Festivale ? anyone remember this ship..late 1980's

I am trying to find a picture or information on this ship. I think it is a Carnival ship but not real sure. My In Laws were on this ship in the late 1980's and they would like show the grandkids...the difference between then and now in Ships. Any help would be appreciated.

:) THANK YOU so much ! I was sure this would be left as an unanswered post. Special thanks to Cuted126 for the link ! I wonder how many passengers the FESTIVALE Ship allowed, compared to today's numbers? Just curious to what changes over the years..

Yes! In 1987, the Festivale was my very first cruise ship, and I was awestruck! My two sisters and I flew from N.O. to San Juan and boarded the ship, and had two half days to explore San Juan before and after the cruise. One of the best vacations I've even taken.

I have plenty of photos, but have no clue as to how to post them here...sorry.

It's amazing the differences there are in the ships from those years and now. So many fun things that aren't even done anymore. My memories of that cruise are wonderful.:)

Thank you Cuted 126....seeing those pictures sure made me smile and remember....
:) THANK YOU so much ! I was sure this would be left as an unanswered post. Special thanks to Cuted126 for the link ! I wonder how many passengers the FESTIVALE Ship allowed, compared to today's numbers? Just curious to what changes over the years..

Glad to make you guys smile!!

cotton writes- It's amazing the differences there are in the ships from those years and now. So many fun things that aren't even done anymore.

I would love to hear what the differences were between the cruise in 1987 Festivale, and todays Ships / service, etc...

Ah, the differences: we have been on twenty cruises, many different lines and all so different. Back in '84 on the Festivale the corridors were so narrow only one person could pass and as I recall there was only one disco where they gave out New Year's hats and horns almost every night. They had skeet shooting off the back of the ship and my dh got a trophy for it. Carnival's come a long way, baby. Didn't sail Carnival again until 2005... Valor, then Legend, then Liberty and Miracle in May.

I am trying to find a picture or information on this ship. I think it is a Carnival ship but not real sure. My In Laws were on this ship in the late 1980's and they would like show the grandkids...the difference between then and now in Ships. Any help would be appreciated.

I too have been on the Festivale (2 times, '78 & '83). Had a great time aboard the ship. I know I have pictures of the ship somewhere amongst all the other photos I've taken that have yet to make it into the album! If you still need some, send me an E-mail at LMatusow@ducommun.com and I'll respond when I return from my transatlantic cruise on the Splendour of the Seas which is next Monday so no time to look this weekend - flying out tomorrow!

Laurie

I was on the Festivale for my second cruise -- the first being the Mardi Gras. It brings back wonderful memories!!!

I think one of the things I remember was the difference in some of the contests they had back then. There was one contest where the guys would dress up in their wifes/girlfriends negligees. There was also one which had the guys behind a curtain with their legs showing from the knees down. The women would come up blindfolded(?) and feel their legs and determine which one was their husband/boyfriend. Both of these were hysterical. With the way things have to be politically correct today, I don't think they would ever do these again!

If I remember correctly, and someone can feel free to jump in here, the ship held 1,000 cruisers or less.

Loved that ship!!

The Festivale holds a special place in my heart. On July 6, 1980 (second night of the cruise) while on the bow looking out at the gorgious Caribbean night sky, my boyfriend proposed marrige. I accepted and we were married February 14, 1981 onboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA. We have been on many cruises since then, but nothing beats the cruising experience of those long ago days.

• 3 weeks later...

Festivale was my first cruise in 1994, I don't think it was in Carnival's fleet much after that. I wanted a land based all inclusive vacation and my friend insisted on a cruise. So cruise it was... and we had a blast. I went the following year with the family on Celebrity Horizon. Almost the same itinerary, but a much newer ship. Both cruises were great. I can't wait to take my kids on their first cruise this summer.

Just scanning the message boards this a.m., and saw your request. We were on the Festivale May 1980, just got back (May 2007) from almost the same itinerary on the Glory.

You've probably already got enough photos, but if not shout out and we will scan some.

The things I remember were the artfully arranged "gifts" on my bed each nite. There were twins that couldn't be moved together -- not fun. Anyhoo, the cabin steward would use one of my nighties and the photo that was taken before the formal dinner to create this arrangement. I have a photo of that! Now you get towel animals. I figure as another poster suggested about the changes in games played, that the PC police or someone didn't approve of cabin stewards going through the dresser to find the gown.

The passageways were extremely narrow compared to today. The rooms were smaller, there were no balcony rooms. There was one dining room and limited other dining options. I remember a grill near the pool that offered lunch, but think you had to eat the rest of your meals in the dining room. There was a midnight and 2:30 a.m. buffet.

The entertainment was much more professional this time out, but I have great memories of DH being pulled onto the stage all those years ago for a magic trick.

We revisited two ports and in Saint Maarten actually found the old courthouse still standing. I asked around and nothing else we had photographed still existed. Took photos again.

Thanks for the opportunity to share some memories.

:cool: :) my wife and i went on our first cruise in 1984 for our 25th anniversary aboard the festival. we will never forget it because it was fantastic. so much so that we went again in 89 and it was just as good. maybe it was small but you got to know a lot of people by name. we met a lot of very nice cruise mates and had kept in touch with some for a long time. we went to see every show,played every horse race,went on the kon tiki in st thomas, met the captain and my wife really cried on the last day when they sang "LOVE BOAT". yes the rooms were small but the only time we were there was to sleep.the food at the pool was just great and the midnight and 230am buffetts were awsome. we do have pictures of both FESTIVAL cruises from 84 & 89 if you would like to see some just e-mail me at butch1228@verizon.net and i will try to send you some..we went on 4 other carnival cruises but did not enjoy them as much..HOLIDAY,TRIUMPH,DESTINY back to back. went on DAWN princess out of SAN FRANCISCO and thought it was great. have now booked a cruise on DIAMOND princess for a 15 day round trip L.A. to HAWAII in 2008. this will be for our GOLDEN anniversary. enough for now..C U

butch/muriel:cool: :cool:

Yes, we sure remember the Festivale (Carnival). It was our first cruise, 1984. Sorry, we don't have any pictures. We had two portholes on that cruise and you had to kneel on the bed to see out, but it was awesome to us.

bluefintune....what month in 1984 were u on the FESTIVAL ????

We were on the Festivale in 1994 for our first cruise. Everything was spectacular in our eyes. The ports were exotic, the sparkling baked Alaskas the last night and the artfully arranged Midnight buffet. The had a hairy chest contest by the pool. Some things never change.

Our outside room had a queen sized bed and a tiny, perfect bathroom. Our cabin steward also got very "creative" with whatever he found.

• 8 years later...

Our first cruise was also on the Festivale around 1986. I believe we sailed out of Port Canaveral to the Bahamas. We had a tiny inside cabin with twin beds. Not the most comfortable; but it was cheap! Remember docking at Nassau and almost missing the boat because we misread the departure schedule. They had already pulled up the gangway and we had to enter through the entry where they loaded cargo:. Remember docking in San Juan and walking all the way down to El Moro to explore. Also, as we left port that night, there was a deck party with a DJ. He played Miami Sound Machine's "Conga" and the conga line stretched all the way around the ship! There was also the costume contest where you could make your own costume with supplies provided by the activities group. DH was a bottle of "Mumm" champagne and I was a cluster of green grapes (lots of green balloons). We actually made it to the finals!! Had a great time!!!

• 3 weeks later...

My first wife and I were on the Festivale in May of 1979. It was our honeymoon cruise. Back then they had free sodas, a midnight buffet every night. They played a horse racing game where the horses moved by the roll of the dice. The entertainment consisted of some female singer who wasn't very good. The cruise directer(s) was a husband and wife team who were so hung up on themselves. The price included r/t airfare from San Francisco to Miami plus a night in a hotel. This was before the booze cruise mentality that Carnival later adopted. There were no balcony cabins.

• 3 weeks later...