Rhine River cruise recommendation

SteveU

My wife and I will be doing a Rhine River cruise this fall. I don't have a good feel for the distance of the castles from the river. Do I need a longer zoom (70-200) to get reasonable close-ups, or will something shorter be o.k. I don't want to bring a lot of equipment I'll never use. I'm assuming wide angle will be best for walking around the towns and general landscapes.

A 70-200 should be ok for boat-to shore scenery.

I travel with a 16-50 and a 55-210 as the main kit for my NEX cameras on a cruise. Those replaced the 16-50 and 70-200 for the DSLR and adding a wide 12mm prime covers about 99% of what I ever want to shoot.

Enjoy the river cruise! It is definitely on our bucket list.

Dave

Edited by pierces

My wife and I will be doing a Rhine River cruise this fall. I don't have a good feel for the distance of the castles from the river. Do I need a longer zoom (70-200) to get reasonable close-ups, or will something shorter be o.k. I don't want to bring a lot of equipment I'll never use. I'm assuming wide angle will be best for walking around the towns and general landscapes.

For our Ohio "neighbor", a 70-200mm lens would be good to have. I think you would get some decent use out of that lens. Below are three of my pictures from 2002 while sailing along the Rhine and nearby in Germany. Fun, interesting area. Lots of variety to see and capture with your camera. Getting "closer" on some of these castles and other landmarks along the river can be interesting and of value.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 91,530 views for this posting.

Along German’s Rhine River, here are three of my examples of castles used for defensive purposes along this famed transportation link. Many of these castles go back hundreds of years and were used to collect tolls along the river, stop enemies, protect people from attacks, etc. We stayed overnight in the second castle that has been converted to a hotel and dining place. That was a fun, interesting night!!:

GermanyCastleTopLowerTowerRhine.jpg

GermanyCastleRhineChurch.jpg

GermanyRhineCastleOnHill.jpg

A 70-200 should be ok for boat-to shore scenery.

I travel with a 16-50 and a 55-210 as the main kit for my NEX cameras on a cruise. and adding a wide 12mm prime covers about 99% of what I ever want to shoot.

Dave

Great minds think alike! :-)

Thanks for the examples Terry. If your shots were taken with something in the 200mm range, than it will definitely be worth bringing it along. I'll also have a 24-105 I would anticipate using for most of the shore excursions

Thanks for the examples Terry. If your shots were taken with something in the 200mm range, than it will definitely be worth bringing it along. I'll also have a 24-105 I would anticipate using for most of the shore excursions

Appreciate this follow-up from our Ohio neighbor. I checked on my pictures that I shared earlier to see the lens size used for each shot. Unfortunately because those pictures were from 2003 and with a totally different camera, that type of info was not available. Your 24-105 will be good for many shots. BUT, having that added creative flexibility/lens size would be nice. Good luck on your adventure. Let us know any other questions or way we can be of help.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 192,233 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474