Good/bad idea? Capilano late afternoon the day of the fireworks?

We fly in Sat afternoon July 23rd and I was thinking that if we went to Capilano late afternoon we might miss the early morning crowds and perhaps most of the people heading to the fireworks in English Bay? Good idea or bad idea? Is fireworks traffic just going to make going anywhere impossible? We won't have a car. We will either utilize a shuttle to Capilano or we will have access to our hotels bicycles or even a town car service to putz around the seawall and Stanley Park...OR am I crazy to even think that I can navigate the crowds that night? Maybe we should just hang out at the hotel pool (Fairmont Pacific Rim)??? We aren't big into going out to eat so don't need suggestions for going and having a nice dinner somewhere.... Thanks in advance for any insight!

Kathy

We fly in Sat afternoon July 23rd and I was thinking that if we went to Capilano late afternoon we might miss the early morning crowds and perhaps most of the people heading to the fireworks in English Bay? Good idea or bad idea? Is fireworks traffic just going to make going anywhere impossible? We won't have a car. We will either utilize a shuttle to Capilano or we will have access to our hotels bicycles or even a town car service to putz around the seawall and Stanley Park...OR am I crazy to even think that I can navigate the crowds that night? Maybe we should just hang out at the hotel pool (Fairmont Pacific Rim)??? We aren't big into going out to eat so don't need suggestions for going and having a nice dinner somewhere.... Thanks in advance for any insight!

Kathy

What time of day are you arriving? That would determine whether you have the time to visit . I would personally just hang out around the hotel and take a walk to Stanly Park and back. You are on the opposte side of Vancouver from English Bay . People start arriving for the fireworks around 5-6 PM.

With a little planning.... I vote for GOOD IDEA.

• Let's start with your scheduled YVR arrival time... we need to discuss your arrival window and when the last Capilano shuttles operate.
  • After 4:30pm.... the Capilano Bridge starts to get quiet until they close at 8pm.
  • if you can't make the last shuttles around 6pm... public transit is an option to the Seabus ferry. Avoid the taxi's and buses that go over the bridge.
  • We also need to discuss your dinner plans. Many downtown restaurants will be busy and reservations may be filled. You may choose to eat at one of the North Vancouver restaurants that evening before taking the ferry downtown. If you want to eat at the Observatory.... your gondola ride to Grouse Mountain is FREE! Although the meal price will be up there too.

I would definitely go if you arrive early enough and take the Capilano Shuttle to the bridge but I might opt for public transit on the way back (note buses only accept Canadian $$ and the drivers do not give change so make sure you have the correct amount)

Just catch the bus on the way downhill right outside Capilano bridge and ride it to the end ... that will be Lonsdale Quay where you will transfer to the SeaBus to cross the harbour (yes same ticket) You can walk from the SkyBus terminal back to your hotel on the Vancouver side only about 4 blocks. This way you will avoid any traffic jams caused by people trying to get to the fireworks.

With a little planning.... I vote for GOOD IDEA.

• Let's start with your scheduled YVR arrival time... we need to discuss your arrival window and when the last Capilano shuttles operate.
  • After 4:30pm.... the Capilano Bridge starts to get quiet until they close at 8pm.
  • if you can't make the last shuttles around 6pm... public transit is an option to the Seabus ferry. Avoid the taxi's and buses that go over the bridge.
  • We also need to discuss your dinner plans. Many downtown restaurants will be busy and reservations may be filled. You may choose to eat at one of the North Vancouver restaurants that evening before taking the ferry downtown. If you want to eat at the Observatory.... your gondola ride to Grouse Mountain is FREE! Although the meal price will be up there too.

We arrive at 12:30 pm. Figured that would give us enough time to get to our hotel - the Fairmont Pacific Rim and then catch the free shuttle up to Capilano. I am not sure if we want to do Grouse Mountain. I am from Utah and it sounds a lot like what we have up in our mountains so I'm not sure it is worth the extra expense. Also, I am spending a small fortune on our shore excursions as well. We don't plan to eat out at any fancy restaurants while we are in Vancouver. Maybe a Japadog or Go Fish - definitely on a smaller scale. I just wondered if the crowds would be less at Capilano around 5:00ish since everyone would be heading to the English Bay area. Seems like mornings are the most crowded time there....

Edited by Bug'sMom

We arrive at 12:30 pm. Figured that would give us enough time to get to our hotel - the Fairmont Pacific Rim and then catch the free shuttle up to Capilano. I am not sure if we want to do Grouse Mountain. I am from Utah and it sounds a lot like what we have up in our mountains so I'm not sure it is worth the extra expense. Also' date=' I am spending a small fortune on our shore excursions as well. We don't plan to eat out at any fancy restaurants while we are in Vancouver. Maybe a Japadog or Go Fish - definitely on a smaller scale. I just wondered if the crowds would be less at Capilano around 5:00ish since everyone would be heading to the English Bay area. Seems like mornings are the most crowded time there....[/quote']That's an early afternoon arrival.... you have LOTS of time....

Possible itinerary

• 12:30 wheels down
  • 1pm get taxi
  • 1:45pm dump luggage at hotel. I'm giving you extra 15 minutes for potential congestion getting to hotel
  • 2:30pm shuttle. This is where you will be waiting. Saturdays can be busy and you need to wait for a few shuttles. Otherwise.... Seabus and public transit to the bridge.
  • 4pm arrive at Capilano as the crowds are dispersing
  • 5:30pm catch one of the last shuttles of the day to return to Vancouver.

[YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

That's an early afternoon arrival.... you have LOTS of time....

Possible itinerary

• 12:30 wheels down
  • 1pm get taxi
  • 1:45pm dump luggage at hotel. I'm giving you extra 15 minutes for potential congestion getting to hotel
  • 2:30pm shuttle. This is where you will be waiting. Saturdays can be busy and you need to wait for a few shuttles. Otherwise.... Seabus and public transit to the bridge.
  • 4pm arrive at Capilano as the crowds are dispersing
  • 5:30pm catch one of the last shuttles of the day to return to Vancouver.

pJdkKFNLYOE

I would add 60 minutes to clear Vancouver airport . The airport can be a zoo during cruise ship season . You have to clear customs in Vancouver. Unless you have global entry or nexus you won't clear customs in 30 minutes.

You're right, forget Grouse.

I don't expect that the fireworks will have any effect on the Capilano crowds, IMHO. It's a long way from one to the other and this is a big city with lots of tourists and traffic everywhere no matter what's on.

Capilano closes 2 hours before the fireworks begin.

The issue is getting back into the downtown and planning where to eat. That requires some planning around the congestion for the best experience.

Capilano closes 2 hours before the fireworks begin.

The issue is getting back into the downtown and planning where to eat. That requires some planning around the congestion for the best experience.

Perhaps I am being naive since I have no idea what I am doing in a new town but I was assuming that we would take the free shuttle back to Canada Place around 7:00ish (during the summer the schedule says they run until 8:00 pm) and then just picking up something quick around our hotel (the FPR) (fast food?) and then just leisurely walk over towards English Bay around 9:00ish and hope for the best. I don't imagine that we will be able to get near the water so perhaps just see the ones in the sky.

May I say XLXO that you are most helpful! In my pouring over the travel message boards, I have noticed that you are always quick to jump in and offer up your insight and experience! Thank you so much!

Edited by Bug'sMom

naïve is good.... basically because your flight arrives early afternoon.... you have time to do the things you want to do (eg Capilano).

Yes you can return via shuttle downtown... just be prepared for a little more congestion than usual. If the shuttle is not running.... plan for public transit or taxi to the Seabus terminal.

Vancouver is a whole new experience and I feel like a fish out of water!

Kathy

Don't worry. We speak tourist here. Getting through customs and to downtown is going to take time. It depends on how many other international flights are arriving at the same time. There is no chance of "wheels down to a taxi" in 30 minutes unless you are the only flight at 2am.

Play your schedule by ear. If you have 3-4 hours from the time you leave your hotel then, by all means, go to capilano. Use the shuttle or take the Seabus and then taxi from the north shore Seabus station to capilano. Grab a bite to eat on that side rather than hunt for restaurants downtown. It's all about making your vacation less stressful. A too tight schedule means frayed nerves and bad memories.

The fireworks. Yup...you and a few hundred thousand of your closest friends. The nicer the weather....the more people. Don't worry....it's like Disneyland on a holiday weekend. If you can see the water and the launch barges then you will see everything. It's very obvious. You just 'go" with the masses. I won't confuse you with "best vantage" points or insider tips. Allow an hour to walk over and find your preference for a perch amongst the hoardes.

Weather? Hopefully it's nice but July has been a bit in the bucket this year. Cool. You might want a light jacket or sweater. The weather will be what it is when you get here.

Just don't make your schedule so tight that you are stressed to get here or there. Always have plan b. Enjoy!

I usually pickup friends 30 minutes post-wheels down. I look at flightstats.com and focus on this time window to minimize parking charges.

However some get mouthy and end up in secondary. Then it can be 2 hours plus for the VIP treatment.

When deplaning, I have my luggage, through customs and at the taxi stand in 25 minutes. It will be slower for a tourist not familiar with YVR.

I agree not to plan the timing down to the minute. Flight delays too can mess things up. I always have lots of energy.... however after getting into the hotel room.... sometimes I just want to crash for the new timezone.