Boston Accommodation

Yellowsmartcar

Hi

We are sailing on Brilliance from Boston 19 Oct 2014.

Accommodation is really expensive in the city has anyone used airbnb in any location to give me some insight.

We need 1 night before and 3 nights after the cruise before going to New York.

Thanks

V:)

This is discussed frequently on the East Coast Departures board.

With that being said, the weekend you are leaving is Head of the Charles. Its a big rowing race. Yes, hotels are expensive, and they will be for that weekend. Find one and book it now.

Please provide the exact dates you need a room, number of people, and budget. I am assuming you are flying in - do you have sightseeing plans for the first day or are you just getting on the ship? How far from downtown Boston are you willing to stay?

Head of the Charles is a problem weekend as 1025cruise pointed out.

I'm not familiar with airbnb but it looks interesting.

Hi Carol

We should be arriving 18 Oct will be coming from not sure as we are having 10 days on Legend out of Quebec from 3 Oct get back on 13 Oct and have a roughly 5 days to get to Boston. Not sure what we are doing in between. (still in the research stages).

We will have 3 days in Boston after the cruise before heading to NY so hubby can run in NY marathon on 2 Nov then we will fly out sometime on 3 Nov back to Australia.

There will be the 2 of us, walking and public transport will be mode of transport.

Not planning on to much sightseeing on the 1st nights stay. Maybe just getting our bearings for when we return after our cruise

We like to be close to things, we are shoppers and like to see the sights.

Budget well I think If I can get anything under $200, I will be happy. So that's why I airbnb might be an option. so any advice would be great.

Dates are 18 Oct, 26,27 and 28 Oct 2014.

We were actually told about airbnb from Loyalty Ambassador on Radiance.

Thanks

It would be best if you cut and paste your last post, add a few details, and put in on the East Coast Departures board for a wider audience. How are you traveling to Boston from Quebec? car, bus, or plane?

$200 is going to be very tough for Oct 18 in the downtown Boston area. I would contact the John Jeffries House to see if they have any rooms. Since you are cruising, the Adams Best Western in Quincy might be good for one night since they offer port transportation. However, this hotel is south of Boston on the water and not in the city center.

The problem with airbnb is that many of the properties are not really in Boston or are in inconvenient parts of Boston. I did see one listing in the North End for your later dates. The North End is one of the oldest areas of the city - home to Paul Revere as well as many Italian restaurants. It is very walkable and would have good access to Faneuil Hall and the subway. Please do not book any location without getting opinions from CC or Trip Advisor.

Edited by 138east

Hi Carol

Thank you for your help

We are looking at airbnb at Brookline Avenue, Boston, Opposite Fenway Park.

Also have sent inquirys at Charter St, Boston and Beach St, Boston and waiting for reply.

Also John Jefferies house looks good as well just waiting to hear back, is it easy to get around these places in Boston and any other info will be great.

Thanks

Any of these would be good locations. IMO Brookline Ave is a bit out of the way.

Charter St is in the north End - maybe a little walking, but definitely a good location with access to the T at North Station, Haymarket, or Aquarium. The North End is "little Italy" and is safe as a result.

Beach St is fine as well. Could be either in Chinatown or the Leather District. Good access to the T at South Station or Chinatown or Tufts. I worked at South Station for years and would feel comfortable with an apartment in that area. This would be the most central location. Interesting but not glamorous.

Those addresses are pretty much as described above. However, I don't consider the Brookline Ave place so out of the way. It may be more of a student neighborhood though, being close to Boston University as well as Fenway.

Beach Street might be a little gritty still, and the area between it and the T and sights may appear a bit more intimidating in one direction, deserted in the other, at night.

I'd pick the North End place if John Jeffries doesn't work out.

• 1 month later...