Just booked my first solo on Epic July 2015

kristinedaae

I'm embarking out of Barcelona and while I'm excited about this trip, I'm also a bit nervous. Do I want to get to Barcelona a few days early? Do I want to get a hotel near port? Any suggestions on what I should and should not do in the planning stages (I have a year...thank God!)? I would appreciate any and all thoughts. :) Looking forward to meeting others who solo or just like meeting new people. :)

Hi Kristine,

I'm booked on the Epic for Christmas (my first solo cruise), but I have traveled alone many times. I actually like the feeling of being able to do what I want, when I want while on vacation. Anyway I definately think you should stay in Barcelona a few days before you cruise. I have gone on 3 cruises in Europe and always enjoy the city from where the ship departing from. I would recommend doing it before rather than after the cruise. I'm always ready to head home after the cruise. Plus if you arrive in Barcelona early, there is no chance of missing your cruise due to crazy airline nonsense. I stayed in Athens prior to a cruise that ended in Barcelona, and I regret that I didn't get to spend ANY time in Barcelona. Spain is definately on my wish list. I also would feel a bit nervous about the legistics (a hotel in a safe area, getting to the ship ect.). you may want ask which hotels the NCL uses for people who do one night prior the cruise and get the transfer to the ship. then maybe you could stay there and get the NCL transfer. But if it's not near nice sites, then I would maybe use tripadvisor to scope out a good hotel in a nice location. Then contact the hotel and ask about how to get to the ship (distance, taxi options ect.). I got a lot of help in Venice from the hotel owner as there are tons of people who do what you are doing all of the time. Barcelona is a major port for cruise ships. Tripadvisor is also good for things to do, restaurants ect. I believe they also have a forum area that could give you some advice. I am definately jealous but I will get there again someday. I'm not sure of your ports, but I have done 3 cuises in Europe in the past 3 years if you want any options, I may have been to some of the ports. Stacie

Hi all!

kristinedaae ~ you've made a great choice!:D Epic is a fun ship, I've been on it 3 times, twice from Barcelona & once in the Caribbean in studio cabins.

I went to Barcelona one day early but then I've been there before so if you haven't maybe go 2 or 3 days. It's an amazing city! Look up Gaudi, his buildings are amazing.

I stayed at Hotel Continental Barcelona which is quirky but loved by people who aren't interested in luxury, more in location & food availability. It's right on the Ramblas near Placa Catalunya to which I took the airport bus cheap & easily. You can easily go on the HOHO bus to see the sights from there.

I am hoping to go solo on Epic again when it goes to the Canary Islands & Morocco.

You're sure to have a great time. Will you be in a studio cabin? Don't miss the get together the 1st night to meet other solos.

~ Jo ~:)

I'm embarking out of Barcelona and while I'm excited about this trip, I'm also a bit nervous. Do I want to get to Barcelona a few days early? Do I want to get a hotel near port? Any suggestions on what I should and should not do in the planning stages (I have a year...thank God!)? I would appreciate any and all thoughts. :) Looking forward to meeting others who solo or just like meeting new people. :)

The city of Barcelona is really close to the port so you don't need to worry about getting to the ship from whichever hotel you chose. You can just jump in a taxi on the street or ask the hotel to call you one (which even on your own, with luggage) should cost max. E20.

The Epic is a great ship, I've sailed on her solo twice now and will very likely do so again. There are links to my reviews in my signature if you are interested.

The city of Barcelona is really close to the port so you don't need to worry about getting to the ship from whichever hotel you chose. You can just jump in a taxi on the street or ask the hotel to call you one (which even on your own, with luggage) should cost max. E20.

The Epic is a great ship, I've sailed on her solo twice now and will very likely do so again. There are links to my reviews in my signature if you are interested.

I am thinking of going back one day to Spain and reading about Epic sounds like a fun ship to be solo on...been on the Azamara Journey for the first time by myself and love cruising the Mediterranean I guess more and more people now cruises alone. Thanks for your review...

Stacie...I will most definitely ask questions. :) I've been looking at hotels in Barcelona and think I've found one but I need to look up more reviews. I love to research but need a place to start so any info you have on the Port Vell area would be lovely. :)

Hi all!

kristinedaae ~ you've made a great choice!:D Epic is a fun ship, I've been on it 3 times, twice from Barcelona & once in the Caribbean in studio cabins.

I went to Barcelona one day early but then I've been there before so if you haven't maybe go 2 or 3 days. It's an amazing city! Look up Gaudi, his buildings are amazing.

I stayed at Hotel Continental Barcelona which is quirky but loved by people who aren't interested in luxury, more in location & food availability. It's right on the Ramblas near Placa Catalunya to which I took the airport bus cheap & easily. You can easily go on the HOHO bus to see the sights from there.

I am hoping to go solo on Epic again when it goes to the Canary Islands & Morocco.

You're sure to have a great time. Will you be in a studio cabin? Don't miss the get together the 1st night to meet other solos.

~ Jo ~:)

I was very worried about meeting people and I was going to be "alone" the whole trip. I'm seeing that will not be the case unless it's by choice. I'm in one of the studio cabins and even if I could afford a suite I don't think I would take one. The studio's look too cool and fun. I may have to bend your ear or email for more ideas on what to do when I get to Barcelona or when I'm on the ship. :)

Lara...I've read through all of your reviews in the last 24 hours (even while I was at work...shhhh...don't tell Bossman) and your adventures have put me more at ease. I booked this without even thinking about it. I've had a rough couple of years with my ex husband's dad passing away last year and then my dad passed away March 7 of this year. I know my cruise isn't until July 2015 but just having something to look forward to breathes a little life back into my world. Knowing people are willing to answer my questions and help me out is fabulous and I have a feeling I'm going to make some wonderful friendships. :)

Lara...I've read through all of your reviews in the last 24 hours (even while I was at work...shhhh...don't tell Bossman) and your adventures have put me more at ease. I booked this without even thinking about it. I've had a rough couple of years with my ex husband's dad passing away last year and then my dad passed away March 7 of this year. I know my cruise isn't until July 2015 but just having something to look forward to breathes a little life back into my world. Knowing people are willing to answer my questions and help me out is fabulous and I have a feeling I'm going to make some wonderful friendships. :)

That's great to hear, I'm so glad you are feeling a bit better about it all. Planning a cruise is all part of the fun for me, and like you said, it gives you something positive to focus on and look forward to. I really believe that you make your own destiny - life is too short to sit about waiting for things to happen so get out there and enjoy yourself! :D

That's great to hear, I'm so glad you are feeling a bit better about it all. Planning a cruise is all part of the fun for me, and like you said, it gives you something positive to focus on and look forward to. I really believe that you make your own destiny - life is too short to sit about waiting for things to happen so get out there and enjoy yourself! :D

That is exactly what I have been telling my friends! I'm tired of waiting for people to want to travel with me. Life is definitely too short so there is no way I'm going to let others determine when I travel. Love my friends but I love to travel and I want to see everything I can before my expiration date shows up. :)

Hi Kristinedaae,

Congrats on booking your Epic solo adventure. I am doing this cruise this year out of Barcelona (27th July) and I cant wait. I will be posting a review when I get back so you should definitely keep your eyes posted in Aug this year.

I have to thank lara_lox...... without her reviews I might not even have considered Epic.

I totally understand where you are, this time last I was planning my first solo cruise and now I'm mid-way through planning my second! I love the freedom to explore and decide what I want to do and not what others have to do.

As for planning - research your ports. What might you like to do? NCL excursions, explore the port or just stay on-board and enjoy the amenities.

Find out about the ship. Is there anything you think you have to do? Cirque?Speciality restaurants? White Hot Party? Martini Tastings? Epic plunge? Spa?etc etc.....

My 4 best friends in the planning stage are NCLs website, Cruise Critic, Google Maps (street view :) ) and Youtube - there is a really good studio room tour by Duskbatrabbit you should definately check out!

Enjoy your planning, and feel free to ask as many questions as you want. :D

Sparkles...I never ever thought of using street view! Great idea!!! Yeah...lara helped me out a lot with her reviews. NCL needs to compensate her somehow such as a free cruise maybe? :) I will most definitely watch out for your review and any little tidbits you would like to throw my way...send them along. I'm going to need a notebook with all of the ideas and thoughts. Such as...I'm not too sure I want to go into Rome. I'm really not in to fighting huge crowds. Considering taking RiL and going into the countryside instead. Same with Florence. I want to go to the outlet mall just outside of Florence. Naples won't be seen by me though. I want to go to Positano and the Amalfi coastline. :) I need magazines with pictures of all these places and make an old school "scrapbook" before I go so I can sit at night taking notes and dream until July 2015. :)

Hi Kristine,

I was just reading your latest post and I have been to the ports you mentioned. If you want any advice or ideas about those ports in Italy (I'm not sure what other stops you have), you can email me and I'll tell you what we did (sdaley@queensburyschool.org). I definately would not miss Florence. I've been twice in 3 years and would go again in a heartbeat. And the Amalfi coast is lovely. Rome is a long ride from the port, but I would go for sure. Don't bother to see Pisa- such a disappointment. Have fun planning- you have plenty of time to research. You may also find good info on tripadvisor.

Hi kristinedaae,

I have been to Barcelona several times as a solo and it is wonderful. There is a Hop on Hop Off Bus which is about $25 for all day. You can ride the 3 different routes with headphones to tell you what you are looking at and there are stops at all the places so you just get off when you are in the mood.

Be sure and try Barcelona Hot Chocolate and the "small Plates". Remember that things are slower during the day and folks don"t eat dinner until about 10 PM.

I hope you enjoy yourself.

Hey! I just got off the Epic for my first ever solo cruise. I loved it! I was originally in a Studio, but the prices kept dropping so much that I was able to upgrade to a balcony for free!

My best advice - check out your Roll Call and be active on it! I met tons of people through that and had the best time because of it. Some of us are even talking about cruising together again! Also, if you do upgrade out of the Studios, know that you can still join in the Solo gatherings in the Studio Lounge (they were at 5:00 on my sailing).

If you can, say hi to Evelyn and Elliot in the Spice bar for me! Also, Lorelei (sp?) at Shakers. Wow - can you tell I got to know the bar staff a little too well? :p

Best of luck - you'll love it!

I will be sailing on my first ever solo cruise on the Epic. I will be sailing the Western Med on Aug. 13 out of Rome. I've never been to Europe and I was really sick of waiting for people to WANT to travel with me or to be ABLE to travel with me. So I said SCREW IT! I'm going alone!

I just got off the Disney Dream last weekend. Traveled with my parents and my sister and I'm so glad I did this....there were disagreements as to who wanted to do what and when. Mom's tired, but Dad's not. Sister wants to party all night and I'd like to call it a night around midnight. This one wants to lay on the beach and I want to explore. UGH! I am happy to go do EXACTLY what I want to do and not have to consult with other people. Instead of being nervous, I am now stoked to be traveling alone.

I think it is one of the best 3 ships to do solo (along with Breakaway and Getaway). I might be a little(or very) biased but I think NCL treats solos really well.

I did the studio on the Epic and upgraded last minute from the studios to a balcony on the Breakaway. As of now, I have a studio for the fall on the Breakaway.

My #1 recommendation would be to not to reserve the early shows as you might be eating with other people then. #2- would be to do the Cirque show but later later in the week.

I was thinking maybe of catching it in Europe one of these years as I have never been there. So why I can't give recommendations on Europe as I have not been there I can make some recommendations on the ship itself.