shopping tips-from St. Petersburg to Moscow

thuyronald

Hello,

I'll be on a river cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow and would like to get some shopping tips. We'll have limited shopping times during our included tours and would like to have some ideas of where to get souvenirs while on this trip.

1) Does anyone know if souvenir prices are cheaper in St. Petersburg than Moscow or vice versa? or at any of the villages in between St. Petersburg and Moscow -Mandrogi, Kizhi, Uglich, Yarsoslavl?

2) Where can I get last minute souvenir shopping places near Red Square?

3) I've heard there is a market near the Northern River Station port near the Reknoy Vokzal metro station? Does anyone know about this?

Thanks in advance

Twee

Twee - We haven't experienced the various villages between Moscow & St. P., as that is a river cruise we have planned for next year. However, I can offer a couple of observations about souvenirs in Moscow & St.P., based on previous visits to those two cities.

In St. P., the best place to get good souvenirs is the rather small arts & crafts market across the street from the Church of the Spilled Blood.

In Moscow, without question the best place for souvenirs of all qualities, from fun & cheap to very well made & expensive, is Izmailovsky Market. It is not in the central part of the city at all, but rather is in a suburb. Fortunately, it's easily reachable by the Metro. On week-ends, when all of the stands are open, the selection is quite large and the visit is a real adventure. During the week, many of the stands are closed; but it might still be worth a visit. To find out more about Izmailovsky Market, simply google it. There is good info about it on TripAdvisor and other travel sites. I love the place - I've purchased both cheap Matryoshka dolls there as well as very good quality lacquer boxes, both at a fraction of the price of the same quality of items in the main tourist centers and hotels in Moscow.

If it doesn't work out for your schedule to make the trek out to Izmailovsky, you might want to try Arbat Street, where there are loads of cafes and souvenir shops. Arbat is quite near almost everything in central Moscow.

Cheers, Fred

Hi Freddie,

I've been to the market near Church of Spilled Blood in St Petersburg in 2005. That was the only place that we managed to souvenir shop while there. I don't really have a clue as to how much things should cost, especially the Matryoshka dolls.

I'm not sure if I will have time to go to the Izmailovsky Market in Moscow. We have very limited time there.

Thanks for your help.

Twee

there are two places on the river for great shopping---Uglich and Madrogney (sp. on both). U has a gauntlet type market up from the boat--nice handcrafted and cheaper than the ship. M. has the ultimate in handicrafts--buy from the crafter..found some beautiful metallic embroidered jewelry. Yaroslav has the fine lacquered boxes and also the same in jewelry. These are heirloom pieces which if bought should be handcarried home. Didn't do any shopping at either end. Pat

I got the best bargains in Svirstroy. There is a factory outlet there for the little egg charms that open. Their prices and quality was the best.

There is an open air market (flea market) in Yaroslavl and the prices and selections were good.

I'd be very careful when buying expensive items like jewelry. It's impossible for most of us to be able to tell the difference between true amber and polymers. There are no such things as inexpensive genuine lacquer boxes. They take a long time to make and are very costly because of it.

In St. Petersburg, I thought the museum shop at Catherine's Palace was the best. No bargains, but nice things and fairly priced.

Thank you Pat & Janet for your info.

I'll look at the museum shop at Catherine's palace and see what they have.

I'm not looking for any heirloom pieces just basic souvenir items for gifts.

If I don't find anything before Uglich or Yaroslavl, I'm going to get what I can at the markets there.

Twee

The Russian stacking doll sets vary greatly in both quality and price.

For inexpensive sets we've found street vendors near the St Petersburg boat rides have the perfect junk gift.-3-4 for $10.00. The market by the church on the Spilled Blood in ST Pete's have a wonderful selection in many price ranges

I found a set of stacking New York Yankee dolls for my DH in a shop in Svirstroy. He is absolutely delighted with them. They were my only purchase that made him smile.

I did not intend to buy any of those dolls as they sell them all over the US and don't seem to be so special any longer. If I had the room in my luggage, I would have considered one of the large ones that hide a bottle of Vodka. That would have made an impression in my home bar!

I did find little, single painted dolls on key chains in Svirstroy that are adorable and were very inexpensive. They made cute souvenir gifts to the gals who do my hair and nails.

I have two sets of dolls that I bought when we did the Baltics cruise. However, I can't remember how much i got them for. I'm hoping to find some unique ones for myself and some basic ones for gifts.

Twee

Archived