Boat rental

maggie1968

Our family rented two boats from Somerset Watersports in Somerset Village three years ago. We had a great time. The owners gave us a map of the area and away we went. We stopped a couple of beaches and did some swimming. Somerset Village is just a short bus ride from the Dockyard so you are not wasting precious time riding to the other end of the island. Bermuda is beautiful no matter where you travel on the island. There was also a ship wreak that we went to and fed the fish. It was a fun four hours. If you choose Someset and ride the bus out to Somerset Village, have the bus driver leave you off on the far side of the miniature draw bridge. There is a bus stop there and sidewalks to get you back over the bridge to the location to pick up your boat. If you get off the bus before going over the bridge, there are no sidewalks and walking in the road is very dangerous in Bermuda.

Would there be enough time, if rented from Somerset, to swing by by Sea Glass beach, around the dockyard and back, in a 3-hour rental? I'm also looking at H20, since they seem to be a bit closer to the dockyard (although google maps only shows about a 2 mile distance).

Also, when they say "no experience necessary" is that really true? We'd be 3 girls with absolutely no boating experience. I'm assuming they give you a rundown before hand, like what to do if you want to stop and get out for a swim?

Would there be enough time, if rented from Somerset, to swing by by Sea Glass beach, around the dockyard and back, in a 3-hour rental? I'm also looking at H20, since they seem to be a bit closer to the dockyard (although google maps only shows about a 2 mile distance).

Also, when they say "no experience necessary" is that really true? We'd be 3 girls with absolutely no boating experience. I'm assuming they give you a rundown before hand, like what to do if you want to stop and get out for a swim?

As far as operating the boat, it is really pretty easy. Both of the boats that we rented had a key start and a steering wheel like a car so it was pretty much like driving a car on the water. The "gas peddle" was a handle on the side of the boat that slid forward to go faster and back to slow down. The guys at the rental place will give you a quick run through for safety and operations. They also gave us a map of the area so we knew where we were going.

As far as how far you could travel in your three hour rental, the guys at the boat rental business should be able to answer that question for you. It would, of course, depend on how fast you travel and how long you stop to swim at the beaches. Getting all the way to the Dockyard and back in three hours might not be possible. We rented our boats for four hours and were able to stop at two beaches, the sunken ship to feed the fish, and travel around to the other side of Somerset and return under the Smallest Drawbridge in the World in Somerset Village. The time goes by really fast when you are having a good time.

The Sea Glass beach near the Dockyard is not as accessible as it use to be. There are signs there now that say it is privately owned and no Sea Glass is to be taken off the beach. There is a Sea Glass beach near St. George if you are planning on visiting that end of Bermuda that is still open to the public.

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a whaler from H2O a few years ago (4 hour) and it was great. None of us had any previous boat driving experience and it was no problem. There are restrictions on where you can go - head out in the ocean then south and then under the drawbridge and back around in the bay. You can't go north to the dockyard area. Not sure if somerset is the same but probably-I think they are located pretty near each other. Heading back to Bermuda this summer and deciding if we are going to do it again. It was a great way to spend the day and so close to the pier.

We are 4 girls doing the same thing. I just rented fro H20, they have a $70 off special going on right now for a 5 hour rental. I liked that they are only a 10 min taxi ride from Kings Wharf.

I was wondering, from past people that have rented small motorboats, is ocean choppiness ever a problem, I guess that's my only fear. We own a boat, so operating it isn't a problem. I just worry that we might run into rough waters.

Thanks for any pointers.

Jodi

• 2 months later...

The Boat Rental Company that you get your boat from will tell you where you are allowed to go and about how long it will take you to go different places. You will want to stay on the more protected side of the island to avoid the rough ocean waters. The Boat Company gives you a map and points out different places that you might like to check out. They don't want anything to happen to you or their boats so they do a pretty good job of telling you about the region.

The Boat Rental Company that you get your boat from will tell you where you are allowed to go and about how long it will take you to go different places. You will want to stay on the more protected side of the island to avoid the rough ocean waters. The Boat Company gives you a map and points out different places that you might like to check out. They don't want anything to happen to you or their boats so they do a pretty good job of telling you about the region.

Thank Flowers,

I was just hoping for an idea to determine if the locations covered would be a good option for us.

One of my main questions is which beaches could we visit while using the boat?

There are several small beaches along the shoreline. The Boat Owners will point them out to you. I don't think you will be able to get to any of the South Shore Beaches by boat. We enjoyed one area that had many other boaters using it and then found a deserted beach that only had about three Bermuda Citizens using it but it was not anything like Horseshoe Bay Beach, for sure.

We rented jet skis from Somerset and a Boston Whaler from H2O and both are excellent outfits, we really liked H2O. As flwers noted you will get a briefing from the operator, we enjoyed the private islands in Mangrove Bay, and you will see bridges on the map where you can cross from the ocean into Great Sound. You can hit Sea Glass Beach, and even buzz the ships at the dockyard if you want.

Great day on the boat, and very easy to operate. Just place your bags in the front as you can get some water in the back if you go slow.