Taxi, Victor, Rony, or Other?

Ronaldo807

My wife and I want to spend a few hours at West Bay beach and possibly see the monkeys too. We don't want to be part of a tour group. From a cost perspective, which transportation option would be best? We have never been to Roatan so I don't know if taxis can be safely arranged for lower prices outside of the gates, if they are readily available to take back from West Bay, if people bring the monkeys to the beach, etc... Any insight is greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

For the price of a taxi, Victor Bodden will take you and pick you up and you will get to see the monkeys :) But I will never go back to West Bay, specifically Bananarama (not sure if the other areas are as bad) because last time I was there, the vendors were horrible! Usually I dont mind pushy vendors but these people were relentless. They even grabbed our feet when we were trying to sun bathe. Had to go in the water just to get a way from them. It was horrible. Victor said Bananarama has a new owner and apparently doesn't discourage the vendors like the previous one did.

• 2 months later...

We've used Rony many times. He is an awesome guy. He is very friendly and will make sure you have an incredible day. His business is much smaller than Victor's. Every customer is important to him. I can't imagine that you'd find a better driver for the day. We highly recommend him!

I just booked with Steve Bush of Roatan Trips and Tours again for our March 8th sailing on the Emerald Princess. We did the full island tour last time but just a beach break this time. Steve is great. I think you would be pleased.

We booked through Rony's Tours in January, and went to the orphanage in Sandy Bay, West Bay beach, and West End Village. I give a detailed, picture-intensive, review of the tour beginning at post #76:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169332&page=4

Rony's Tours was a great choice and we would definitely use them again!