with them and who would enforce them?

I did have a delightful experience with a taxi today, I was told by a local the price would be 12000 Colombian. The guy only asked for 10000. Granted it was only a single dollar difference but still. I was happy gal. Maybe taxi are not extortionist the world over. :0)

Edited by Guest 2000