Freeport!

La Princesa

Gorgeous beaches in Freeport. Going there next week and can't wait.

Does anyone know if they still have a public beach near Port Lucaya Marketplace?

We went there way back in 2011 and used the free beach for an hour before walking over to Port Lucaya Marketplace.

Planning to do the same this coming December if the weather is not very good for swimming.

If the weather is good, Grand Lucayan Resort seems pretty nice. Day pass is $15. I have read that it is $7 for kids.

• 2 weeks later...
paradise cove / deadman's reef: http://www.deadmansreef.com/

nice private beach with great snorkeling you can swim to from the beach.

I could not agree more. It is my all time favorite snorkeling spot! The beach is gorgeous and very shallow for a long way out so great for younger kids and the snorkeling is to die for. Will be there in Dec and cant wait!

• 2 weeks later...

I understand there will be "solicitors" at the beach, but my question was, do we have to "pay" to use it?

Also, has anyone ever used a "native" of Freeport to show you around? I do that quite often at some of the island/ports.

Public beach is free. The beach access (pathway) is next to the Police Station. it's on the same stretch of beach as the Grand Lucayan. Solicitors will try to braid your hair, sell you jewelry, etc. etc. Up to you whether you take advantage. If you say "No" they will move on down the line!

• 4 weeks later...
Public beach is free. The beach access (pathway) is next to the Police Station. it's on the same stretch of beach as the Grand Lucayan. Solicitors will try to braid your hair, sell you jewelry, etc. etc. Up to you whether you take advantage. If you say "No" they will move on down the line!

Not sure if things have changed, but while there this past Feb 2014, the free beach has been washed away. The water comes all the way up to Billy Joe's, we had plan to do this and was shocked when we got there. The beach in front of The Lucayan was fine though.

I hope things have change as we will be going back this Jan 2015 and I love the side that was free and close to Billy Joe's, I love his rum punch and we enjoyed the water rides as well.

We did just get back from Freeport within these past two weeks. You are correct on your directions to the beach. There wasn't too much to do/see, and it was a little chilly with the wind. We stayed a couple hours and then left. The sun would come out once in a while, and then leave. We did get some nice pictures. We only had one lady come by and ask if we wanted to buy bracelets, and we said no. She never as well as anyone else ever bothered us while we were there.

This is a P.S. I failed to mention, if you don't already know, everything you buy in Freeport, even from the vendors are "tax free." You don't have to, but if you want to bargain a little with the vendors, they are used to that, and sometimes they will come down. I got some nice items from some of the vendors.