Dining Options

CoSec

Sorry to be a bore, as I know this has been addressed on other threads, but just what should we expect on Sojourn in the Med in June by way of the impact of the Thomas Keller affair? My wife and I have been travelling Seabourn since 2011 and this year we are taking our three children with us to celebrate my 60th and retirement. Obviously they are all in their 20s. Our great delight on previous cruises was to dine outside in The Colonnade. No booking required. As far as I can gather the TK affair will mean that dining in The Colonnade is by reservation only every other night. More ominously it will be a take it or leave it menu where we all have to have the same thing. Worse, half the party are vegetarians and TK is carnivore driven. As far as I can make our there is no vegetarian option inTK. We had noted on earlier cruises that the veggie offering was poor but at least if you asked they would attempt something. So is it to be our expectation that because Seabourn have teamed up with a vanity chef directed at an essentially US based audience who may have heard of him that a key enjoyment of our vacation will only be available every other day? If so how does that square with a 5 star service offering for ALL customers . It all sounds very old hat and lagging behind the trend, now that informal dining and customer satisfaction rather than star chef self regard has become the thing ( at least in London).

I do not by any means claim to be a Seabourn expert, nor do I have any particular knowledge beyond what I have gathered by reading, but I think the plan is to renovate the Restaurant 2 to become a TK venue at which time the Colonnade will revert to its prior configuration. And although I do not have experience with the TK on Seabourn, I would be surprised if there were not vegetarian options available in the TK venue. He features very nice vegetarian dishes at his brick and mortar establishments. My impression was that the Colonnade was used as a testing site for some of the dishes. I am certain others will correct me if I am off base. Yes, TK is a "star" chef, but I look at this as an exciting venture and opportunity to try some innovative cuisine from a chef who is obsessive about his ingredients.

We experienced TK on the Odyssey a few months ago and the OPs concerns mirrored our own. We were not told about any Vegetarian options and so for half the cruise could not use the Colonnade. We do eat meat but as there were only two TK menus in the Colonnade we did not fancy Ribs or Beef every second night.

the plan is to renovate the Restaurant 2 to become a TK venue at which time the Colonnade will revert to its prior configuration.

That's also what we were told when we were on Odyssey a few weeks ago. As each ship goes into dry dock R2 will be changed into a TK venue. I don't know when Sojourn is due to have this work done.

There was no vegetarian option on offer in the Colonnade on TK nights when we were onboard. I guess this could change at any time though, especially if vegetarian guests make their opinions heard.

There was a vegetarian main course offered on the TK menu in the MDR.

I think we all need to bear in mind that TK plans could change somewhat as the menus are implemented. Or maybe they won't, but no harm in future cruisers asking for updates here.

We were on the Sojourn in December before they had TK but It was stated on board that Colonnade was by reservation only every night. This did surprise us but we had no trouble getting a table.:)

That's odd. I wonder why they said that?

On Odyssey, Colonnade was reservation only on the nights of the TK menu. TK was served on alternate evenings. Other nights when it was the familiar menus, no reservation required, so as normal.

Updates from our current Odyssey cruisers would definitely be helpful.

That's odd. I wonder why they said that?

On Odyssey, Colonnade was reservation only on the nights of the TK menu. TK was served on alternate evenings. Other nights when it was the familiar menus, no reservation required, so as normal.

Updates from our current Odyssey cruisers would definitely be helpful.

As we sail into Sydney on the Odyssey. The Colonnade is reservation only on TK nights......However I have been trying to remember exactly but I am sure we have only had them only once or twice a week in the Colonnade. Definitely not alternate evenings. I think it is about every five days. Having too much fun to try and remember these sort of details.

No reservation required in the Colonnade on the non TK nights.

Julie

Of course the TK nights at the Colonnade offer veggie mains; you just need to ask the server. I've had grilled zucchini one night and mushrooms another. Both were delicious - especially the latter - albeit not terribly exciting; however, in conjunction with the lovely salad, cheese, and dessert courses, the whole meal was enjoyable and a good departure from the usual Colonnade dinner experience, which is unremarkable for vegetarians anyway.

Vegetarian dishes (the traditional ones as well as the new TK choices) at the MDR are excellent. If dining at the Colonnade, vegetarian guests can request those brought up from the MDR, because most often there won't be much, if anything, for vegetarians at the Colonnade at dinnertime.

As we sail into Sydney on the Odyssey. The Colonnade is reservation only on TK nights......However I have been trying to remember exactly but I am sure we have only had them only once or twice a week in the Colonnade. Definitely not alternate evenings. I think it is about every five days. Having too much fun to try and remember these sort of details.

No reservation required in the Colonnade on the non TK nights.

Julie

Thanks Julie, and glad to read you're having lots of fun!

Of course the TK nights at the Colonnade offer veggie mains; you just need to ask the server.

Well if it's a case of "of course" why on earth don't they list a veggie option on the flipping menu?

There are times when even committed carnivores may be tempted by trying a vegetarian dish.

It makes no sense for them to not add the vegetarian choice to the actual printed menus, what's the reasoning behind that?

Edited - to answer my own question, is it so they can turn round in a short while and say there's no demand for a vegetarian choice?

Edited by Nigella

Well if it's a case of "of course" why on earth don't they list a veggie option on the flipping menu?

There are times when even committed carnivores may be tempted by trying a vegetarian dish.

It makes no sense for them to not add the vegetarian choice to the actual printed menus, what's the reasoning behind that?

Edited - to answer my own question, is it so they can turn round in a short while and say there's no demand for a vegetarian choice?

I haven't been to Ad Hoc, but from online reviews I gather that veggie mains are also upon request there; if that's true, it follows thus that the printed menu on TK nights at the Colonnade follows the same format, i.e. without explicit mention of the available veggie substitute for the main.

No conspiracy theory here, and not a big deal, really. A simple request is all it takes. Relax and enjoy - it's Seabourn... But of course!