Haven on Jewel Class Vs Haven on Away Class

macanudo23

Hey everyone, Just a question to those who have sailed in the Haven on both the Jewel Class and Away class....I have only sailed on the large ships in Haven multiple times (Epic, Getaway, Escape) with the exception of the Dawn which I loved. I just booked the haven on the Jewel for Australia in January and wondering the experiences people have had sailing that Haven vs the large Away class with their own restaurants, lounge etc...Con's Pro's anything will help me :)

Hi

I have done both, The Jewels haven is much smaller, no restaurant or private bar like on the away ships,no huge sundeck. We usually book the forward facing penthouse on the jewel class ships because of the size of the balcony its HUGE. We are leaving this Saturday on the Jewel and booked 9502.

Im sure you will enjoy it just dont expect a haven like on the Breakaway

Enjoy!!!

We've done both. Not really a fan of the BA but am going on the Escape next year.

As said, Jewel class no bar or restaurant in there (for dinner - still have suite restaurant for B&L like Cagneys or Moderno).

Jewel class Haven VERY quiet. Pool is about 1/2 size of the already small BA Haven pool. There is a sundeck up one floor.

If you do a search "morningstar" did a recent review of Gem and has several pics of Gem's Haven.

Hi

I have done both, The Jewels haven is much smaller, no restaurant or private bar like on the away ships,no huge sundeck. We usually book the forward facing penthouse on the jewel class ships because of the size of the balcony its HUGE. We are leaving this Saturday on the Jewel and booked 9502.

Im sure you will enjoy it just dont expect a haven like on the Breakaway

Enjoy!!!

thank you! yeah I wish it was an away class doing Australia but I am not going to complain. It will be my first Jewel class ship and I always hear great things about the size and service. We just love the haven away from all the craziness of sea days on the sun deck

We have been in a 2 bedroom HAVEN on both the Jewel and the Escape. The staterooms are bigger on the Jewel, but the Haven courtyard area does not have the bar, restaurant, and concierge area. You have breakfast and lunch at one of the specialty restaurants (we were in Cagneys), so that is no big deal. Dinner is another matter, since there is not a private area for HAVEN guests. (Although I would suggest having dinner in your room at least once.....NCL does it right with tablecloth, etc.) If I recall correctly, the HAVEN courtyard area on the Jewel had a resistance pool, 2 hot tubs, a steam room/exercise small area, plenty of loungers (some with overhead cover), the retractable cover in case the weather is uncooperative, but it had a fairly large sundeck on top that was exclusive to HAVEN patrons (which was a great place to view sights from the ship). It used to be that the concierge would come by your table at breakfast/lunch to see if there was anything they could do for you, but I think that has all changed and they are set up at a stand outside the dining area (last cruise between Cagneys and Modernos) for most of the morning. Jewel did have phones you could use around ship to contact concierge/butler or others in your party, but not sure if that is still available (I'm on her again July 1st, so we'll see!)

I felt the courtyard area was similar in size on both ships....the Escape was only larger when you included the bar, restaurant, and concierge area. The sun deck was similarly sized, IMHO, but the Escape had a hot tub on top, too. (VIBE took up part of the top on Escape and it is closed off unless you paid for the pass.)

One thing I do remember thinking, but maybe I am remembering from the Star and Gem.....the Thermal Spa on the Escape has more elements and is open longer than the Jewel class ships. Escape's Thermal Spa is more costly, too, though.

I want to do an Australia/New Zealand cruise in the future, so looking forward to your review. I'm sure you will have a FABULOUS time!

• 5 weeks later...

We are doing Jewel in February- Australia to Hong Kong.

Haven cabin was only one available when we just booked so that is what we went with. It is a long cruise, 30 days, so this may be a really good option. Curious if it will be worth the extra cost ($$$$).