Anyone need any help with Belfast-Northern Ireland ?

coxswain

If anyone has any questions or needs any help feel free to ask i'll do my best to help !!!

Northern ireland is part of the UK and the British Pound is our currency, although some shops do accept Euro's.

The City centre is about 10min drive from the port !!

Places to visit - Belfast Castle - Stormont home to the Northern ireland Government - Belfast City Hall ( closed at the minute renovations ) grounds are still open. Belfast Murals - shopping - Belfast Shipyard where Titanic was built ( see the Nomandic the only White Star ship left - she was the Tender ship for the Titanic )

Day trips - the Giants Causeway/Antrim Coast - Strangford Lough/ Mount Stewart House, Gardens

Hope thats helps !!

jj......

Actually, I do have questions. We will be in Belfast on the May 17th sailing of the Century. We want to see Giant's Causeway. The ship price is $72.00 usd per adult for a 6 1/2 hour trip and there will be 6 of us. Are there less expensive day trips to do the same thing we can book ourselves? Are there taxis at the port? This is our first trip to Europe. Thanks

Lori

Actually, I do have questions. We will be in Belfast on the May 17th sailing of the Century. We want to see Giant's Causeway. The ship price is $72.00 usd per adult for a 6 1/2 hour trip and there will be 6 of us. Are there less expensive day trips to do the same thing we can book ourselves? Are there taxis at the port? This is our first trip to Europe. Thanks

Lori

Hi Lori!!!

JJ - I have the same question. We are on the same cruise as Lori. We are a group of four looking to enjoy the Giant's Causeway area for the day. Any suggestions on a private driver? Also any suggestions on things to see possibly in an order opposite the cruise ship organized tours to avoid some of the masses :) Any cannot miss local spots or attractions? We like to do some touristy things of course but we love also experiencing the local culture for a true feel of the area.

Thanks for the help!

That doesn't sound a bad price to me !!

"Are there less expensive day trips to do the same thing we can book ourselves?"

Do you mean to the Giants causeway ? if so you could get the train to Portrush and then a taxi to the Giants causeway ( in my view i'd go with the coach )

What about hiring a car for the day - i've done a quick check with Budget car hire 6 Passenger People Carrier Price includes all compulsory Insurances, Government Tax, Unlimited Mileage and 24hr Breakdown cover.

£69 you couldn't beat that !! pick up is from the City Airport 15mins by taxi from the port ( £10/15 )

As for things to see - Old Bushmills Whiskey Distillery

Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge

Limestone headland and former quarry, with coastal walks leading to Carrick-a-Rede. The swinging rope bridge which is put up each spring by Salmon fishermen.

Dunluce Castle

On the Portrush to Bushmills road, three miles east of Portrush, Dunluce is one of a series of fortifications built on rocky outcrops extending into the sea and is thought by many to be the most picturesque and romantic of Irish castles. A defended site from at least 500 A.D., the present Castle incorporates two of the original Norman towers dating from 1305. It was the power base of the North Coast for nearly 400 years and alternatively occupied by the warring Clans of Ulster, McQuillens, O'Neills, and McDonnells.

Mussenden Temple and Downhill Demesne

Set on a wild and rugged headline with views over Ireland's north coast. Downhill Demesne was designed and built in the late 18th century by the eccentric Earl Bishop. Demesne includes ruins, a mausoleum, beautiful gardens and walks and the renowned Mussenden Temple on the cliff edge.

Check this tourism link http://www.moyle-council.org/tourism/attractions/?id=12

Hope thats helps !!

Feel free to come back to me !!

jj....

thanks your information is so helpful. We are on the July 1st Grand Princess with a stop in Belfast. I am looking at the Black Cab tours to The Causeway, Atrium Coast etc. How is their reputation? It sounds like we should definitely

do the Causeway trip and then a quick trip to see the Walls and Falls Road. Our ship doesn't dock until 12 noon on Sunday the 6th so the trip to the coast is best I think Do you agree? It is so great to have someone local willing to help us have a great time in their country.

Elaine

Elaine i'm not a big fan of the Black Taxi's ( i think they overcharge )

If you get in at noon what time do you leave at ?

If its that night i'd leave the Antrim coast and just check out Belfast - if doing the murals make sure you visit both sides ( in the east of the city they have some of the Titanic )

Not to missed in my view is - Stormont home to the Northern ireland Government - Belfast City Hall - Belfast Shipyard where Titanic was built ( see the Nomandic the only White Star ship left - she was the Tender ship for the Titanic )

A tit-bit of info - Stormont was covered in black tar and cow manure so the German bombers couldn't see it during WW2- if you get a chance to see it, look at the top of the building it still has a slight dirty look to it.

Keep the questions coming lol

jj.....

I thought they were pricy also but the tour included some of the city as well as the coast we will be in port from 12 to 10pm so we have a few hours. Do you knowanyone else who does tours that you would recommend? We are 3 couples from Atlanta and have never been to Ireland or Scotland and want to see as much as possible. We are not much on the ship tours and big groups on buses. Thanks

What about hiring a car for the day - i've done a quick check with Budget car hire 6 Passenger People Carrier Price includes all compulsory Insurances, Government Tax, Unlimited Mileage and 24hr Breakdown cover. £69 you couldn't beat that !! pick up is from the City Airport 15mins by taxi from the port ( £10/15 )

We'll have a day in Belfast on the next Century trip after the May 17th cruise. What we'd really like to do is to see Mountstewart House and Castle Ward, and perhaps go to a few antique shops in Bangor and Greyabbey in the morning before these properties open at 1300. Hiring a car would be ideal if I wasn't a Yank who is scared witless of driving on the right, and who hasn't driven a gearshift car in 40 years. But given these realities, we're thinking about a car and driver. Any idea how much this might cost for a day, and where I might find one?

I thought they were pricy also but the tour included some of the city as well as the coast we will be in port from 12 to 10pm so we have a few hours. Do you knowanyone else who does tours that you would recommend? We are 3 couples from Atlanta and have never been to Ireland or Scotland and want to see as much as possible. We are not much on the ship tours and big groups on buses. Thanks

I'm nearly sure you could hire an automatic - my last 3 cars are auto. The drive to mount Stewart is easy enough and traffic is anything like major U.S cities - only really busy in the city centre in the morning and late afternoon.

I'm not sure where you'd get a driver ( one you could trust !! )

jj.....

I'm nearly sure you could hire an automatic - my last 3 cars are auto. The drive to mount Stewart is easy enough and traffic is anything like major U.S cities - only really busy in the city centre in the morning and late afternoon.

I'm not sure where you'd get a driver ( one you could trust !! )

jj.....

JJ Thanks for all the great information. We really appreciate it! Thanks for your time!

I have a question or 2 about minicoach. We are looking into using them for Cork and Belfast and they did reply quickly but I can't figure out how many people do they take in a coach? The price is certainly good about 30-40 dollars american per person compared to the ship tours. They do get great recommendations from other cc's on this board. We are not fans of large groups and have checked on a few other options for the 6 of us but they become pricey. Would appreciate your comments.

They had a couple of coaches at the port when we arrived. The smaller one was dedicated to a group of about 10 people whe were all travelling together. I'm not sure at all of how many people were on our bus - I can't imagine it was more than 20. It certainly did not feel crowded. I'm sure if you asked, she'd let you know.

• 1 month later...

We will be in Belfast Sunday July 27. Plan on using the Hop-on Hop-off bus to get around and see the city. I assume that I can get a pint of Guiness somewhere on Sunday? Can you recommend a reasonable place for the wife and I to have a pint and perhaps some grub?

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. You said the port is about a 10 minute ride by cab into center City. Is there also a shuttle bus that goes into Belfast? Or do most people share cabs? We plan on doing the HOHO since we've seen some of the outskirts, and I'm more interested inthe actual city. Are there also walking tours available? One last question, how much is the HOHO and can we pay by credit card? Thanks.

Archived