Thomson's Cruises and Football Query

Hi all,

I am a new member to the board and I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding some of the Thomson ships and how they handle entertainment when an International football tournament is on such as the World Cup.

Last year I was on the Celebration in June when England played Uruguay. On the night of the game the Broadway show lounge still did two performances of a show at the regular times but the entertainment in Liberties was affected as that was where the match was shown. I believe they did the early evening quizzes but there was no game show that night due to the clash with the football (10pm kick off ship time), no band (the outstanding Top Men) aside from early evening, and no late night cabaret.

Whilst this wasn't a problem for myself as I wanted to watch the football not everyone in my party did and they subsequently struggled that night to be entertained through the whole evening as they felt there wasn't a lot of alternatives that night. As a result we have said that (as much as we love the ship) we'd probably avoid going on the Celebration again whilst a tournament is being held so as not to encounter such an issue again.

What I am interested to know is how did some of the larger Thomson ships such as the Dream and Majesty handled the football that night and how was the usual entertainment affected? I have never been on either ship so don't know much about them. Are they large enough that they can continue to offer alternative entertainment of some kind as well as accommodate special occasions such as the World Cup or was what we found on the Celebration what others experienced on the other ships?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me on this. The reason that I ask is that we are now thinking about our plans for next year and are aware that Euro 2016 will be underway in June so we're trying to work out if we should be looking to avoid June altogether regardless of the ship or if we'd be safe going on one of Thomson's larger ships.

In my experience it doesn't matter where you are - at sea, hotel based, at home - everything is affected by tournaments - football, tennis, rugby, Olympics etc so if you don't like sport take something you can entertain yourself with!

I don't know about cruise ships but on hotel based holidays football is usually on in the hotel or bars but it doesn't affect other types of entertainment.

I think if people really dislike football being a prominent feature of the evening then June 2016 might not be the best time to holiday.

I don't really watch it much but I find the bigger tournaments quite exciting so do watch a match or two!

I'm sure you will have a great time anyway!

Being based around the British market, they do ensure that the games are shown. Celebration and spirit are limited for placed to do this and the cinema area didn't have the facility for live feeds so they used the show lounge

The larger ships have more space to pick from. I've not been on majesty so vp cannot comment directly for that ship