Turkish Visa - changes

Has anybody else picked up on recent changes to Turkish Visas conditions ?

We had a week in Marmaris in April and I downloaded visas from the official internet site - valid for 90 days and cost US $20.00 each on the credit card.

Unfortunately the validity period doesn't cover our forthcoming Ancient Wonders cruise so I've just completed the process again - now valid for 180 days and there is an additional US $0.70 service charge per application.

Not sure how they've managed to produce a "service charge" as it's the applicant that does all the admin !!!

Just something to note if you are likely to have more than one visit within a six month period.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Here's the official website...

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

I think you'll find that the e-visa [for a UK Passport Holder) is...

- Multiple entry

- Valid for 6 months from date of issue

- No single visit during the life of the visa can be for more than 90 days

Not sure about the service charge. Perhaps it's because a credit card was used as opposed to a debit card.

This is the bit from the FAQs referring to cruise ship passengers...

According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection which entered into force on 11th April 2014, those foreigners who arrive at sea ports and intend to visit the seaport city or nearby provinces for touristic purpose are exempt from visa provided that their stay does not exceed seventy two (72) hours.

Here's the official website...

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

I think you'll find that the e-visa [for a UK Passport Holder) is...

- Multiple entry

- Valid for 6 months from date of issue

- No single visit during the life of the visa can be for more than 90 days

Not sure about the service charge. Perhaps it's because a credit card was used as opposed to a debit card.

This is the bit from the FAQs referring to cruise ship passengers...

According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection which entered into force on 11th April 2014, those foreigners who arrive at sea ports and intend to visit the seaport city or nearby provinces for touristic purpose are exempt from visa provided that their stay does not exceed seventy two (72) hours.

Thanks Lancaster Lad - clearly the last paragraph covers our situation. (Sorry about the earlier double post - only just spotted it.)

Kruzseeka - unless I'm totally wrong, you don't need a visa for a port of call visit where the cruise starts and ends outwith Turkey.

Otherwise it's needed if you enter Turkey in order to join your ship there, just like any other tourist etc. entering the country.

The visa we got in April was valid for a period of 90 days from date of issue, whereas the new one is for 180 days.

No explanation of why there was a difference.

I used the same credit card each time, the first charge was US $20.00 each (no service charge indicated) and the second one was US $20.70 each, with service charge flagged up as an extra.

The additional 70 cents is a Turkish government charge, not the credit card company - no idea if it is imposed for debit card transactions.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Thanks for that clarification WCM - so if I'm reading this correctly, that means you do need one if joining a cruise in Marmaris. That would explain my confusion over what I thought was conflicting info in terms of needing/not needing a visa after reading a few theads on Turkish visas. We joined in Athens so presumably that's why we avoided it.

We have had to get a visa because our cruise ends in Marmaris, (starts in Harwich) so in effect we have had to pay for visas for a coach trip to the airport! Ridiculous!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for that clarification WCM - so if I'm reading this correctly, that means you do need one if joining a cruise in Marmaris. That would explain my confusion over what I thought was conflicting info in terms of needing/not needing a visa after reading a few theads on Turkish visas. We joined in Athens so presumably that's why we avoided it.

Yes, you need a visa - although this wasn't the case previously for cruise passengers who were in direct transit from their point of entry into Turkey to the ship.

There was a bit of debate here when the visa procedure was changed earlier this year - as the Turkish government aimed to have all visas pre-booked/pre-paid online ahead of travel.

They decreed that visas could no longer be paid for on arrival at airports etc. This however caused significant problems for their holiday industry as many tourist were unaware of the change - so a time extension was granted for this summer season only.

We have had to get a visa because our cruise ends in Marmaris, (starts in Harwich) so in effect we have had to pay for visas for a coach trip to the airport! Ridiculous!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Seems harsh right enough, especially as you only need a "half visa" to get out of the country.

It's purely a money raising procedure (Thomsons must be envious) - if Turkey wants to get into the European Union at some point I hope Brussels/Strasbourg tells them to Foxtrot Oscar on visas for EU citizens.

I've had a quick look at my visa this morning - misinterpreted the period of validity with the maximum length of stay.

The visa is valid for 180 days, with multiple entries - but you cannot stay longer than 90 days in total during that period.

Apologies for misreading that condition.

Otherwise I believe the rest of what I said is valid - but happy to be corrected.