Excursion help wanted

ish drakes

Hi, I am looking at doing a Canada/New England Cruise later this year in September either on Carnival or Royal Caribbean.

The Carnival cruise departs from NY and goes to Boston, MA; Portland, ME; Saint John, NB, Canada; Halifax, NS, Canada.

While the Royal cruise departs from Boston and goes to: Portland, Maine; Bar Harbor, Maine; Saint John, New Brunswick; Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I have cruised before but mainly in the Caribbean so I have no idea what these ports have to offer. What are the most popular things to do? Also, in the Caribbean we were able to book private tours after we had disembarked which worked out cheaper, is that the same in these ports?

Thank you.

Edited by ish drakes

While the Royal cruise departs from Boston and goes to: Portland, Maine; Bar Harbor, Maine; Saint John, New Brunswick; Halifax, Nova Scotia.

You can book on your own. We never book ships tours unless there is a chance of the tour being late. Ship will wait for their tours but not others.

We did same as the Royal itinerary.

Boston has a great walk. Forget the name of it. Does the common and historical places.

Portland Maine has the most photographic light house in the world. We did a bus tour but forget the name of the company. Booked after we got off the ship.

Bar Harbor we did Oli's trolley. Short walk into town. google it for directions. I think you can even book online in advance. Great views on this tour.

Not much in St John. There is a reversing falls which might be of interest to you. We just walked into town.

Halifax has the citadel. We walked but think there is a shuttle. Also nice harbor walk. Halifax is also where the titanic victims were buried.

DCP_9043.jpg.1444d234a44b73bad7324b9f92078190.jpg

2015410780_thelighthouse.jpg.2f49f8269a5882118e30d9d4b576596b.jpg

The difference in the cruises is that one stops in Boston while the other stops in Bar Harbor. Do you prefer a big city (Boston) or a small coastal town (Bar Harbor) next to a national park (Acadia)?

If you want to see historic sites associated with the American Revolution, then Boston is the choice. You can walk the Freedom Trail for free, which includes the Paul Revere House. The USS Constitution is docked nearby in Charlestown. A few miles outside the city are Lexington and Concord.

If you prefer ocean panoramas and walks/drives through coastal forests, then Bar Harbor/Acadia is the choice. Acadia is a beautiful place.

For more information about the Canada ports, check out the Canada Ports Of Call forum.

My vote would be for the RCI cruise, and plan a day or two in Boston pre or post cruise. That way you get everything but the NYC departure. September is probably a good time for Bar Harbor, while the colors will not have changed, at least the fog will be less of a risk. Been to Bar Harbor in October, and you couldn't see 15 feet at the top of Cadillac mountain. Fall weather in Maine is changeable, but generally unless you are trying to see the fall colors, September is better.

Check the New England port of call forum for ideas for Boston, Portland, and Bar Harbor. Wide variety of things to do, it depends on your interests. Check the Canadian ports forum for St. Johns and Halifax. I've been to them all, live in Portland, and love them all.

Any cruise that stops in Bar Harbor gets my vote. I would just say that it really all depends on if you would rather see Boston as a pre cruise city or NY?.

Whichever city you would life to spend some time in either pre or post cruise, should be the deciding factor. Both have a lot to offer.

Cheers

Len

Hi, I am looking at doing a Canada/New England Cruise later this year in September either on Carnival or Royal Caribbean.

The Carnival cruise departs from NY and goes to Boston, MA; Portland, ME; Saint John, NB, Canada; Halifax, NS, Canada. What are the most popular things to do?

Thank you.

On my day in Boston I walked the Freedom Trail and took the (free) tour of the USS Constitution (take photo ID). I have had some days I enjoyed as much but none more.

[YOUTUBE]yCNS6_9m1PY[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]2aY4iHGXajw[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]URwOd1uvp2I[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]eibtLcOqBJI[/YOUTUBE]

Some of the FT 'destinations' are merely 'walk by' sites but some could detain you if you are interested in the history. And of course you can do as much or as little as you wish. All the best, Tony

On my day in Boston I walked the Freedom Trail and took the (free) tour of the USS Constitution (take photo ID). I have had some days I enjoyed as much but none more.

Some of the FT 'destinations' are merely 'walk by' sites but some could detain you if you are interested in the history. And of course you can do as much or as little as you wish. All the best, Tony

Thank you