RCL and Labadee access

Rick Knee

Currently we are on Allure of the Seas, in an accessible junior suite.

Today we went ashore at Labedee to enjoy the BBQ luncheon that suite passengers were entitled too, according to RCL.

When we arrived at the venue we found asphalt sidewalks leading to the BBQ site. The problem was the asphalt sidewalks ended about 50 feet from the shaded serving line. When I complained they said I would have to transfer to a beach wheelchair and abandon my power chair. I asked if they had trained help, they said no.

No healthy folks were expected to accept food from a stranger and eat on a hot sunny sidewalk.

I complained at the site, and on-board the ship when I returned. I never got the lunch I had paid for.

As for having untrained people assist with a transfer I declined because a year ago I fell while doing this and actually fractured my neck at C1. I nearly died. I wasn't going to try it again.

While the ship is very accessible this excursion venue in NOT. Others in wheelchairs were also being denied lunch.

I will be filing a complaint with RCL, they can do better.

Rick Kneeshaw

Do you not research all your ports of call before you book your cruise? I certainly do, so I don't get any nasty surprises as happened to you.

I agree they could have been more helpful and have thought it out more when they set up the BBQ, but did you make enquiries when you booked the excursion?

For those that will be going to Labadee, it is doable. However, you have to pay attention to the terrain. I do not believe that there is an accessible route to the cabanas and I do not know if all the cafes are accessible. I think we ate at the Dragon Cafe. To my knowledge, there is not a separate charge for enjoying the barbecue. Other than the beach areas, I do not recall sand being an obstacle. Scooters do not like sand at all.

Betty

We have visited Labadee on Celebrity ship and found it to be reasonably but certainly not 100% accessible. That said, the OP's experience was inexcusable and RCL should be ashamed.

Edited by Putterdude

Today we went ashore at Labedee to enjoy the BBQ luncheon that suite passengers were entitled too, according to RCL.

When we arrived at the venue we found asphalt sidewalks leading to the BBQ site. The problem was the asphalt sidewalks ended about 50 feet from the shaded serving line. When I complained they said I would have to transfer to a beach wheelchair and abandon my power chair. I asked if they had trained help, they said no.

No healthy folks were expected to accept food from a stranger and eat on a hot sunny sidewalk.

I complained at the site, and on-board the ship when I returned. I never got the lunch I had paid for.

As for having untrained people assist with a transfer I declined because a year ago I fell while doing this and actually fractured my neck at C1. I nearly died. I wasn't going to try it again.

While the ship is very accessible this excursion venue in NOT. Others in wheelchairs were also being denied lunch.

Rick Kneeshaw

Did you ask for the medical staff to assist you, knowing your previous history? We have a wheelchair bound son, and upon boarding, we spoke with the medical staff about transfer help on and off the ship.. Including Labadee. They were wonderful, and helped him into the beach wheelchair.

He has Spina Bifida, and has no lower body function.

Make sure to research all avenues before going on your next cruise.. There is help if you know who to ask.. I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction...

We saw the wheelchair bound individuals getting extra attention, so I am unsure what happened in your case..

For those that will be going to Labadee, it is doable. However, you have to pay attention to the terrain. I do not believe that there is an accessible route to the cabanas and I do not know if all the cafes are accessible. I think we ate at the Dragon Cafe. To my knowledge, there is not a separate charge for enjoying the barbecue. Other than the beach areas, I do not recall sand being an obstacle. Scooters do not like sand at all.

Betty

There are pathways to cabanas, because the have wheelchair accessible cabanas. We have booked and used them with our handicapped son, who is wheelchair bound..

• 2 weeks later...

Alternatively, there is still lunch available on the ship, which is fully accessible. The only place the ship would be certain to meet food allergy needs was on the ship, so my DD ate on the ship. That was an option.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
is there a tram or golf cart to take to get the area on Labadee? I do not use a wc but have pulmonary issues and can not walk long distances in the humidity, thank you!!

Hi Seagal, It has been a few years since I was at Labadee, but at that time there were men, with the beach wheelchairs, offering rides from the ship to Labadee and from Labadee back to the ship. These men are working for tips, and because it was very hot, the pier is long, and I am not a lightweight, I was generous and thankful.

Sorry for your problems at Labadee. I hope they were resolved to your satisfaction. You have given me things to think about on our next cruise there. We have an accessible JS booked on Harmony of the seas, (cabin 14654) and I am looking for more information, possibly pictures of this cabin. Can you share your experience, likes or dislikes? Do you know if it is larger than a regular accessible balcony cabin? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rick Kneeshaw

There are pathways to cabanas, because the have wheelchair accessible cabanas. We have booked and used them with our handicapped son, who is wheelchair bound..

Hi, we are traveling to Labadee with my son that requires a wheelchair as well. Could you give me more information about the wheelchair accessible cabanas, and how we might go about getting one. Any info you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

A couple of years ago my sister and I were on RCL Allure and stopped at Labadee. I had reserved an accessible cabana. The day we got in, I checked everything out alone before we headed out together. The cabana was indeed accessible but getting from the cabana to an accessible bathroom was not without encountering sand. Because of our particular circumstances I ended up getting a refund on the cabana and we spent the day on the ship. It was disappointing but we've learned that the word "accessible" is very different once you leave the United States.

This year we're headed to New England and Canada on Princess. We have two tender ports but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've heard good things about Princess's tender process (we've never taken a cruise that required a tender).

Sorry your excursion was disappointing.