Another Baths question

delta13

Still trying to decide what to do in Tortola. Trying to decide between Cane Garden or the Baths. The more I read about the Baths, I'm thinking that should be our choice. I don't really want to spend the $72 price tag for the NCL tour. I was thinking if we take the 7:45 ferry and instead of the 12:40 and in order to give us a back up, I think I saw an 11:30 back to Tortola. Is this sufficient time for the Baths visit or would I need to depend on the 12:40 for more time?

• 1 month later...

What do people do for lunch at the Baths? Do most eat/drink at the restaurant on the top of baths, or has anyone "traveled" to another spot for lunch?

I would be concerned about making it back for the 12:40pm ferry (would be doing this on our own)

HI, look at this thread and start at post #16 she has very crucial info on that 1130 ferry time.If your cruise is off season there is no 1130 ferry only the later one around 1240.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2264054

Aubrey (the poster in the thread you attached a link to) was mistaken as there is no 11:30AM return ferry from Virgin Gorda for either Speedy's or Smith's. And the ferry companies will have extra ferries available when needed, they're very reliable.

What do people do for lunch at the Baths? Do most eat/drink at the restaurant on the top of baths, or has anyone "traveled" to another spot for lunch?

I would be concerned about making it back for the 12:40pm ferry (would be doing this on our own)

Most people will either eat at the Top of the Baths or wait until they're back to the ship. But there are other options!

I'd suggest having a driver drop you at the Mineshaft Cafe which isn't too far from the Baths. Situated atop the mountain at the old mine there's a spectacular panoramic view and their signature drink, the "Cave In", is amazing - "It's all in the Juice, Mon!". Great lunch as well of course. The taxi fares are very affordable and the drivers will work with you so you can see a few different spots other than the Baths. Or you can just taxi back to Spanishtown which is within walking distance of the ferry dock and eat at the Bath & Turtle and shop.

Kudos for going on your own, you have more flexibility and can often schedule your time at the Baths before or after the big crowd. Spring Bay is nearby and is great for that.

Edited by blue_water

Still trying to decide what to do in Tortola. Trying to decide between Cane Garden or the Baths. The more I read about the Baths, I'm thinking that should be our choice. I don't really want to spend the $72 price tag for the NCL tour. I was thinking if we take the 7:45 ferry and instead of the 12:40 and in order to give us a back up, I think I saw an 11:30 back to Tortola. Is this sufficient time for the Baths visit or would I need to depend on the 12:40 for more time?

When do you arrive/depart Tortola? No need to take the ship excursion unless you really want that...Going on your own is very easy and the cost is about $40pp for the ferry, taxi, and fee.

CGB will be full of your fellow cruise ship passengers so if you choose to go to a beach on Tortola consider Brewers Bay or Long Bay (Tortola), both will be a much nicer experience and both have enough amenities.

Edited by blue_water

Aubrey (the poster in the thread you attached a link to) was mistaken as there is no 11:30AM return ferry from Virgin Gorda for either Speedy's or Smith's. And the ferry companies will have extra ferries available when needed, they're very reliable.

I didn't read the entire thread and missed the note that there was an 11:30 on an older schedule. Never saw that departure offered...

But they do a great job of accommodating the bigger crowds now coming off the new NCL ships.

I didn't read the entire thread and missed the note that there was an 11:30 on an older schedule. Never saw that departure offered...

But they do a great job of accommodating the bigger crowds now coming off the new NCL ships.

Have not booked a "ship excursion" in a long time! However since we have to be back at the NCL ship by 2.30pm I think I may break down and take the NCL trip to the Baths. So can I assume that NCL rents a ferry over there and back, or do they just funnel us onto a regularly schedule ferry open to the public? I hate the idea of lining up and being part of the heard of tourists, but the idea of missing the boat is kind of scary as well. If we took the 7.45am ferry there and went on our own, what ferry time would you recommend to catch to get back on time. And are we 100% sure there is a ferry at that time!

Thanks!!

They add ferries as needed to accommodate the number of people being delivered to VG. Nothing is 100%, but we would not hesitate to go on our own and take the 12:40 return. If you still have concerns just be in line at the return ferry dock early. Spanishtown is within walking distance of the ferry terminal, on VG, you could grab a bite and eat that while waiting :)

They add ferries as needed to accommodate the number of people being delivered to VG. Nothing is 100%, but we would not hesitate to go on our own and take the 12:40 return. If you still have concerns just be in line at the return ferry dock early. Spanishtown is within walking distance of the ferry terminal, on VG, you could grab a bite and eat that while waiting :)

Thanks Blue Water! We did the tour of the Tortola last June, so Baths next and then the Soggy Dollar in March. I appreciate your help!