Princess Tender for Maui, Hawaii w/ Manual Wheelchair

kyriecat

My mom plans to use a manual wheelchair for tours on her upcoming Hawaii cruise on Star Princess. One of the stops (Maui) requires a tender. My mom is unable to walk. The Princess rep that I spoke with said that she should be able to roll onto the tender if the crew determines that conditions are safe for wheelchair users. However, from a few comments that I read posted on this board, it sounds like reality is Princess does not allow anyone who cannot walk to board a tender.

Can anyone who has sailed with Princess please confirm? We've sailed Royal Caribbean exclusively in the past and they allow passengers in wheelchairs to board tenders if conditions are deemed safe.

I understand the need to deny wheelchair passengers tender access if conditions are deemed unsafe. My mom does not want to try to roll across a gangway that is pitching and moving. My question is whether they will allow her on the tender if conditions appear to be calm.

Only of aware of HAL having w roll-on wheelchair tenders. Not aware that Princess has this type of tender . Nor does Princess' website clearly state that roll-on tenders are available on their ships.

Following is Princess' official position regarding tendering with mobility devices.

Tender Port Policy ( key point you need to be aware of have been highlighted . Here's the link to the website
)

The goal of Princess Cruises is to provide a safe comfortable cruise experience for all passengers. If you will be using a mobility device during your sailing we strongly recommend you travel with a person physically fit to assist with your needs both onboard and ashore.

Embarking and disembarking can be challenging for those with limited mobility. Many major ports of call provide easy access for wheelchairs and scooters. However due to various conditions; steepness of the gangway, weather, shore-side facilities, tidal and sea conditions, passengers using mobility devices may be required to transfer to a stair climber or be precluded from going ashore.
Princess staff will make every effort to assist but are not allowed to individually physically lift more than 50 pounds (22 kg).

Some ports of call require the ship to anchor off shore. Passengers are then taken to shore by small boats or tenders.
When tendering is required, passengers using mobility devices will not be transferred into or out of the tender, if lifting in excess of the above limitation is required. Many tender ports do not provide wheelchair access so even if the passenger can board the tender they may not be able to disembark ashore. Again the shore-side facilities, movement of the tender, weather and tidal conditions can also preclude tendering.

The decision to allow any passenger to board a tender or disembark the vessel will be made by the Captain on the basis of the safety and welfare of all involved and is final.

If passengers are unable to tender or disembark because of circumstances outlined above there will be no refund or credit for missed ports.
While Princess recognizes your disappointment the safety of both passengers and crew takes precedence.

Thank you but the issue is the Princess policy doesn't answer my question and I am not sure the Princess representative gave me correct information. I assume my previous post wasn't clear about why I am asking this question so I will try to clarify.

I have a copy of that same Princess policy and found it confusing. I called and asked a representative whether my mom would be able to roll onto the tender in Maui. I explained that she uses a manual wheelchair and is unable to walk. The representative told me that if conditions were deemed safe, then she could do so. Mom has been able to roll onto a Royal Caribbean tender on past cruises so I found the answer plausible.

I read a post on this board while seraching for Hawaii excursions that said Princess does not allow any wheelchair or scooter users on the tenders, which contradicts what the Princess representative told me on the phone. I know the office staff do not always have valid information so I thought I would post here to see if I could get feedback from anyone with personal experience.

Can anyone who had travelled to Hawaii on a Princess ship and uses a manual wheelchair tell me whether they were allowed on the tender in Maui?

Given that Princess cruises is not known for having roll-on tenders it's very questionable that your mother will be able to tender while seated in her wheelchair.

Perhaps the customer service rep did not fully understand that your mother could not walk onto the tender. Instead the rep possibly may have given their reply thinking that a collapsable wheelchair was being used and that your mother could walk on with assistance ? Did you speak directly to the Princess Access office at 661-284-4521 ?

On our Princess cruise to Hawaii I had taken my scooter and my wheelchair. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to tender into Maui. The sea was a bit rough, and I would not have been allowed to tender anyway unless I could have walked on. We did have a nice relaxing ship day watching whales in the bay, doing laundry and reading. On the Princess ships we have been on, I have never seen a roll on tender. The only line I know that has one is Holland America and the Captain still has to approve depending on weather and sea conditions. We still had a wonderful time and hope you do too!

The two times we have cruised to Hawaii on the Diamond and Coral Princess I had to walk onto the tender then my wheelchair was folded a put in a safe place. You also need to walk down a stair to get to the down stair seating( the upsair seating was up a narrow flight of stairs) I am an amputee and use the wheelchair for distance so this was not a problem for me. One of the times the sea was rough and others with walking issues did not go on the tender, I had to convince the crew I was stable enough to do so. It really is up to them, they have to feel its safe for them and for the passenger.

We were told that on the previous cruise the ship did not stop in Maui due to the very high seas. Both of my trips were in Feb. so I don't know about other months. We are taking the SF-Hawaii in March 2013 so I hope I can tender that time.

have a great cruise...we love it.

I was there in May on the Star Princess. I use a walker so I can sit when I need to. I had no trouble getting on the tender but another poster is corredt you have to step down a couple of steps to sit and then back up to get off. They just kept my walker open and locked on the open walking part of the tender. With their help you can walk on and walk off but you have to be able to walk. On the way back the sea was rough and he had a hard time tying up to the ship and had to make several stabs at it. With their help and me being able to step up to the ship with my walker right there I was able to make it. If I had known it was going to be so rough I would not have gone but in the morning it was fine. If your mom can not walk I really do not think she can safely go. If she is not stable on her feet even with a few steps it isn't smart to do so. Enjoy all the other islands with her.

Archived